diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan battery case

Guys, I'm having trouble with these ferrules. I'm starting to wonder if we should just put the wire in the breaker.
I'm using 2 AWG welding cable. Can someone please show me what you are doing?View attachment 211678

You don't need ferrules for that type of mechanical clamp terminal, It won't damage the strands unlike a direct screw 'choc block', if anything you'll minimise any increased resistance risk from possible poorly crimped ferrule, and get a better contact surface area than a thick uncompressible hard ferrule, only the super thin copper ferrules can be clamped securely at these larger gauge sizes if you really want to use them.

Last edited:
You don't need ferrules for that type of mechanical clamp terminal, It won't damage the strands unlike a direct screw 'choc block', if anything you'll minimise any increased resistance risk from possible poorly crimped ferrule, and get a better conduct surface area than a thick hard ferrule, only the super thin copper ferrules can be clamped securely at these larger gauge sizes.

The crimper I bought looks like the shape of the clamp on the breaker. But the ferrule doesn't turn out the same shape as the crimper.
I put the crimped ferrule in the breaker and tightened it as tight as I could but I was able to pull the wire out of the breaker by wiggling it around. It wasn't easy to get out but it did come out. I tried it with just wire and wiggling it back and forth I could get it out about the same as the one with the ferrule.
I agree that the electrical connection seems like it would be better with just the wire.
Thanks for the replies.

The crimper I bought looks like the shape of the clamp on the breaker. But the ferrule doesn't turn out the same shape as the crimper.
I put the crimped ferrule in the breaker and tightened it as tight as I could but I was able to pull the wire out of the breaker by wiggling it around. It wasn't easy to get out but it did come out. I tried it with just wire and wiggling it back and forth I could get it out about the same as the one with the ferrule.
I agree that the electrical connection seems like it would be better with just the wire.
Thanks for the replies.
Well that was easy, I not going to worry about the ferrules. I have an infrared cam and I will pull 200amp and see how it goes.

I have both types of ferules supplied. 1) the Copper Ring one which can be crimped with a 20mm die (leaves little wings) and I recrimp with 16mm dies. Using an 8T Hydraulic jobbie. The new ones Amy just sent me, are the Tin ones with collar (thinner) and same dies to crimp. NB I am using 4-AWG Silicone Wire.

Just finished case-1 and there were a few adventures in completing it, nothing serious just extra time (3 hours ugh).

Below is a JK-BMS Inverter Edition Diagram which provides a bit more clarity. THIS IS UPDATED from a previous one I had posted, I have to find & replace that.

1714180399346.png

Thanks that is about half of what I have been finding them for. On a off chance I am having my local Allphase check on pricing, usually I can find stuff cheaper on line though even having an account with them for over 20 years.

View attachment 208002

My EriFlex arrived, just need to figure out where it goes.
Drilling this isn’t much fun if you’re a perfectionist like me. After some tests the best way I’ve found is to use a step drill. The holes are much cleaner with a step drill bit vs regular bits.Use a center punch then your smallest drill bit, go up one bit size at a time until your step drill tip will fit in the hole. After drilling use a deburring tool. If you’re going to bend it, make the bends before you drill. If you have to bend it after, drill one end…put a nut and bolt in the hole…then bend. This way will help keep the layers from becoming unaligned.

Last edited:
Drilling this isn’t much fun if you’re a perfectionist like me. After some tests the best way I’ve found is to use a step drill. The holes are much cleaner with a step drill bit vs regular bits.Use a center punch then your smallest drill bit, go up one bit size at a time until your step drill tip will fit in the hole. After drilling use a deburring tool. If you’re going to bend it, make the bends before you drill. If you have to bend it after, drill one end…put a nut and bolt in the hole…then bend. This way will help keep the layers from becoming unaligned.
I am just gonna spend for the tool, I used it on my mobile packs and it was a challenge not to get burs.

2524749B-544B-448F-AAD0-89E1FB68A082.jpeg

Back