diy solar

diy solar

Maintenance manual bypass (Gen, Sol-Ark, off grid)

mvonw

Solar Addict
(non-electrician asking naively..)
I'm planning an off-grid system around a Sol-Ark 12k which I would normally plan to have connected to the Sol-Ark 'grid' breaker to my generator (240v split phase) with autostart. What kind of bypass switch should I get to bypass the inverter and feed my cabin directly from the generator in the case of an inverter failure?

I have been looking for same thing. You get manual switch, or automatic switch (ATS).

Look at Generac or Reliance, they seem to be most poplar from what I can tell. I cant help you select a model. It would be based on your AMP requirements, etc. Ask manufacturer for advice on selecting a model

(non-electrician asking naively..)
I'm planning an off-grid system around a Sol-Ark 12k which I would normally plan to have connected to the Sol-Ark 'grid' breaker to my generator (240v split phase) with autostart. What kind of bypass switch should I get to bypass the inverter and feed my cabin directly from the generator in the case of an inverter failure?
I’m not sure if you’re familiar with engineer 775 (Scott Hunt/Practical Preppers) on YouTube. He installed my panels, both Sol-Ark 12K’s and a 20K Cummins Onan generator. This is the manual transfer switch he installed. It’s a GE brand. It serves the same purpose as you described. If there’s a problem with the solar, we can fire the generator up and switch to generator only mode while we service or repair solar.

Attachments

• 88E1ECC4-EBF1-45CB-921E-7BF2D0B99281.jpeg
    88E1ECC4-EBF1-45CB-921E-7BF2D0B99281.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2E9E36BD-37C9-4027-99F9-C11DDC349DF1.jpeg
    2E9E36BD-37C9-4027-99F9-C11DDC349DF1.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 59
  • F80B0E75-A3B6-46F9-A0D3-E6BE5330E1B6.jpeg
    F80B0E75-A3B6-46F9-A0D3-E6BE5330E1B6.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 61
I’m not sure if you’re familiar with engineer 775 (Scott Hunt/Practical Preppers) on YouTube. He installed my panels, both Sol-Ark 12K’s and a 20K Cummins Onan generator. This is the manual transfer switch he installed. It’s a GE brand. It serves the same purpose as you described. If there’s a problem with the solar, we can fire the generator up and switch to generator only mode while we service or repair solar.
Shawn,
I know this is an old thread. Any chance you have a picture of the model number or setup of the 200A input AC distribution that feeds both the Sol-Ark and manual disconnect switch? Having trouble getting my installer to wrap their head around it.

Tyler

Are you referencing something like this?

View attachment 180933
View attachment 180934
Shawn,
I was trying to see what they used for the 4/0 distribution to dual 4/0 after the manual disconnect. Looks like in other builds he is using 69093 3 pole dual input/output lugs.

Looks like they used polaris lugs with tape on yours?

Tyler

I do not know what type or name brand it is.
I’m not sure if those lugs were taped originally? I recently upgraded from the older 12 K models to the newer 12 K models.
So when Scott sent his electrician out to do the swap, he is the one that put tape around the lugs. Not really sure why he did that.

Back