diy solar

diy solar

Looking for the best big inverter for my van install

downhilltrucker

Putting together my van, I have a huge 460ah battery but not sure about which inverter to use. I'm looking for 3000-4000w and reliability and longevity are my two main factors.

Was looking at the Victron 3000w multiplex 2 but I don't need the AC charging capability. Also looking at the new 4000w Giandel but worried about long time reliability.

I don't care about fancy monitoring, I just need a switch! I plan to use this every day although most loads will be light. I run a blender and sometimes a microwave.

Any input is appreciated!

AC charging is good for a backup. Wire it for 120v 15amp service and carry an extension cord. That way if you need it - you can look for a usable 120v outlet.

I have been using my Multiplus for 3 years now 24/7. It’s a great inverter.

What's wrong with the Victron? It's the best
Nothing other than the size I guess! But if I get lots of good feedback on the victron multiplus I'll go that route. I guess I have to buy an adapter for use with lithium and a switch for it too, so that's a small drawback but worth it if it's truly the best.

The Victron Phoenix line is inverter only, but the cost is similar to the Multiplus.
Yeah saw the Phoenix and it seems the same in every regard. If it is, I guess the multiplex 2 is better just because it has the charging option at the same price.

AC charging is good for a backup. Wire it for 120v 15amp service and carry an extension cord. That way if you need it - you can look for a usable 120v outlet.

I have been using my Multiplus for 3 years now 24/7. It’s a great inverter.
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

Nothing other than the size I guess! But if I get lots of good feedback on the victron multiplus I'll go that route. I guess I have to buy an adapter for use with lithium and a switch for it too, so that's a small drawback but worth it if it's truly the best.
You can use either the multiplus or the multiplus II. They both work for a mobile application but have very different dimensions.

I have been using a 2200w Giandel in my RV for a couple years now. I use it to run a mini-split or micro-wave with my 280 ah DIY battery. Never failed me yet. I only run one at a time. I have also used it for power tools also.

Re: Victron, it will have the lowest idle load. That is something to think about.

I have been using a 2200w Giandel in my RV for a couple years now. I use it to run a mini-split or micro-wave with my 280 ah DIY battery. Never failed me yet. I only run one at a time. I have also used it for power tools also.
What size mini split are you running and how long can you run it before your out of battery?

I have a Victron multiplus 12/3000/120 with a pair of 280ah batteries and it works great with low power draw in standby, I have the Bluetooth for it and can turn it on and off as well as set the max input to the power you have available for your shore inlet.
I charge from my alternator mostly. The cool thing about the multiplus is it will power through with boost so you can get shore power plus what the multiplus will output.

EA6ABBA4-F89B-4391-9315-58A6AC9FBC2D.jpeg2548F503-24BB-4844-BF5F-9327360DE524.jpeg

Putting together my van, I have a huge 460ah battery but not sure about which inverter to use. I'm looking for 3000-4000w and reliability and longevity are my two main factors.

Was looking at the Victron 3000w multiplex 2 but I don't need the AC charging capability. Also looking at the new 4000w Giandel but worried about long time reliability.

I don't care about fancy monitoring, I just need a switch! I plan to use this every day although most loads will be light. I run a blender and sometimes a microwave.

Any input is appreciated!

12vdc 🤔 ,,, Rough Math drop a zero off your watts to get your amp draw.

4000W = 400amps

It isn’t quite like that, but usually a cheap conservative “quick reference”.

Inverter choice considerations;

Use pattern - Idle power cnsujed if you have to leave on 24/7 for appliances like a fridge.

Efficiency & where that sits - typically max efficiency is @ 30% of continuous power typically ( so I am told ).

Heat produced (& environment)

Batteries required to supply energy (performance specs are important 460Ah 🤷‍♂️ - what are the specs ,,, all batteries are not created equally)

I would really consider your loads & use pattern (24/7 or limited minutes on/off) & choose what fits your present needs & possible future needs if you can assume what those might be.

Back