diy solar

diy solar

Inverter question for a newbie!

Kuusiholvi

Hello all,

Simple question to which it seems impossible to find answers:

How can I remotely turn OFF/ON inverter with Vitron's Global Link 520? I have Phoenix inverter from the same brand 500/12 and it has this VE Direct port, so I assumed first it happens via the VE direct port, but then thought maybe it's only for monitoring the system.

Paging @sunshine_eggo

Victron newbie assistance on aisle one!

Don't worry @Kuusiholvi , Papa Smurf is on his way!

LOL

Hello all,

Simple question to which it seems impossible to find answers:

How can I remotely turn OFF/ON inverter with Vitron's Global Link 520? I have Phoenix inverter from the same brand 500/12 and it has this VE Direct port, so I assumed first it happens via the VE direct port, but then thought maybe it's only for monitoring the system.

I do not have experience with the global link 520, but this is how you would setup a full GX device for remote control.

VRM fully setup with GX device added to account.
Settings > General > Inverter/Charger Control enable

GX device configured:
Settings > Remote Console > Enable on VRM and Enable on LAN
Settings > VRM online portal > set desired log interval (I use 1 min) and enable VRM two-way communication

Manual:

The GlobalLink 520 lets you connect other Victron equipment, such as your Battery Monitor (BMV), SmartShunt, Solar Charger, Smart IP43 Charger or Inverter VE.Direct to the Victron Remote Management (VRM) portal via VE.Direct or Instant readout via Bluetooth. RuuviTag and RuuviTag Pro sensors are also supported. The transmission to the VRM Portal takes place via LTE-M cellular technology standard. The VRM portal is available to use free of charge to view the status of your installation from anywhere in the world using your desktop or mobile device.

Given the above, I expect you will have the desired functionality, but I'm guessing. I found no limitation published in the manual.

I do not know if it will work with VictronConnect. If it does not, you should be able to use the VRM application or a web browser for inverter control. This is from my Chrome browser:

1713970116043.png

EDIT: I posted an inquiry on the community forum.

Lastly, if the Phoenix is the source of power for the global link, it definitely won't work. Well... it will work ONCE when you turn it off. :)

Last edited:
Back