diy solar

diy solar

Measuring heat pump electrical usage -- anybody using a smart device of some kind?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
We've had our off grid Mitsubishi Hyper Heat installed for about a week now and are loving it. I'd like to measure and log its power consumption. I've seen some devices that you can place around the power cable and it will measure and log the data. Anybody use logging their consumption and if so, what do you use? Bonus if the measurement device can connect to a LAN so the data can be saved over a network.

I'm currently leaning toward https://openenergymonitor.org as a solution.

Last edited:
I'm currently leaning toward https://openenergymonitor.org as a solution.
(y) I don't have a heat pump, but have been using their emonPi for monitoring our house, solar and battery usage for 2 years - works really well and highly configurable. The team know their stuff, are responsive, and have been putting in a lot of effort in the heat-pump monitoring for a while.

I've used three Emporia Vue devices in three different buildings (two properties) for well over two years. Works well and aligns with what the power company charges me for overall use in each building. The measurement for the heat pump circuits in each of these buildings seems correct, and I recently used that data to plan for the off grid system in another property we're getting ready to build. Iotawatt is another option that I may try in the future, largely because it has no or less cloud dependency.

Emporia for my Mitsubishi heat pump. Make sure you have have it on the right conductor if you use only 1 CT. One leg pulls a small amount to keep it awake, the other won't recognize the load and it will read 0.

Which unit did you install?

I like the data given with the device you are looking at level 3.

Does Emporia do power factor?

My 30k hyper heat Mitsu dual head draws 1-1.4a (when all head units off).

My only hope is a fixed power factor corrector.

If you already have a smart home system with Z-Wave support, there is e.g. the "Aeotec Home Energy Meter (HEM) ZW095" as an alternative. I have had good experiences with it. However, it can only measure the total values (power, voltage, amps, energy) of the house (only 2 CT's with 200A). Split phase L1 and L2 separately and both together.

Neither Emporia nor the Aeotec can measure reactive power (I measure my total house reactive power using data from the inverters via Solar Assistant).

As @SunBum mentioned, I would only use local communicating solutions without any cloud connects. Good to know, that Emporia Vue could be reflashed with ESPHome to achieve that - I was not aware of that (z-Wave solutions automatically always working local without cloud access).

Back