diy solar

diy solar

IntegraRack: Ground Mount with Epoxy Ground Stakes and Ballast Options

I think this is a very good thread. I think the best things to take away from the comments if you are going to ground mount are:

Know what the wind load is going to be in your area. In my area, I believe it is 110 mph. This is going to allow you to calculate exactly how much ballast the mount will require to keep from blowing away.

Then know your ground. In my case, rocks and granite in California, hard to dig into so creativity required.

Decide on your materials: aluminum, steel, aluminum on steel , aluminum on wood, all wood. Decide on moisture and corrosion protection for any of the materials.

Have a level of comfort and support people working with you for the materials you choose to build your mount.

Have the correct tools to do a professional job. You want it to carry current and last many years.

Decide on your panels. Most every panel will have a spec sheet showing where the support rails can be located whether portrait or landscape mounting. This will give you the cross rail numbers to be needed as well as the total length and width of the rails. Then your support rails for the cross rails can be calculated and the number of posts and spacing for those posts into the ground.

A standard 2x4 can support about 800 pounds, much more than a solar panel weights, but I wouldn't build an array out of them.

Make certain you are aware of the expansion and contraction of the materials used in all kinds of weather because the PV panels will not expand or contract.

Lastly, if you are not sure, hire help. There are available PV solar structural engineers who will be happy to look over your plans and tell you if they meet the wind loads for your area or need a redesign or variation on the materials.

I used this engineer in California to redesign my ground mount when I was unable to penetrate deep enough due to granite formations.

And my mount passed inspection and it is still standing perfectly after 8 years. So there is something to be said for doing it properly.

Lastly, you don't want to sell your property in the future and have a prospective buyer look at your mounts and think of them as a project to be rebuilt.

Anyone have design plans with photos for one of those pergula / roman shade outdoor patio covers made of treated wood that also has mounts on top? I have a backyard that I could paint the ground white and put one of these patio covers up with some panels up top in a low-wind area of the property.

The Integra ground pole mount 4,6,&8 panel versions has one great (even unusual) feature, no structure under the back of the panel. Few mounting systems are ideal for bifacial panels. Powers, Opsun, and Integra plus a few commercial trackers, and a few Chinese are available. The Integra mounts do look a bit flimsy buy they do come with engineering documents for permitting.

What makes the PowerRack better than the Corigy?

Power rack is a tool less instal. The angle is better (for me anyway).

Will, I know you need this question answered by users, not by me. So I hope more folks chime in. But several users have mentioned PowerRacks by PowerField in different threads here. We're not the "cheapest possible" for sure, but I bet we're the fastest and easiest.

But how about you give them a try and let us know what you think?

I’m interested in power field. Ideal for my remote, NO grid, boat access cabin.

2 things I’d like to point out. 1 isn’t in your control. 1 is.

1. Shipping is very expensive as power racks ship frieght. Not much you can do.

2. Your email response is not very good. Very sporadic, and delayed. It seems you are a new company? Or at least new to smaller consumers?

Our cottage does not allow for heavy equipment, and makes any concrete work very costly. Your power racks fit the bill. Lightweight, super fast tool less instal, and I can ballast with dirt or sand which we have plenty of. Mobility is also good.

But when you add frieght shipping to the cost I have to compare to other products such as brightmount and the new integra rack system.

After reviewing their web site, and one or two of the resellers, I could see myself buying these. Although they sell bundles, you don't actually save a dime from what I can see. You can buy 4 at a time, which will support 3 panels. Of course if you have this kit already, and you buy another 4 pack, you can have 7 panels with 8 supports. Also was cool to see their other mounting systems. They seem to like the ballast based ones.

I’m interested in power field. Ideal for my remote, NO grid, boat access cabin.

2 things I’d like to point out. 1 isn’t in your control. 1 is.

1. Shipping is very expensive as power racks ship frieght. Not much you can do.

2. Your email response is not very good. Very sporadic, and delayed. It seems you are a new company? Or at least new to smaller consumers?

Our cottage does not allow for heavy equipment, and makes any concrete work very costly. Your power racks fit the bill. Lightweight, super fast tool less instal, and I can ballast with dirt or sand which we have plenty of. Mobility is also good.

But when you add frieght shipping to the cost I have to compare to other products such as brightmount and the new integra rack system.
Thank you @Nan_wpg. Yes, unfortunately freight shipping is still pretty challenging for the bulky nature of our product. Hopefully you are located relatively near one of our reseller partners, which would help us manage that cost a little.

I'm very sorry to hear that we have not been responsive enough to you. We strive to be very responsive. Please direct all email communications now to sales@powerfieldenergy.com, and I'll make sure we get back to you quickly.

More efficient panels to use less mounting space would be nice 😉

Built it grounding termination points and bonding clamp hardware would be nice.

A mounting point for a combiner box could be useful for some.

Ever see those DIY workbench kits at the hardware store that you just add 2x4s and make a bench?
I could see something like that that uses pipe or strut to put together your own rack being a hot seller if implemented correctly. Would keep shipping costs low and allow end use to source the pipe / strut locally.

It has “bonding” clamps for the solar panels, but yes it’d be nice if there was an included “bolt point” for ground. Easy enough though, I’m thinking a self tapping screw to secure the ground wire, or drill a hole, and bolt/washer the ground wire to the mount

So, looking at an “all in cost” the power fields are looking like the winner.

Integra = need EMT pipe, one of their “anchor” products, or in my case 8- hdx storage bins from Home Depot to fill with sand for ballast. PLUS I have to put the thing together.

Power field = pick location, fill with sand, instal panels (with no tools). Done. Plus if need be, I can “dismantle” the power field and move. Let’s say you want to switch locations for whatever reason, or you have to sell your cabin because one of the other owners can’t afford to pay for their share of the cabin because they spend all their money on beer, pot, cigarettes, and cigars. Plus they don’t like doing any work at the cabin.

Integra has a slightly smaller foot print, and the panels sit a bit higher off the ground. Snow would be a consideration for power field but we don’t use our cabin in the winter.

Power field you can also move around real easy (before adding sand) so you can play around with location, and experiment with East/west arrays, etc.

In my case we are remote, boat access, no grid. So lighter is better. Easy is better. No tools needed is better. Any kind of concrete work, or augering by machine is not an option.

So, looking at an “all in cost” the power fields are looking like the winner.

Integra = need EMT pipe, one of their “anchor” products, or in my case 8- hdx storage bins from Home Depot to fill with sand for ballast. PLUS I have to put the thing together.

Power field = pick location, fill with sand, instal panels (with no tools). Done. Plus if need be, I can “dismantle” the power field and move. Let’s say you want to switch locations for whatever reason, or you have to sell your cabin because one of the other owners can’t afford to pay for their share of the cabin because they spend all their money on beer, pot, cigarettes, and cigars. Plus they don’t like doing any work at the cabin.

Integra has a slightly smaller foot print, and the panels sit a bit higher off the ground. Snow would be a consideration for power field but we don’t use our cabin in the winter.

Power field you can also move around real easy (before adding sand) so you can play around with location, and experiment with East/west arrays, etc.

In my case we are remote, boat access, no grid. So lighter is better. Easy is better. No tools needed is better. Any kind of concrete work, or augering by machine is not an option.
I look forward to your review and pictures if you decide to do it. These are intriguing for sure.l

View attachment 211040

Cables are all cleaned up and look better than this now....I was experimenting 4s2p vs 8s so it was a bit of a rats nest.
In looking at this photo more carefully, it seems to me that the wooden posts supply height. The bracket is attached to the cross rails forming a triangle that is bolted to a piece of hardware with screws into the top of the wooden post. Just looking at this, any wind load on these panels could easily put stress on the wooden lag bolts going into the top of the posts. I think this is a significant point of potential failure, either acutely or over time.

A steel bracket that covers the top of the post and extends down the sides of the post provides proper strength. This would be attached to the post via bolts that travel through a drilled hole in the post from one side of the post through to the other, threaded, using washers and lock washers. This would provide a lot more strength compared to a threaded lag bolt into the top of the post due to the direction of grain of the wood.

Power rack is a tool less instal. The angle is better (for me anyway).
Why not just get a molded body wheel barrel and fill it with aggregate and attach a panel to that? It seems to me if the wheel barrel can hold the 5 cu ft of aggregate, the ballast would be equal. They can be angles too and its easy to change directions for different seasons.

In looking at this photo more carefully, it seems to me that the wooden posts supply height. The bracket is attached to the cross rails forming a triangle that is bolted to a piece of hardware with screws into the top of the wooden post. Just looking at this, any wind load on these panels could easily put stress on the wooden lag bolts going into the top of the posts. I think this is a significant point of potential failure, either acutely or over time.

A steel bracket that covers the top of the post and extends down the sides of the post provides proper strength. This would be attached to the post via bolts that travel through a drilled hole in the post from one side of the post through to the other, threaded, using washers and lock washers. This would provide a lot more strength compared to a threaded lag bolt into the top of the post due to the direction of grain of the wood.
100%. I've been paranoid about it for awhile, but luckily we are at the bottom of a hill, surrounded by trees, and don't get much wind by the panels.

I've been dumping my used motor oil on the top of each post to "treat" them and I've done some reinforcement wraps around the posts where the bolts go in (you can see my first attempt in that picture...it's beefier now). Hoping that will prevent any splitting with the grain and make them last longer.

Not too stressed about it but it's on my "watch list."

I think you are trying. But here is a tip that I think is worthwhile:

When building custom mounts like this one where different materials are in use and different designs are used, a very good resource is to think it through and take advantage of a local ironworks or welding shop. tThey are everywhere and you give them a drawing and dimensions or bring a piece of material to them and they will fabricate a part to fit to fit and provide great strength. In your case you could easily do that and have a top of post cap/bracket made and just retro fit it on. Give the steel a good coat of Rustoleum oli based paint and rest easy.

You could bolt 2" x2" steel tubes to the opposite sides of the post say 1 foot down each side of the post and have them bolt to your bracket above the top of the post adding strength. Easy to do.

I think you are trying. But here is a tip that I think is worthwhile:

When building custom mounts like this one where different materials are in use and different designs are used, a very good resource is to think it through and take advantage of a local ironworks or welding shop. tThey are everywhere and you give them a drawing and dimensions or bring a piece of material to them and they will fabricate a part to fit to fit and provide great strength. In your case you could easily do that and have a top of post cap/bracket made and just retro fit it on. Give the steel a good coat of Rustoleum oli based paint and rest easy.

You could bolt 2" x2" steel tubes to the opposite sides of the post say 1 foot down each side of the post and have them bolt to your bracket above the top of the post adding strength. Easy to do.
I thought about just getting some L brackets for a similar approach. something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Brackets-Countertop-Support-Shelf/dp/B08CZ3M4WG

That might work. Just remember, while I am not an engineer, I know that wind load created by panels is very large and it can bend steel in ways you and I thought would never be possible.
Yep...if these were in the middle of a field in KS I would be re-doing it. I'm in a nice protected area and if that big of winds come through I've got bigger problems....like 100+ foot trees hitting my house.

Why not just get a molded body wheel barrel and fill it with aggregate and attach a panel to that? It seems to me if the wheel barrel can hold the 5 cu ft of aggregate, the ballast would be equal. They can be angles too and its easy to change directions for different seasons.

Actually not a bad idea. But wheel barrows are more than the plastic solar mounts. But literally portable, wheeled solar panels.

Just thinking out loud (and not an expert on manufacturing, etc) but looking at the Brightmount, and the integra, shouldn’t the imtegra be cheaper? It uses less metal. The brightmount has the top and bottom rails, whereas integra seems to use the solar panels for (lateral?) strength?

Any engineering types on these forums….. would the integra be less stable than the Brightmount?

Back