diy solar

diy solar

How to Wire an Outlet Off a Switch

guidecca

Couple of questions for a mobile application; a van. Is there a guide for it? Do I need a plastic box for the outlet and switch? The stores sell steel boxes and covers. Should it be 15 Amps or something else? Stranded copper wire or solid?

Something like this without the GFCI switch which disconnects electricity in my system.

15 Amp, 120277 Volt, Toggle Single-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Commercial Grade, White.jpg51VJmrAnUjL._SL1000_.jpg61-AL8tVAWL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

Do you need two outlets, or just one? What you have pictured with at least a steel box (plastic cover) with solid wire would do the trick.

Would you go with 15 Amp or 20 Amp receptacles? Seems like the 20 Amp would hold up better. If I could have four receptacles I would. I think
Tay Mac makes a plastic enclosure but I can't locate it.

I’m not quite understanding your question…

Do you want to know how to connect the switch to break ac power to the outlet?

Do you want to know best practices for installing outlets in a box?

I want to know how to connect the switch to break ac power to the outlet; is 15 Amps what I should use? There are YouTube demonstrations that are helpful but I thought there might be a sticky or guide for taking the ac and powering my mini-split.

I want to know how to connect the switch to break ac power to the outlet; is 15 Amps what I should use?
The amps of the outlet depend on the loads connected to it, and the wire size.

If using the switch in your pic, you would connect line in to the top of the switch terminals, and line out to the bottom terminals.

If 20A is needed, you must use 12gauge conductors. If only 15A, then #14 is ok.

Make sure the switch is rated for the amps you are turning on/off. Plastic or steel box are fine.

You mentioned "hold up better" - Commercial grade outlets/switches hold up better. Hospital grade is even better.

Wire the power to the switch. Wire the switch to the outlet. Neutral amd ground lines go directly to the outlet.

You can hardwire the minisplit to the switch.

The switch in your picture looks like a double pole switch. Are you switching 240v? Normally you switch just the power line. Don't know if there is NEC code about switching the neutral line.

Last edited:
This 20 Amp Commercial Grade Combo Single Pole Switch and Receptacle, Leviton 5335, is the closest I have found so far. The mini-split is 110/120 v only.

51In4Z0tebL-917774910.jpeg

Last edited:
Make sure the switch is rated for the amps you are turning on/off.

The mini-split specifications, attached, for a Senville Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump, 9000 BTU 110/120V, Inverter (SENL-09CD/X) mention: Minimum Circuit Ampacity as 16 amps. Not sure how to read that; maybe the switch and receptacle should be 20 amps.

Attachments

• 517GfnAnT-L.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
16 amp requirement would be a DEDICATED 20 amp circuit. I would not put other loads on the circuit.
The combo 20 amp switch/socket looks good.
I believe 12 awg is the minimum wire size for 20 amps.

I ordered
Leviton 8300-SGW 20 Amp, 125 Volt, Extra Heavy Duty Hospital Grade, Duplex Receptacle, Tamper Resistant, Straight Blade, Self Grounding 20 amp receptacle
51CVuHG5I5L._AC_SS450_.jpg

And this Leviton 1221-2W 20-Amp, 120/277-Volt, Toggle Single-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Spec Grade, Self Grounding switch. 81XyqN92mlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And this BNTECHGO 10 Gauge Silicone Wire Kit 6 Color Each 3 ft Flexible 10 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire
51vmTT+uFaL._SL1024_.jpg

Back