diy solar

diy solar

JK BD2A8S20P wire gauge

buckeyestargazer

I'm adding a JK BD2A8S20P BMS (200A) to a 230AH 4S LiFePO4 battery and want to make sure that I'm using the appropriate size wire from the BMS to the battery. The load on the battery could be as high as about 160A and the load side will have a 200A breaker, but I want to plan for some overkill on the wiring as the BMS spec says it can handle up to 350A for a short period of time.

Several video reviews mentioned using 2x 6AWG (or 16mm2) from the BMS to the battery. I have 6AWG silicone (200C) wire and I'm wondering if that is sufficient? Should I go to 4AWG or even 2AWG?

Here's how I did mine.
I went from the dual 6AWG to 2/0 back to the inverter.
In hindsight I should have went with a single lug to the shunt as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_174905.jpg
    IMG_20231030_174905.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20231013_123239.jpg
    IMG_20231013_123239.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks, so dual 6AWG from the BMS to the battery, and 2/0 from the battery to the shunt to the inverter?
2/0 from shunt to inverter 6AWG from BMS to shunt.
The 2 short yellow wires off the shunt to the bussbar are 1AWG I had from the previous install; I would have used 2/0 for that connection if the shunt didn't have dual connections.

I'd like to bump this thread up again. I don't understand why it seems like most instructions and video reviews use 6AWG cables on a 200A BMS.

I'm not going to be running the battery anywhere near 200A, but let's just say that I do. Since the battery (-) is connected to the BMS B-, and the BMS P- is connected to a shunt that feeds everything else, shouldn't the BMS wires be at least 2/0 cables, or dual 2AWG cables since the BMS has two terminals on each side? It seems like if there is potentially 200A running through the BMS the cables ought to be sized larger than 6AWG.

I'd like to bump this thread up again. I don't understand why it seems like most instructions and video reviews use 6AWG cables on a 200A BMS.

I'm not going to be running the battery anywhere near 200A, but let's just say that I do. Since the battery (-) is connected to the BMS B-, and the BMS P- is connected to a shunt that feeds everything else, shouldn't the BMS wires be at least 2/0 cables, or dual 2AWG cables since the BMS has two terminals on each side? It seems like if there is potentially 200A running through the BMS the cables ought to be sized larger than 6AWG.
They should have 2 leads of 6AWG with silicone insulation. The insulation plus 2 leads is what allows the higher current.

They should have 2 leads of 6AWG with silicone insulation. The insulation plus 2 leads is what allows the higher current.
The BMS didn't come with any cables, but I have 6awg, 4awg and 2awg silicone wire that I could use, as well as some 1/0 welding wire. I just want to make sure I have high enough gauge on the BMS. I'll be using the 1/0 welding wire from the battery to a 3000W inverter with 200A circuit breaker.

Back