diy solar

diy solar

I'm a 71 year old woman who survived a stroke 3 years ago after watching off grid van dweller videos for about 9 years.

Sorry about your dad. Mine died too when I was young and he did electrical. But did you figure out the amount of time you will use each appliance daily so you have enough in battery storage? Well, if you buy an all in one to start like I posted here, (or from elsewhere) it will get you through with minimal appliances for sure, i.e,. Laptop, LED light, fan (get a usb one or DC (plug in cigarette lighter socket), maybe a small electric blanket (low watt). I have one that has a 10 amp fuse attached to the DC cord. (They use a lot of power). And are you using butane or propane to cook?
[/QUOTE]
Sorry about your dad. Mine died too when I was young and he did electrical. But did you figure out the amount of time you will use each appliance daily so you have enough in battery storage? Well, if you buy an all in one to start like I posted here, (or from elsewhere) it will get you through with minimal appliances for sure, i.e,. Laptop, LED light, fan (get a usb one or DC (plug in cigarette lighter socket), maybe a small electric blanket (low watt). I have one that has a 10 amp fuse attached to the DC cord. (They use a lot of power). And are you using butane or propane to cook?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Santa. I'm pretty desperate right now since I have to be out of here in 2 days and it looks like there's no way that's gonna happen due to 19 years of accumulated stuff in my apartment. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a reasonably powerful solar system that uses remote panels that could eventually be mounted to the roof of a larger van. I watched one of Will's vlogs today about Ruixu LiFePO4 batteries. I'm thinking that with at least 2 of those, I could have the beginnings of a pretty beefy system that could eventually transfer to a larger rig. But, of course, I'm only the "daughter" of a master electrician, and have "0" understanding of what it would take to build a complete (transferable) solar system, with enough power to operate several 1000-1500 W appliances (not necessarily at the same time.) In the full size van I need an indoor shower with On-Demand hot water (maybe recirculating to avoid having to carry too much weight in water,) I also need to figure out an inexpensive but effective way to insulate and panel the inside of my transit connect. I guess once I have some sort of electrical system established, I will probably need to purchase an Instant Pot, which, I think, can provide me with the means to cook pretty much anything.

The OP is 71. BattleBorn batteries are quite likely to outlive the OP if treated well. The OP will hopefully outlive lead acid batteries. I hate using lead acids in a mobile environment. Weight, off-gassing, etc.

What's an OP? ...stupid girl question, 'cause I'm a (grown up) girl ?‍?

Thanks Santa. I'm pretty desperate right now since I have to be out of here in 2 days and it looks like there's no way that's gonna happen due to 19 years of accumulated stuff in my apartment. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a reasonably powerful solar system that uses remote panels that could eventually be mounted to the roof of a larger van. I watched one of Will's vlogs today about Ruixu LiFePO4 batteries. I'm thinking that with at least 2 of those, I could have the beginnings of a pretty beefy system that could eventually transfer to a larger rig. But, of course, I'm only the "daughter" of a master electrician, and have "0" understanding of what it would take to build a complete (transferable) solar system, with enough power to operate several 1000-1500 W appliances (not necessarily at the same time.) In the full size van I need an indoor shower with On-Demand hot water (maybe recirculating to avoid having to carry too much weight in water,) I also need to figure out an inexpensive but effective way to insulate and panel the inside of my transit connect. I guess once I have some sort of electrical system established, I will probably need to purchase an Instant Pot, which, I think, can provide me with the means to cook pretty much anything.
[/QUOTE]
I left you a link ^^ to Bob's youtube channel in previous posts above about the insulation. He shows you exactly what to use and it's not that expensive. Here is a specific video where they go in detail to do the entire van/panels:
P.S. you can get a butane or propane stove (or a duel fuel stove that can use either fuel) to cook. They are fairly cheap. I got a butane one at 99 Cents only store for $10. They have them at Walmart for $15. They will put out some heat too if you're in a pinch, but get a carbon monoxide detector (got one for $20 at Costco). It is MANDATORY! A shower will have to wait...you need other things to be honest. You COULD join a gym if you could afford it for showers, etc.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
I left you a link ^^ to Bob's youtube channel in previous posts above about the insulation. He shows you exactly what to use and it's not that expensive. Here is a specific video where they go in detail to do the entire van/panels:
P.S. you can get a butane or propane stove (or a duel fuel stove that can use either fuel) to cook. They are fairly cheap. I got a butain one at 99 Cents only store for $10. They have them at Walmart for $15. They will put out some heat too if you're in a pinch, but get a carbon monoxide detector (got one for $20 at Costco). It is MANDATORY! A shower will have to wait...you need other things to be honest. You COULD join a gym if you could afford it for showers, etc.
[/QUOTE]

I can pretty much use any gym for free as a senior with a silver sneakers gym membership card. I frequented at a 24-Hr Fitness Gym for about a year for workouts & showers. But, they set the water temp & pressure SO LOW, and at 71, I don't really feel like driving around to find another gym late at night -- usually when I need to shower.

P.S. you can get a butane or propane stove (or a duel fuel stove that can use either fuel) to cook. They are fairly cheap. I got a butain one at 99 Cents only store for $10. They have them at Walmart for $15. They will put out some heat too if you're in a pinch, but get a carbon monoxide detector (got one for $20 at Costco). It is MANDATORY! A shower will have to wait...you need other things to be honest. You COULD join a gym if you could afford it for showers, etc.
[/QUOTE]

I can pretty much use any gym for free as a senior with a silver sneakers gym membership card. I frequented at a 24-Hr Fitness Gym for about a year for workouts & showers. But, they set the water temp & pressure SO LOW, and at 71, I don't really feel like driving around to find another gym late at night -- usually when I need to shower.
[/QUOTE]

I also already have an Induction cook top.

Not sure if I mentioned before, but I am semi-disabled as the result of a stroke that affected my entire dominant right side a couple years ago. And, I have 0 coordination in my left side.

Not sure if I mentioned before, but I am semi-disabled as the result of a stroke that affected my entire dominant right side a couple years ago. And, I have 0 coordination in my left side.

Hence, my need to find an (affordable) builder who has the integrity to do eespectible quality work.

Hence, my need to find an (affordable) builder who has the integrity to do respectable quality work.

Drive west! I bet the cost of living in rural New Mexico is about half or even less of the cost of living in Orlando. We have all the sun too :) 335 days on average.

To answer one of your questions, insulation slows the change of temperature. Hot or cold, doesn't matter-like a thermos.

New Mexico Will. Yes, for years I've been attracted to the Earthship movement near Taos.

Since you are in a time crunch and need portable power, Bob just reviewed this all-in-one today. I don't think Will did any vids on it. It does have a coupon code (look in the description notes) which needs to be used within a certain time. Check this out, and watch all of Will's videos to help you decide. I don't know if this will be enough for you, but to start, it could be a first system for you until you figure out what you want/need. First thing you need to do is figure out your load, what you need to power with electricity, make a list, and put the watts and how often you will use everything. V x A = W and V=volts, A=Amps, W=Watts P.S. Be aware its 48 pounds. Here's Bob's vid:

I checked out Bob's video. It turns out that neither he nor his helper could confidently recommend that system.

Go stay with your relatives until you get your rig set up properly. ??

I'm trying to be smart about this by having enough foresight to invest in strong, reliable parts now as the foundation for a larger, more powerful system later, when I (hopefully) will be living in a larger van.

Go stay with your relatives until you get your rig set up properly. ??

No relatives. Dad & Mom have passed on. My older sister & brother-in-law live in a bungalow in Seattle that's only big enough for the 2 of them. First-born (48-yr-old) daughter & son-in-law don't communicate with me, and have her step dad living with them in Reno. And, my (41-yr-old) recently married baby girl and her hubs live in a rented house in northern NH (where I raised my girls and lived 25 yrs.) After 25 yrs, these bones needed a warmer climate!!

Will this be use in travel time or will you live in it full time?

What vehicle do you have in mind so we can get an idea about roof size, etc?

How 'Stealth' do you want to be?
(Something you can park about anywhere and not be noticed)

Full time. My dream vehicle would be a 4x4 Sprinter van. However, repair costs alone tell me that would be beyond affordable for me right now. I will probably wind up with either a short or long wheelbase mid-roof Transit, or a 136" WB high-roof ProMaster, whichever is most mechanically sound and has the best fuel economy.

I read a comment where it says thinsulate's good for blocking out sound, but not good for insulation. Like I said CheapRVLiving has a video on what to use to insulate here:

It might be good to post a picture of your new roof line and tell us what it's made from, to determine if a solar panel really is or isn't feasible up there. The fixed solar panels seem to be much cheaper than the portable ones. If your fan isn't yet installed it might make more sense to install it vertically through one of the back windows in case you really could put a panel on the roof. Will had a recent video where he tore down a lot of portable power units and it seemed like he was very positive about the Jackery.

For insulation an easy and effective solution appears to be thinsulate but it is not inexpensive. Check out this video.

I have tons of pictures of my Van; just can't figure out how to post them here. And, as I first stated, the Maxxair is already installed, just not hooked up.

2 days... how long were you given notification to move?
I would not decide anything right away. First thing I’d recommend is join a storage bldg, and hire a mover to haul everything to it.
usually, they are first month free, and affordable for the first 6 months. Give you time to locate a vehicle and configure it.
Planet fitness membership works across the country, and $10 a month membership...
I still say a cheap used 02 to 06 sprinter will get you where you can, and you can shop for a transit or whatever after the time crunch is over. The sprinter will hold its purchase price when you get another...

HOWEVER!

if you are frail, and weakened, the sprinter likely isn’t for you anyway.

they are TALL vehicles, but they are also difficult to get into.
My mother struggles climbing in and out, and she is not stroke impaired... just 79 years old.

Back