diy solar

diy solar

(Looking for) MPPT with Bolt/Ring Terminal Screws

With a bit of dumb-luck, I found ONE MPPT that does use ring terminals and is also compatible with DC/DC charging. I'll disregard following this thread now, since I get heckled a lot. Thank you for all those who have made recommendations!
Wait, don't go without sharing the ONE you found?!

Hi - Wow I am very surprised No one has told you or mentioned Loctite

Use Loctite RED 242 ** THREAD LOCK ** just a micro dot is all it takes
Then drive your van in the Demolition derby's - Climb a 10 mile high Mountain and peddle to the metal drive off
WARNING - WARNING Everything on the van will break - be crushed etc... ha ha ha humor is always good.
BUT your terminal screws will still be holding stronger 100 ton magnet J/K but Im sure you get the point
Just one small dot about midway on the screws
Most of your Auto / Car builders or professional race cars use LOCTITE small and large screws nuts and bolts

DO NOT Saturate the whole screw / bolt you only need a small drop to cover 1-2 threads thats it and it will hold no matter
what Demolition derby you enter or Mountain you drive off LOL

Reactions: Bop
Hello all! I'm looking around for an MPPT controller with bolt/ring terminal connectors (I don't know the proper term to call them, but I've added photos below to show you what I mean). I recently bought a Victron 100/20, however, its connectors were unable to maintain a tight enough connection; making it a huge safety risk for my setup.

The controllers I use is a 'generic' PWM rebranded by CanadaProof (I'm not sure if they are a real company), but they have been super reliable for the last 4 years! Take a look at the photos attached and let me know if you either know of an MPPT which uses similar connections as the PWM or even if you have one that you would like to sell. Thank you all!
Facebook - Craigslist for nice quality Name brands used ones at cheap Also Loctite 242 RED just one small drop will keep them holding tight no matter what mountain you drive off of the van will crush - break before the screws break free Not really it will take serious effort to undo a screw with Red Loctite Thread locker -- Blue works but it don't hold as tight - ONLY 1 small drop just 1-2 threads midway Do not saturate the screw / bolt LESS IS MORE in this case Auto manufactures other companies heavy machines' vibrating use Loctite thread lock
Very surprised no one in here mentioned it or uses it

An epever Tracer BP series may do the job. The cables are hard-wired. The units are waterproof. They have a rs485 adapter for programming.

I do use thread lock with my PWM controllers, they definitely make the connections stronger (without it, it's pretty strong as it is) but the extra bit is always nice to have.

I almost forgot lol... Its a Kisae DMT1230 DC/DC. While it's only a 30A model I'm interested in (couldn't find an aftermarket alternator that uses my connector for the Honda) they do go up to 50A. I'll add the link below.

Thanks for posting that, had no idea that type of thing existed specifically designed to serve my outboard engine alternator as well as solar panels!

Don’t let the heckling get you down. Some folks want to tell you why they’re right and you’re wrong, some don’t understand your question/situation etc. but most are really just trying to help as best they can.

Thanks for posting that, had no idea that type of thing existed specifically designed to serve my outboard engine alternator as well as solar panels!
The user who recommends the DMT1230 and 50 does note the controller will only charge one method at a time. For example if your engine is running and the controller is receiving power from the vehicle's charging system, it will disable PV charging until the engine shuts down. Since I still have a liking for my PWM (and I've hoarded 10 of the same model), I'll only use the DMT1230 for DC/DC charging. Perhaps later down the road I'll make the switch over.

The user who recommends the DMT1230 and 50 does note the controller will only charge one method at a time. For example if your engine is running and the controller is receiving power from the vehicle's charging system, it will disable PV charging until the engine shuts down. Since I still have a liking for my PWM (and I've hoarded 10 of the same model), I'll only use the DMT1230 for DC/DC charging. Perhaps later down the road I'll make the switch over.
Redarc makes a very expensive version of this as well, alternator and pv charging in 1 unit

The user who recommends the DMT1230 and 50 does note the controller will only charge one method at a time. For example if your engine is running and the controller is receiving power from the vehicle's charging system, it will disable PV charging until the engine shuts down.

Correct, and it will automagically switch back and forth when the engine starts or stops without the need for external relays. Slick !

One internet source said you could user select whether engine/alternator or solar was given priority but I didn’t see that as an option with a quick look at the manual. I believe engine/alternator input is given priority at all times when sufficient voltage is present.

Of course you could use the engine input for an AC charger when at a campsite or dock with power on a rainy day.

Of course you could use the engine input for an AC charger when at a campsite or dock with power on a rainy day.
I haven't plugged into an AC source in a little over 3 years lol. Although with that option it is good insurance to have at hand. In case I did need to use shore power, I do have a 15A charger for backup, though that's only been seeing the starter battery @ 2A on miserably cold days (-30c and lower) when the battery just gives out.

Just a quick update: we did get the Victron working! ...unfortunately, the cables are still quite loose, though we got the wires anchored to a board to restrict as much movement as possible. I still don't trust this particular device, though we're going to do some testing on smaller AGM batteries and see how well it does. Worst comes to worst, it'll be mounted on a larger board and only be used when I'm not driving.

Back