diy solar

diy solar

In Jakiper battery one cell keeps triggering ovp, i need troubleshooting list

I just receive 16x304ah cells from Qishou, 2000 eur shipping and customs included.
The materials and hardware for my prototype cost 500-550 eur.

So that is about 2550 eur for a 304 ah diy battery, in comparison the jakiper cost 1700 eur for 100 ah. If you do the math the diy is roughly half of the cost with better bms/screen/dc breaker/terminals

edit: of course you have to add the effort of design and build but for me that is a plus because i like doing things myself if it is worth the time
thanks - yes I am sure it will be better home built and with better bms

The Jakiper BMS will keep balancing when one of the cells goes into OVP .
You can get the software and tweak the settings if you want.
As others have said , the passive balance current is very low. It can take a really long time to balance .
If you want to try and manually balance it you can open up battery , find the high cell , and put a resistor ( appropriate size ) or car headlight for load across that cell to bleed off some of the current. Best to do that while watching the software. It takes some time and patience also to try and manually balance.
Andy on Offgrid Garage analyzed and showed all about the Pace BMS in Jakiper batteries.
I had some Jakiper batteries ( older than pro version) that were way out of balance . I got one of the Neey active balancers that Off Grid Garage also did videos on. That really does the job but they cost at least $80.
I made a few videos on my Jakiper battery and balancing issues, and installing the Neey balancer.
Sorry to hijack this post.
It seemed better than creating a new one with similar issues.

I have a 4s3p set up (somewhat irrelevant, but anyway).
Cell 1 of pack 1 charges and settles much much faster than the others and triggers a warning in the app, so much so that I can stand there and watch that cell charging faster.

I've checked the connections and even applied a load to that cell to bring it back down in balance, but straight away as soon as a charge is applied it starts charging much faster ( in regards to the Volt readings in the app).

My question: Is it quite certain that this is a bad cell and I should down size to a 4s2p for now?

The 'bad cell shows no sign of bulging, and is the same temperature as the rest of the battery bank.
?

Back