diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a suggestion/product definition for my solar off grid with grid backup plan

Darkwing

Hello everyone.
I am about to pull the trigger and really go forward with my pv plans.
But for that i need some clarification and maybe a couple product ideas. And maybe get my head straightend if i am crazy.
So i want to have pv with batteries but technically 100% sure not to export or being considered grid tied. My system will be small in the beginning but then grow as the paychecks allow.
For that i need to find out what inverter type would take the grid only as a supplementary energy source like a generator would be but would not have the ability to export.
It needs to be us 60hz split phase and able to provide around 10kw to my house.
Is there such thing like this described inverter type?
I read ot alot about hybrids but it always sounds like they can export and are considered grid tied and i def dont want the energy provider being involved or need to ask for interconnect nonsense.
Also not 100% sure how this would be wireed in since the house mains would tunr into the ac output of the inverter and the house main would just be in the inverter ac in port.
Would be great to hear some input about that all.
Thx for any thoughts

Off grid AIO (All in one, often called a solar inverter or even a hybrid due hybrid not having a strict definition). These use grid input and select to either output grid or inverter produced AC output. During grid pass through the inverter can act as a battery charger.

An example block diagram for a critical load setup using both an Off grid AIO, and also a Transfer switch for AIO isolation, is below.

Critical Load panel.png

Thx alot for the fast answer...
so these hybrid/aio can not export?
So i should hunt for those then.
Thx alot.
Do you know if this kind of setup would be still considered grid tied?
And do you by any chance know any good inverters in that class?

I don't recommend any particular models but you can find several different 10kW split phase AIO's that folks have reviewed on the Forum here. See both the Off grid inverters and the AIO Sub Forums. Some are true off grid and others are a blend of grid that could export but limit it via various methods. Hybrid may mean possible grid export so you have to understand how they work.

Typically if the AIO parallels with the grid it requires an interconnect agreement with your Elec. Co. regardless if it is zero export, hybrid* or whatever.

*As I mentioned Hybrid does not necessarily mean it is grid parallel capable though many assume that is the proper definition.

Back