diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

I do have a small issue / question about configuration settings.
In the past 2 or 3 months, my setup has worked, mostly I did not look at it any more, it just works.
I had [01] = UTI and [06] = SNU.
[28] was 5A which is how much I wanted to charge the battery bank from Grid-in.
The breaker that controls the AC-input ("grid-in") is easily accessible and has remained always off except when weather was overcast for more than a few hours. Basically, when the battery would go below 20%, I flipped that breaker on, and as weather improved, I turned it off.

This is an overcast week again, and I wanted to automate this. No more flipping breakers -- or calling the wife to flip it on.

I changed [01] to SBu.
Changed [05] to 53.2V -- I want the battery to be the source of power instead of utility when battery voltage reaches 53.2V which seems to be something like 50% SOC.
Changed [06] to OSO -- solar charging only, not interested in charging the battery from grid power.

Indeed sometime this morning an alarm was issued that the battery dropped below 10% (water heater had kicked in), and power started coming from grid.

Around 1pm I observed battery voltage of 53.5V (not resting voltage, obviously, the sun had come out and I had 3.2kW from solar panels).
However, the house load (250W) was still on grid pass-through.

Why did it not stop using grid-in?

I turned off the breaker on the left side of the unit, and it started to use battery to power the load.

After a while I turned that breaker back on, and it did not revert to pass-through.

My setting for [05] was accepted as 53.2V. The BMS did not override it with its preferred number 57.6V

Again, shouldn't it have stopped consuming grid power as soon as 53.2V was reached?

At 1pm, I had 53.5V and SOC of 41%

Each individual battery showed 53.5V
Mine is set for SBU and CSO

I think OSO is for solar charging only but that doesn't say anything about AC Output

also what are 35 and 37 set to?
that might have something to do with it...

yes, "full" communications.

61 and 62 seem like a duplicate of 5 and 6.
5 and 6 are voltage, 61/62 are SOC.

It makes sense to use SOC when available. I had not scrolled that far.

I just looked at 61 and 62, and indeed they were 14% (!) and 100%.

As I read the description for 62, it is unclear.

"switches to inverter output mode when SOC is greater than this setting (unit: %)"

this does not sound at all like "switches from utility to battery". But in context with the interpretation of 61, you are probably right.

I changed [62] to 50%. I will have an opportunity to find out probably tomorrow morning.

THANK YOU!!
Oh you are using Comm.... yeah that SOC stuff will make a difference in that case... that 100% is probably what was going on ...

I do have a small issue / question about configuration settings.
In the past 2 or 3 months, my setup has worked, mostly I did not look at it any more, it just works.
I had [01] = UTI and [06] = SNU.
[28] was 5A which is how much I wanted to charge the battery bank from Grid-in.
The breaker that controls the AC-input ("grid-in") is easily accessible and has remained always off except when weather was overcast for more than a few hours. Basically, when the battery would go below 20%, I flipped that breaker on, and as weather improved, I turned it off.

This is an overcast week again, and I wanted to automate this. No more flipping breakers -- or calling the wife to flip it on.

I changed [01] to SBu.
Changed [05] to 53.2V -- I want the battery to be the source of power instead of utility when battery voltage reaches 53.2V which seems to be something like 50% SOC.
Changed [06] to OSO -- solar charging only, not interested in charging the battery from grid power.

Indeed sometime this morning an alarm was issued that the battery dropped below 10% (water heater had kicked in), and power started coming from grid.

Around 1pm I observed battery voltage of 53.5V (not resting voltage, obviously, the sun had come out and I had 3.2kW from solar panels).
However, the house load (250W) was still on grid pass-through.

Why did it not stop using grid-in?

I turned off the breaker on the left side of the unit, and it started to use battery to power the load.

After a while I turned that breaker back on, and it did not revert to pass-through.

My setting for [05] was accepted as 53.2V. The BMS did not override it with its preferred number 57.6V

Again, shouldn't it have stopped consuming grid power as soon as 53.2V was reached?

At 1pm, I had 53.5V and SOC of 41%

Each individual battery showed 53.5V
You can’t unlock that inverters full potential without Solar Assistant. I couldn’t operate without it at this point. You can create all these automation rules you’re looking for with basic output source priority automation based on battery SOC and time of day helps too. My rules are very basic, but you can nest substantially more complexity with Solar Assistant Automation rules. I would not even attempt anything with inverter settings. I don’t even touch my inverter anymore. Solar Assistant calls the shots via the app. I highly highly recommend. You can create all these rules you require

13EEBC1C-0DF4-4247-9B5D-606D78499120.jpeg

can’t unlock that inverters full potential without Solar Assistant.

That's a strong statement and I will give it some thought. I have been hesitant to add more components, mostly because it would show me more data that I could obsess about .. and spend too much time. The system works very well for me as is, even if I don't use the full potential.

Now, if I could have SA integrate a good weather (pv) forecast.. that would be a game changer.

And yes, there is the issue with my data on foreign servers. I acknowledge it.

Right now, my next step is to add more panels. They should arrive in a week. I will go from 6.3kW to 13.4kW. Adding 20 LG panels @355W, but had to buy a pallet of 30. Thinking about best orientation. That may warrant a separate thread.

Thanks again for the advice on SA. I may do it one day.

I use Solar Assistant for monitoring and control but none of that fancy-schmancy automation stuff. Just being able to see what is happening and logging it and being able to change the main parameters is wonderful. Wouldn't live without it. I couldn't care less if anyone can see my solar data.

Solar Assistant for monitoring and control

I stopped paying attention since the APL mode issue was resolved.. by this forum. I check 1x or 2x a week how warm it is getting in the shed, and am thinking of replacing the duct fan with a more powerful one. It's below 97F so far.

What I started obsessing about is the PG&E (power company) meter as it translates into $$$. I read and record the PoCo meter and several private submeters more often than I am willing to admit here. Let's just say lots of spreadsheet data.

Basically the SGP setup is like a fridge to me. It just works. Knock on wood.

I stopped paying attention since the APL mode issue was resolved.. by this forum. I check 1x or 2x a week how warm it is getting in the shed, and am thinking of replacing the duct fan with a more powerful one. It's below 97F so far.

What I started obsessing about is the PG&E (power company) meter as it translates into $$$. I read and record the PoCo meter and several private submeters more often than I am willing to admit here. Let's just say lots of spreadsheet data.

Basically the SGP setup is like a fridge to me. It just works. Knock on wood.
That's pretty much the way I've wanted it as well, but I do appreciate being able to check etc. remotely. :)

What is that? the Sungold wifi? or something of your own?
I threw the SG Wifi in the trash, it never worked...

Yeah, the one that came with the unit. It sends my data every 5 minutes to Cindy's servers.

Tbh, they are not SGP servers. It's a separate company.

I normally am against unnecessary cloud solutions. I laugh about the people who have a ring door bell that goes through the cloud for everyone ringing their door bell. If your router or ISP have a problem, your chime won't work.

Yeah, the one that came with the unit. It sends my data every 5 minutes to Cindy's servers.

Tbh, they are not SGP servers. It's a separate company.

I normally am against unnecessary cloud solutions. I laugh about the people who have a ring door bell that goes through the cloud for everyone ringing their door bell. If your router or ISP have a problem, your chime won't work.
Love my Ring system and no not everyone can see it.
That's a total misconception.

not everyone can see it.

I didn't think that (although all cloud solutions are a potential target for hackers). But with an internet outage, I believe *some* ring installations will fail to make the chime work. I had bought a ring system for a spec house that I built (for sale) and was told that the door bell won't work until I buy internet service.

A question about the (Pace) BMS params.... I did change my battery pack 5 Balance Threshold and Balance delta V from
Balance Threshold 3.50 and Delta V 30 to Balance Threshold 3.40 and Delta V 20

Can someone explain to me what these are or is there a dictionary/explanation of these things somewhere?

I'm guessing that the Threshold is where the BMS begins balancing (or maybe all cells have to hit that first?) and that Delta V is the maximum difference in cell voltages in order to consider it/them balanced?

That right or totally F'd up?

P.S. the other four batteries/packs are still set to default setting of Threshold 3.5 and delta V 30
Is there a password that allows you to change parameters on the PBM Tools software
A question about the (Pace) BMS params.... I did change my battery pack 5 Balance Threshold and Balance delta V from
Balance Threshold 3.50 and Delta V 30 to Balance Threshold 3.40 and Delta V 20

Can someone explain to me what these are or is there a dictionary/explanation of these things somewhere?

I'm guessing that the Threshold is where the BMS begins balancing (or maybe all cells have to hit that first?) and that Delta V is the maximum difference in cell voltages in order to consider it/them balanced?

That right or totally F'd up?

P.S. the other four batteries/packs are still set to default setting of Threshold 3.5 and delta V 30
Is there a password for the PBMS Tools? am not able to change settings

Is there a password that allows you to change parameters on the PBM Tools software

Is there a password for the PBMS Tools? am not able to change settings
You have to use the SOKTools.exe and the password is paceadmin

There are way to many "BMSTools" or "PBMSTools" software out there.
passwords:
1: 123456
2: paceadmin
3: calculated from current date/Time in the format ddmmhh (day minute hour). You add 10 to the minutes and the hours are in 24hr format;
for example current date/time is 04/09/2024 9:45 PM. The password entry would be 095521. Add 10 minutes to 45 and 9 PM is 21 hours
for example current date/time is 04/09/2024 9:51 PM. The password would be 090122. Add 10 minutes to 51 which kicks you into the next hour so 9 PM becomes 10 PM which is entered as 22 hours

Back