diy solar

diy solar

Lifepro4 48v 400amp 16S battery pack

WTFdude

Hey folks, my trimarran is an electric powered sailboat with a 10kw motor and a 16S 48v 400amp lifepro4 battery bank. Its got six 100w solar panels. I have zero experience and i would like to know,
"What kind of run time can i get off of this setup just using the batteries as propulsion?"
I know it will charge when sailing due to the 3 blade 16" prop and 2 kw a day average from the solar panels.
But like I said, i am new to sailing and its my 1st boat.
I guess the question is...
What kind of run time can i get from the battery bank? I want to get a large charger and generator so i can charge overnight so i can troll the San Francisco Bay for fish

Heres a few pics of my electric trimarran

Attachments

• 20190919_191113.jpg
    20190919_191113.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 442.jpeg
    442.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 441.jpeg
    441.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 439.jpeg
    439.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 20
How long is a good guess. It all comes down to how you run the motor. Gentle put-putting around would be a completely different discharge rate than trying to be a speedboat. 400ah of 48v lifepo4 gives you around 21kWh of storage fully charged. If you decided the speedboat option, ie run the motor flat out at 10kw, about 2 hours run time. The solar input in this scenario is so low by comparison that it would not make any significant contribution during that 2 hour sprint.

How long is a good guess. It all comes down to how you run the motor. Gentle put-putting around would be a completely different discharge rate than trying to be a speedboat. 400ah of 48v lifepo4 gives you around 21kWh of storage fully charged. If you decided the speedboat option, ie run the motor flat out at 10kw, about 2 hours run time. The solar input in this scenario is so low by comparison that it would not make any significant contribution during that 2 hour sprint.
Thank you for your input. I plan on just slow cruising around unless i get into trouble.
It only has 110v shore power 30a hookup at the marina.
What do you think is my options for charging overnight? Should i just buy 5kw generator and large amp charger?

If you can find a charger that will use that 30amp 110v supply to its fullest you could bring your battery up from flat to fully charged in about 7 hours.

Excluding the price of the charger and fittings, that might be < $10 worth of electricity even factoring in additional charges by the marina operator, but you'd have to check the kWh pricing yourself. Compare that with the price of the generator / ongoing maintenance / fuel costs to generate 21kWh of electricity.

a 10kw motor and a 16S 48v 400amp lifepro4 battery bank.
I have half of that and it thus is 10Kw. My discharge rate at 1C is 200 amps max so it will last 1 hour at that and probably a lot less because the quoted amp hours are probably calculated at 0.2C.

You have got to get out and find out ! Make sure you can get back in when they go flat and remember they will get worse not better over time.

Last edited:
Back