diy solar

diy solar

how to plan a new system for new construction

dusty41

any good books or systems that allow scaling up with time, currently building new home in Mexico the power is available but a little undependable, how do I start planning it

any good books or systems that allow scaling up with time, currently building new home in Mexico the power is available but a little undependable, how do I start planning it
Figure how much power you use and how much you want to move to solar before buying anything.

You can guess but that could come up short or you could be buying equipment you don’t need.

I had emporia vue on my house for a year before I bought anything.

Your current usage is a starting point. Adjust for larger or smaller house, more or fewer electrical appliances, heating / cooling system, and insulation.

Starting with an eg4 18kpv or solark 15k inverter will give you expandability.

Install all the conduit you may ever need.
(Put panels on all roofs). Ground mount is even better if you have the land.

Start with one roof section. Fully panel the best roof for solar. Compare that to your estimate. Keep adding roof sections until you reach your estimate.

Once you are in the house, if you need more, then pick the next roof section. Of you have too much, you may grow into it.

For batteries, start with one eg4 powerpro (15 kwh). Make it easy to add more batteries.

Your current usage is a starting point. Adjust for larger or smaller house, more or fewer electrical appliances, heating / cooling system, and insulation.

Starting with an eg4 18kpv or solark 15k inverter will give you expandability.

Install all the conduit you may ever need.
(Put panels on all roofs). Ground mount is even better if you have the land.

Start with one roof section. Fully panel the best roof for solar. Compare that to your estimate. Keep adding roof sections until you reach your estimate.

Once you are in the house, if you need more, then pick the next roof section. Of you have too much, you may grow into it.

For batteries, start with one eg4 powerpro (15 kwh). Make it easy to add more batteries.
In Mexico he may be able to get Deye for nearly a third of the price of the Sol-ark. Eg4 warranty requiring ship back to Texas may be an issue as well.

Consider the structure as well. Starting with a clean slate means you can decide position of the house for best roof exposure and build the pitch to the prime angle for your latitude, or place the house in shade and ground mount the panels. Design in a dedicated room and leave it a bit bigger than your initial system plan.
Planning roof over hangs that shade summer sun from blasting in the windows will help reduce cooling costs. Take advantage of every detail you can to make the home efficient. You will thank yourself later.

I hear “solar power for dummies” is good.

You probably want some batteries for an outage. Also in case of outage, make sure the batteries will charge.

Some “ac coupled” batteries may not charge in case of an outage.

Back