diy solar

diy solar

Mean Well inverters?

electrocamper

Has anyone used these Meanwell inverters in their builds or heard/seen them used in other industrial or commercial applications? Meanwell makes good quality components but I am wondering about their longevity especially in mobile systems.

NTS-3200 spec (24V $913.56)
or
NTU-3200 spec (24V $872.59) - basically a NTS-3200 with AC bypass provided by offshore power.

Thanks

Mean Well is very high quality imo, if they ever made a large 48v inverter I would be very interested.

I am using their 2300W power supply as my grid charger.

That model looks very camper focused but sounds like that's what you're doing?

Avoid putting 12v lithium batteries in series to make 24v if you can. Use 24v batteries.

Mean Well is very high quality imo, if they ever made a large 48v inverter I would be very interested.

I am using their 2300W power supply as my grid charger.

That model looks very camper focused but sounds like that's what you're doing?

Avoid putting 12v lithium batteries in series to make 24v if you can. Use 24v batteries.

Yes, I am building a 24V battery out of individual cells.

I've heard these are used commercially in the US but it seems not so much in the DIY space, unlike their PSUs and battery chargers (RSPs).

Since I will be boon-docking and traveling internationally, I'd like to having separate units. In case one fails, I still have a functional system. I am thinking of getting:
  • two NTU-3200-124TB:
    • 2 x 3000W continuous rated power
    • 90% efficiency
    • 100-120VAC AC bypass (for the rare scenario, if I already paid for camping at a campground in North/South American countries that are on 120VAC )
  • one NPB-1700-24 one RSP-1500-24
    • 90 - 264VAC charger input, 50A (in the rare case I need to charge the batteries, worldwide input VAC, planning a 4-5kW PV array, 23kWh battery)

... instead of:
  • one Victron Quattro 24/5000/120-100/100
  • 1x4000W,
  • 94% efficiency
  • 90-140 VAC charger input, 2x100A

Price-wise (not the most important factor), without tax, Mean Well is cheaper.
Mean Well: $2,178 (2 inverters + charger)
Victron: $2,900 (including the PC dongle)

edit: changed RSP-1500-24 to NPB-1700-24 thanks @hwy17

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for making this post. I didn't know Mean Well made inverters. Been using their switching supplies for 15 years with no complaints others than some are noisier RFI wise than others. Good prices on those inverters too. Very tempted!

So what are your 24v and 48v considerations? It looks like Mean Well offers both the charger and inverter in both voltages.

Is 8 280Ah size cells the right fit for physical space and likely all the capacity you'll ever need?

I used the Energy Audit tool to get to an idea of the ideal battery and PV array size.

It's 24V because I will be using the Electrodacus SBMS0 and a lot of my appliances will be "native" 24V.
The battery is a 24 cell, 304Ah, in 8s3p configuration. I am still identifying and searching for the right PV panel but I will have space for 12 panels.

Back