diy solar

diy solar

Interesting poll results! Sol Ark VS Signature Solar

For home owners insurance? Is that a thing? I've NEVER heard of that. Just being sure we're not talking about a policy condition.
I have seen home owners insurance do exclusions for things like aluminum wiring.

I had a house insured with CSAA.
When I sold it, buyer also with CSAA couldn't get it insured by them, had to find a different company due to no foundation bolts. They may have sent an inspector?

I didn't have my first house inspected when I got it. The question never came up when getting insurance.

I have had experience with both companies...

For EG4 (started working with them early 2023) - Very disappointed with the monitoring apps....terrible. Also, the 8K is buggy and tech support was worthless, I had to figure out the issue myself (got it working, but its still buggy). Have installed several of each - 6K, 6.5K, and 8K. EG4 tech support seems like they were always reading from a helpdesk prompter system, the guys (although friendly and wanting to help) seem generally pretty clueless about their products, and even as an installer they do not allow me to speak directly to LV2 support. Not planning to recommend them until they get their act together.

I've also installed a handful of SOL-ARK 12K units as far back as AUG 2020, and did a large off-grid commercial project with 9x 15K units is 3 phase operation. Although I did have issues to work through, the SOL-ARK techs actually have a clue, they comprehend what is happening, and are willing to work through the problem efficiently.

Through these experiences, my previous support for SOL-ARK has grown stronger.
QPH_2.jpg
LP_Gas_1.jpg

For home owners insurance? Is that a thing?
The pre inspection are not a requirement of the insurance company no.

Was just referring to them as something that catches bubba work.

We were also discussing DIY without a permit.

Have seen a couple of claims denied because they traced it to non permitted wiring causing a fire.

If you buy a house, weather you inspect it or not, if you don’t run any new electrical and have a fire the insurance company would be hard pressed to deny your claim based on prior owners mess.

I didn't have my first house inspected when I got it. The question never came up when getting insurance.
No it wouldn’t. Probably still wouldn’t. It’s just a way to find crap work before and get it fixed.

If you diy without a permit you are rolling the dice though.

No it wouldn’t. Probably still wouldn’t. It’s just a way to find crap work before and get it fixed.

If you diy without a permit you are rolling the dice though.
Depends on your area of course. Some places don't require them for anything. Other places demand them if you even want to patch a nail hole in your drywall.

Depends on your area of course. Some places don't require them for anything. Other places demand them if you even want to patch a nail hole in your drywall.
Sure. That is true.
I don’t know how insurance companies deal with areas with no inspections.

I'm in the industry. It's all data. Loss ratios on "unincorporated" areas simply aren't showing up as flagged (I'm guessing, but it's all data/statistics based). Instead, they're dropping insurance on places like FL and CA. It's pretty obvious that large losses are not really a function so much of human error, but more about of bigger patterns. I do know that contractor fraud in FL has been a big issue in the industry, part of why companies are currently refusing business in FL.

I'm sure if the loss was big enough AND could be contributed to a contractor with insurance - an insurance company would go after that loss.

Over the years I've seen where building/electrical inspectors have missed things. So even if it's inspected does not mean the inspection was done correctly.

What if I told you almost all the known players would fail inspection for UL9540 despite having UL9540?
Most systems on the market are listed for UL9540 Ed 1. But IRC 2021 requires Edition 2 (2020).

The only publicly verifiable on-the-market solution that has that is Sol-Ark / Homegrid
Homegrid publishes their UL9540 document which specifically lists Solark 12kW + 15kW inverters as UL9540 Ed. 2 2020 requires.
Tesla, SolarEdge, Enphase might have this, might not... I don't know and can't tell from their websites.

It's less inspected for systems which combine the batteries + inverters. Personally, I think combining the battery and inverter severely limits the design. But technically, the design is already pretty limited because pretty much the entire industry thought they didn't have to get UL9540 Ed 2 2020, and yet IRC 2021 adoption (which requires UL9540 Ed 2) is months away from becoming the nationally mandated standard...

Also - I never remember UL editions or publication dates ever being a thing, but those in the industry either older and wiser (often both) say that it has been a thing. The truly objectionable thing here is the slow progressive march towards UL system level listings, rather than allowing systems to be comprised of independently listed components.
Point of order
I wouldn't argue against international residential code...
But if you stick to NEC, the argument gets more constrictive. When UL listing standard are referenced without a date, the conservative interpretation is that the most listing date applies.

You may not have ever encountered IRC or UL edition checking in your location.
However, I guarantee there are inspectors in the USA looking at this stuff.
Again, mandated by who? You said nationally. States MAY adopt any version of NEC they wish or none at all. My state hasn’t although some city and county jurisdictions have.

Over the years I've seen where building/electrical inspectors have missed things. So even if it's inspected does not mean the inspection was done correctly.
True but if it passes an AHJ inspection then as far as the homeowners are concerned its golden.
No insurance denials even if faulty.

Sure. That is true.
The same way any other risk that is possible, wind, fire, hail, flood, hurricane. They already know from actuarial tables and the history of losses what to expect for any given risk in any area. From that data, the losses are computed and and premiums adjusted for the losses.

Your argument for inspections to cover previous faulty wiring is comical. Having gutted houses, fished plenty of wire in houses thru existing walls and installing service panels, I can say a home inspector will never find those things that could result in a wiring fault fire. You find splices in walls that are not accessible, you find cloth covered knob and tube with scorch marks in the joists or studs, you find changes in a wire size with the circuit fused for a larger amperage plus many more faults.

The main purpose of the electrical inspection in my state is proper bonding and grounding at the service panel and any subpanels. There are a few other things that are just common sense and if you know anything about proper wiring it won't be a problem. The only other main sticker is hard wiring smoke alarms in new construction.

In fact, there are less issues with Sol-Ark than Victron, whom we praise for very high quality components.

Be interested to hear more about this, and not just from the hardware side. If you were to include VRM, firmware quality and updates in response to issues, support, hardware and complete eco-system stackup how do Sol-Ark vs Victron compare?

Looking back at this Poll again
https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse/community

It is basically saying that 62% of Signature Solar Customers are Happy because their order arrived on Time. While 38% are saying that they had product issues.
On the Flip side in what is a completely different Poll 71% of Sol-Ark Owners are saying they have no complaints and Love their Sol-Ark purchase while 28% say they had a product issue. Which does not match what I see on the forum but that is another story.

How does an Order arriving on Time compare to being Happy with purchasing a Product?
I have never even really heard of complaints about SS having issues delivering products, so this high number is a bit shocking to me. All of the complaints I have heard with SS are ones due to product issues and customer service.

Also the first Post still says that 40% of Sol-Ark customers are unhappy ????

Last edited:
The same way any other risk that is possible, wind, fire, hail, flood, hurricane. They already know from actuarial tables and the history of losses what to expect for any given risk in any area. From that data, the losses are computed and and premiums adjusted for the losses.

Your argument for inspections to cover previous faulty wiring is comical. Having gutted houses, fished plenty of wire in houses thru existing walls and installing service panels, I can say a home inspector will never find those things that could result in a wiring fault fire. You find splices in walls that are not accessible, you find cloth covered knob and tube with scorch marks in the joists or studs, you find changes in a wire size with the circuit fused for a larger amperage plus many more faults.

The main purpose of the electrical inspection in my state is proper bonding and grounding at the service panel and any subpanels. There are a few other things that are just common sense and if you know anything about proper wiring it won't be a problem. The only other main sticker is hard wiring smoke alarms in new construction.
As I said previously they are not opening walls but they do open the panels or should.

As with all trades some are more conscientious than others.

It’s better than zero inspection.

Makes me wonder how many common electrical appliances and simple plug in gadgets are sold and placed in homes everyday that never received a UL consideration.

On the other hand in college we had a house fire because someone put a space heater on an underrated extension cord. Fortunately fire was contained.

We are the fourth owners of our house. Found some wiring nightmares when refinishing a room that was corrected.

The only feedback we received from insurance company was a warning not to submit too many claims in a five year period because of the risk of being dropped from the policy. Encountered this from water damage from the previous roof.

Last edited:
Back