diy solar

diy solar

Mitsubishi mini splits off-grid?

What mini split do you have and for how long have you had it?
I have a 24k btu Pioneer on 240 and a 9k btu Senville on 120 and both work perfectly on the Growatt. I installed the Pioneer in 2016 and the Senville in 2018. Both are used daily for heat or AC, depending on the highly variable Pennsylvania climate.

Considering my experience with “cheap” mini splits, I can’t think of any good reason to spend 4 times the price for one of the aforementioned units. Mine ramp up slowly over maybe 30-45 seconds when the come on. There is no surge. I’ve observed this both with a clamp on at the AC input and from watching the inverter load on Solar Assistant.
We're on the same page. My 23 yr old Trace SW4048's don't even hiccup when my self installed no name mini splits start up on heat or cool. 1 x 18,000 BTU Mr. Cool and 1x 24,000 BTU "Ductless Aire" from Home Depot.

How much does the inverter need to be oversized to compensate for this?
It not a matter of oversizing inverter. It is a matter of real power (resistive) loading compared to short high current pulse peaks.

On a PWM inverter there is an L-C output filter to smooth out the PWM chopping, that rings when hit with short load current pulses. The ringing upsets the ability of inverter to regulate its 60 Hz AC output causing erratic swings in its AC output voltage regulations.

It not a matter of oversizing inverter. It is a matter of real power (resistive) loading compared to short high current pulse peaks.

On a PWM inverter there is an L-C output filter to smooth out the PWM chopping, that rings when hit with short load current pulses. The ringing upsets the ability of inverter to regulate its 60 Hz AC output causing erratic swings in its AC output voltage regulations.
That means nothing to 99.9% of the users of this forum.

I was wondering if anyone was using 24k or 36k Mitsubishi mini splits off-grid? I was told today by an HVAC guy it wouldn't work, but Daiken or Fujitsu would. I've read multiple other threads here, but didn't see anyone mention that they had Mits and were completely off-grid.

Thanks in advance!
I have two 12k 240vac Mitsubishi mini splits and two 12k 120vac DIY MrCool mini splits and have been completely off grid since 21-July. No problems whatsoever with any of the mini splits and no noticeable surge when watching them ramp up with a clamp on amp meter when turning them on. I have the 120 units on separate legs to keep neutral current down.
The MrCool units outperform the Mitsubishi units noticeably- I believe they must be over rated as compared to nameplate, it was a pleasant surprise. The first MrCool took about 16 hours for my 17 year old and I to install, the 2nd was 5 or 6 hours a month later.

We're on the same page. My 23 yr old Trace SW4048's don't even hiccup when my self installed no name mini splits start up on heat or cool. 1 x 18,000 BTU Mr. Cool and 1x 24,000 BTU "Ductless Aire" from Home Depot.
Old Trace inverter is not a high frequency PWM inverter with PWM L-C filter.

OK that theory makes sense (which is why I thought adding active load to rotate the power factor would help), but it seems like other people are doing OK.

I have two 12k 240vac Mitsubishi mini splits and two 12k 120vac DIY MrCool mini splits and have been completely off grid since 21-July. No problems whatsoever with any of the mini splits and no noticeable surge when watching them ramp up with a clamp on amp meter when turning them on. I have the 120 units on separate legs to keep neutral current down.
The MrCool units outperform the Mitsubishi units noticeably- I believe they must be over rated as compared to nameplate, it was a pleasant surprise. The first MrCool took about 16 hours for my 17 year old and I to install, the 2nd was 5 or 6 hours a month later.
How long have you had your mrcools? I've seen a ton of mixed reviews and have read Mitsubishi is the gold standard of mini-splits...

How long have you had your mrcools? I've seen a ton of mixed reviews and have read Mitsubishi is the gold standard of mini-splits...
Main complaints with Mr Cool: the precharged linesets are ugly. the markup in exchange for the convenience is high and you can get Chinese rebadges of higher tier for the same price, if only you had the gumption to install a standard lineset

Main raves about Mr Cool: the precharged linesets are convenient

Probably the detailed specifications are worse than Mitsubishi. For instance a lot of people on r/heatpumps rave about Gree Flexx, but the specs are certainly a bit worse than Mitsubishi. But you have a lot more $$$ left in your pocket

First one in June, 2nd in early July. The first Mitsubishi was October 2022, 2nd January 2023. Not long but no leaks and so far good, time will tell.

Judging by all the complaint treads about flickering lights from their inverter, I don't believe that is true. They may not understand the reason, but they are experiencing the result.
Yes, but you are using $20 words that those of us with 50 cent budgets may not get. I try to appreciate your expertise but most of it is lost on me. It's odd that you don't even attempt to educate and just assume that everyone is at your level of expertise in power electronics.

Judging by all the complaint treads about flickering lights from their inverter, I don't believe that is true. They may not understand the reason, but they are experiencing the result.
It has been my experience that light flickering is directly connected with the quality of the LED light. I have very good non dimming GE lamps all over the house and they never even blink. My home office has dimmable cheap LED lamps on a Levitton dimmer that look like disco lights at times.

Spend $200 on a vacuum pump and offset flaring tool and trim your lines to proper length.

A vertical placed coil of excess lines length traps oil, potentially starving compressor of oil return. If you must use MrCool and have excess lines, place the coil of lines horizontal, like under an elevated outside unit bracket.

offset flaring tool and trim your lines to proper length.
I couldn’t agree more, except the skill does not come quickly and for some people it takes forever to get where you can put a system together with no leaks. Good craftsmen really are worth their weight in gold, but for people who want to hang onto more their gold and not go through the painful experience of learning to properly assemble tubing fittings and dealing with all of the mistakes along the way in the learning process, MrCool has so far been a painless option for me.

Considering my experience with “cheap” mini splits, I can’t think of any good reason to spend 4 times the price for one of the aforementioned units. Mine ramp up slowly over maybe 30-45 seconds when the come on. There is no surge. I’ve observed this both with a clamp on at the AC input and from watching the inverter load on Solar Assistant.
But they aren’t 4x the price in comparison to high SEER Gree/Midea rebadged units. About 1.5x. Maybe 3x the cheapest and shittiest low SEER unit out there. At least for the equipment and DIY.

I MIGHT mix in some of Alpine’s high SEER units into my setup (Two Mitsubishis, will be at least 10 total single head units, BEFORE I build a house) when I expand, but probably not. I like Mitsubishi’s online parts diagrams and manuals and ability to repair.

And I like sticking to one kind of thing for parts and backups.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more, except the skill does not come quickly and for some people it takes forever to get where you can put a system together with no leaks. Good craftsmen really are worth their weight in gold, but for people who want to hang onto more their gold and not go through the painful experience of learning to properly assemble tubing fittings and dealing with all of the mistakes along the way in the learning process, MrCool has so far been a painless option for me.
If the meth heads that are HVAC (at least in my area) can figure it out, any person with decent mechanical aptitude can get it done. Granted mechanical aptitude is a dying trait.

I was told today by an HVAC guy (Mitsubishi) wouldn't work, but Daiken or Fujitsu would.
One of my best friends is an HVAC wholesaler, and one of the few that handle both Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. I'm building a new home next year that we're thinking of keeping off grid, and Mitubishi is a top contender (Fujitsu also in the running). I think you need to call a few more HVAC guys, as that one sounds like an idiot.

Also, I currently have both Mitsubishi and Daikin units in different properties. Daikin is NOT in the running for the new house. Works OK, but doesn't hold a candle to the Mitsubishi in my view.

One of my best friends is an HVAC wholesaler, and one of the few that handle both Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. I'm building a new home next year that we're thinking of keeping off grid, and Mitubishi is a top contender (Fujitsu also in the running). I think you need to call a few more HVAC guys, as that one sounds like an idiot.

Also, I currently have both Mitsubishi and Daikin units in different properties. Daikin is NOT in the running for the new house. Works OK, but doesn't hold a candle to the Mitsubishi in my view.
Trane and Mitsu are partners. https://gotductless.com/blogs/compa...rer Comparison,conditioning systems in the US.

This is an interesting video, there has been considerable consolidation in the industry.

Back