diy solar

diy solar

Inverter input amps

slowbutsure

Hi

I have just bought a 10kw (20max) inverter with built in mppt etc. I was a bit alarmed to see that the max input amps from the panels is 10 amps.

So far I have 10 x 550w panels in a string. I haven’t connected the inverter yet but that could produce a max amps of 12.35 amps. (445 volts for the string). Am I missing something? 10amps max input seems low for a 10kw inverter.

If I need to restrict the amps to 10 for the string, how can I do that?

Thanks

You should paste the spec sheets, model number, etc of the inverter. It might be max amps it would use, but allow higher max Isc, etc. Usually some overpaneling is OK.

As for why it’s 10A. This MPPT is likely designed for previous or preceding generation solar cells, which were around 10A Impp @ STC for 400W panels, and 30% lower for same cell count in the generation before.

Your 12.35A 550W panels are the new higher current form factor.

IOW it is not the right MPPT for your equipment, and you either have to decide this overpaneling level you stumbled into is OK, return it, or Frankenstein on some optimizers to trade current for voltage (/s)

Lets just start with the inverter model so we can get some specs.

It wouldnt really matter if the Isc of the panels were 12 if the Imp was 10 or less.

My curiosity is that even if it allowed 600v input, 10a would only make 6000w. It would be odd if the solar capabilities of the inverter were way lower than its output capabilities.

Lets just start with the inverter model so we can get some specs.
Also need some panel specs but the 10A vs 13A issue due to panel generation is a real thing, and I don't think it's likely the specs were misinterpreted by 3A.
My curiosity is that even if it allowed 600v input, 10a would only make 6000w. It would be odd if the solar capabilities of the inverter were way lower than its output capabilities.
Probably 10A * 2 MPPTs.

Probably not going to run the 10k on solar alone. Need a battery.

What is the Isc of the panels? Probably should be under 10 amps.

Drawing too many amps on a SCC is usually not an issue. SCC can reduce its current draw by allowing array voltage to rise to reduce PV current.

The spec on MPPT PV SCC controller is a compromise mix of allowed min and max PV array voltage and maximum PV current. You have to design the maximum current to yield reasonable PV power when using lower array voltage.

SCC controller must always take maximum array Voc. This means it can drive PV output amperage to zero if it wants to.

Back