diy solar

diy solar

Morningstar MPPT 45 hits 20,000Ah

MisterSandals

Participation Medalist
This Morningstar Tristar MPPT 45 was insanely expensive (over $700) in 2010. But it has been a worker. 8 years with 330W of solar on my RV charging lead acid. The last 3 years, with 300W solar on garage, its been charging various lithium banks for the seed warmers, lighted grow house, quite a few utility batteries and my LiFePO4 test bench.
20,000Ah x 13.8V = 276,000Wh
$700 / 276kWh = $2.53 per kWh

Its produced quite a lot of power while boon docking and has been completely trouble free so worth the money to me.

Going strong...
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 4.29.16 PM.png

Last edited:
How hard is it to program for lithium? (theres no lithium setting for the dip switches).
morningstar has a new cc bit no pricing or availability. Supposed to be,easy to program for lithium

How hard is it to program for lithium? (theres no lithium setting for the dip switches).
morningstar has a new cc bit no pricing or availability. Supposed to be,easy to program for lithium
The MPPT 45 i had required a male (i think) DB9 to plug into it. So i took an ethernet cable and soldered it pin-wise to the DB9 plug i scavenged from what might have been an old video cable (it was 3 years ago so foggy on the details).
But with that, i was able to easily update the firmware using MSView (i think), and create a user defined profile too.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, the only oddity was that when it reaches full charge (13.88V as recommended by Morningstar) the remote shows "Fault" flashing and the SCC shows a flashing red light until voltage drops a bit.
But it works absolutely flawlessly.

MorningStar has long considered the best.....been using their products for over 30 years.
What do you use?

have you had a look at their new inverter and charge controller products?

I've had my MS MPPT-45 for about 10+ years now. For the first 9, it charged a 2S2P GC-2 bank. I've been charging a 12V 460AH LiFePo4 bank for the last 18 months. It has been flawless the entire time.

I've had my MS MPPT-45 for about 10+ years now. For the first 9, it charged a 2S2P GC-2 bank. I've been charging a 12V 460AH LiFePo4 bank for the last 18 months. It has been flawless the entire time.
You had no issues programming for lifepo4?

im surprised Morningstar doesn’t get more love here.

This Morningstar Tristar MPPT 45 was insanely expensive (over $700) in 2010. But it has been a worker. 8 years with 330W of solar on my RV charging lead acid. The last 3 years, with 300W solar on garage, its been charging various lithium banks for the seed warmers, lighted grow house, quite a few utility batteries and my LiFePO4 test bench.
20,000Ah x 13.8V = 276,000Wh
$700 / 276kWh = $2.53 per kWh

Its produced quite a lot of power while boon docking and has been completely trouble free so worth the money to me.

Going strong...
View attachment 124402

I'll see your -45 and raise you my -60 (see attachments).

You must have not purchased the (more expensive) Web enabled version. I get that - in the "prehistoric" days of early 00's, when solar was still $10 per watt, we had to watch every penny...

Attachments

• TS_live.jpg
    TS_live.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
  • TS_datalog.jpg
    TS_datalog.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 11
You had no issues programming for lifepo4?

im surprised Morningstar doesn’t get more love here.
No issues other than having to hook up to it with a cable. Old school but reliable as can be. :cool:

My TriStar MPPT-60 is only 11 yo. Works same as new. Adapted to LFP without issue. The price includes tons of functionality that goes unused. This is really a commercial unit. For the price I skipped the display panel. Have not missed it.

I keep an old win95 netbook around for programming if needed.

COzha52l.jpg

Back