diy solar

diy solar

'Main Panel' Question - Square D 30 Amp Panel - Off Grid

NordicNerd

Ok so I have a small system - all I need to do is connect the pieces now that it's all mounted. The Giandel does NOT have a ground-neutral bond so this will be done in the panel.

QUESTION:

Should I put one 30 amp breaker in the panel acting as my main disconnect with a second one feeding my circuit, or just use one to feed my two outlets (one inside and going outside)? Most everything else I have figured out.

Thanks All!

Attachments

• IMG_7245.JPG
    IMG_7245.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 21
With that small of system - it doesn’t matter.

Feel free to save an additional breaker cost and hook the inverter to the lugs or if it is better for you - have two breakers - one for input and one for output.

A standard duplex outlet is rated for a 20A maximum breaker. The inverter is 3000W according to the pic.

One 20A breaker would be sufficient for a total16A continuous load which is 1,920W so would not allow use of the full output of the inverter but may be plenty depending on what you wish to plug in. The other Choice would be 2 x 15A breakers, one for each outlet. Each would be suitable for a 12A continuous load. Both together would be 24A which is the limit of the inverter so would be a good match up.

Thanks all - largest load will be a soft start shallow well jet pump rated at 7 amps. I just wanted the potential to use the max inverter capacity if I ever need it (and likely won’t).

I think I will likely do the 2x 15 amp circuits with inverter direct to the panel lugs.

Also I was looking at using the plugs off the inverter as well - my other option could then be one 20 amp breaker.

Last edited:
Thanks all - largest load will be a soft start shallow well jet pump rated at 7 amps. I just wanted the potential to use the max inverter capacity if I ever need it (and likely won’t).
Do you know what the starting surge is? I'm not familar with jet pumps, but my submerged pump surge is 4X the running amps. I'd guestimate at least 2X?

Do you know what the starting surge is? I'm not familar with jet pumps, but my submerged pump surge is 4X the running amps. I'd guestimate at least 2X?
Max 15 amps. I attached a picture of the pump I selected.

Attachments

• F8BD39F4-AA66-4664-BCB7-AE2651C65320.jpeg
    F8BD39F4-AA66-4664-BCB7-AE2651C65320.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 28593DCA-AFA6-4F79-A200-B6BD63256409.jpeg
    28593DCA-AFA6-4F79-A200-B6BD63256409.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 10
Update on panel and breakers. I decided to go with one 30 amp breaker. I will use the outlets from the inverter in the 'bunkie' / tiny home as its only 150 sq ft. I will run one 30 amp line outside to an RV plug as I also have a trailer - if needed I can use an adaptor plug outside for 15 amp use or put in a sub panel with a 15 amp fuse for my shallow well jet pump in the future.

Back