diy solar

diy solar

Link victron smart solar to smart shunt

Hi forum

I have read it is possible to link my BMV-712 to a victron smart solar mppt (150-70tr)

Could anyone explain how to do that for me please?

Thank you
Ernie

looks like a ve.bus smart dongle will give the mp2 the smart "brains" to join a ve.smart network.

What would linking them up do for you?
You'll tend to get better accuracy on voltage for the SCC because the shunt will usually be closer to the batteries. They'll work fine without comms as well but just a nice to have. You could also use the temp sensor from the shunt to trigger the low temp charge disable of the SCC I believe.

looks like a ve.bus smart dongle will give the mp2 the smart "brains" to join a ve.smart network.

Thank you for getting back

Is there much benefit to linking it all together? I can't think of a reason Id need but , but having all this fancy blue equipment I thought it'd all be talking to each other that's all

Thank you for getting back

Is there much benefit to linking it all together? I can't think of a reason Id need but , but having all this fancy blue equipment I thought it'd all be talking to each other that's all
The real magic is with a Cerbo GX or other Venus os device. Personally I'm running the cheaper cerbo-s model which is missing two BMS-Can ports and the tank sensors. Being able to see what you system is doing and manage it from anywhere with Internet access is a powerful tool imo. I have a smartshunt 500, 450/100 and two 150/35s, and a Phoenix 48/1200, and assorted batteries with no comms.

The ve.bus smart is around $94 and the cerbo-s is $210. Personally I'd spend the extra for the Cerbo but not sure what your budget is.

Linking a smart MPPT to the smart shunt, and having the smart sense voltage sensing lead closest to the battery terminal will negate any voltage drop or rise from the Smart solar terminals. If you’re pushing 70a of charging current and trying to get each cell to 3.45v any voltage drop won’t help pack that battery full.

I picked up the Ve bus Smart Dongle and def agree for another $100 (plus 300 for a display?) I missed out a lot of features/logging. I kept telling myself I have what I need.

If I go any further for logging, I’ll prob do a RaS Pi for $150 plus some cables.

Linking a smart MPPT to the smart shunt, and having the smart sense voltage sensing lead closest to the battery terminal will negate any voltage drop or rise from the Smart solar terminals. If you’re pushing 70a of charging current and trying to get each cell to 3.45v any voltage drop won’t help pack that battery full.

I picked up the Ve bus Smart Dongle and def agree for another $100 (plus 300 for a display?) I missed out a lot of features/logging. I kept telling myself I have what I need.

If I go any further for logging, I’ll prob do a RaS Pi for $150 plus some cables.
Honestly I find Victron Connect app on my phone is far handier than a $300 touch screen. Maybe makes sense for RV/boat etc? I think some have managed to get much cheaper panels from Amazon to work but it can get a bit fiddly. However if you just want a read only screen then any HDMI monitor will work. The raspi solution can get expensive when you have to pay for USB to ve.direct cables etc and you may end up pretty close to the Cerbo-s spend level.

Yeah the smart shunt (non BVM) has limited range.

I’ll prob have an Amazon tablet set up with victron connect this summer as a permanent install on a wall and I should be good knowing I have enough info for my needs.

Last edited:
Back