diy solar

diy solar

Moved to the right forum (Sailboat : Power stations vs lithium batteries bank)

xavpil

Sorry for the question to be so unclear.
I have a sailboat and 1200w of solar panels.
I will be living off grid in the bahamas

I was going to go the solar-mppt-inverter/chareger-400Ah Lithium LifeSp04
12v

Now I am thinking: what about those big power station that can use solar to charge like EcoFlow and others?
3.6-25kWh expandable capacity
3600W-7200W AC output for 99% appliances

1- does anyone knows about this?
2- how do I compare what my solar MPPT system would produce vs a power station? I don’t know what numbers looking

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Your set-up of 400Ah at 12V would be around 4.8kWh of energy stored - so about 1 kWh more than the 3.6kWh basic EcoFlow you mention. Output power depends entirely on your selected inverter.

Both options have their pro's and con's - make sure that DIY systems on a boat are properly clamped down so cells don't shift etc.

Support for your ecoflow if it fails in the Bahamas is likely non existent. Perhaps consider something like Victron where you will have parts availability.

how do I compare what my solar MPPT system would produce vs a power station? I don’t know what numbers looking
I know a bit about small boats and how space works. Sometimes even 2-3” offered by moving a bulkhead or a locker can make what was a constant annoyance into an unnoticeable feature. Sort of like a 2” toekick under a kitchen cabinet- you ‘find it’ 19/20 times, but with 3”, 3-1/2” or more most people never even think about it.

While these power stations on a boat- which is probably somewhat ‘spacious’ if it can accommodate 1200W of panels- are compact in footprint, they are not so convenient in volume. I would be more inclined to do your plan “A” so that tucking the smaller independent components into various unnoticeable spaces that most intermediate boats offer is possible.

Plan “A” offers a number of ancillary advantages in my mind as well.
First, your independent components can be individually selected to optimize serving your goals at a lesser monetary cost while serving the lesser form factor / cubic inch “cost” as well.
Second, you can select a higher end SCC like a Victron and still utilize low-cost commodity batteries. You have options.
Third, if the electricity supplied is provisioning essential items like a refrigerator and/or laptop/phone for income, etc., then you ‘can’ keep backup equipment on hand that is small and easily stored.
Fourth is related to ‘third:’ if the portable suitcase has some issue and fails the whole shebang is dead; other than waiting for a new unit or replacement components or buying a whole new one you are dead in the water- the sails are luff with no zephyr in sight. However your Plan “A” in difficulty might even be solvable in minutes with relatively small dollars at the Marina or rigging provisioner.

Those are my thoughts.
I’ve never done what you are doing but I have drooled over a few commodious ~35’-class sailboats with the fantasy incongruity of an eight-year-old. I’m jealous LOL

I just wouldn’t subject myself to the vulnerability of a portable ‘power station’ (sic).

Last edited:
have a sailboat and 1200w of solar panels.
I will be living off grid in the bahamas

I was going to go the solar-mppt-inverter/chareger-400Ah Lithium LifeSp04
12v
Buy quality seperate function units, ideally Victron. Install with quality marine rated cable and parts, ( Blue Sea)
Share your solar panels with at least two solar controllers.
Have backup charging, generator, engine, wind power.
Have your lithiun battery arranged in multiple 12v batteries each with its own BMS.
Use 105 Ah cells, so 4 batteries.
Don't consider an 'all in one' or power station.
Have lead acid batteries for engine starting and windlass.

Redundancy and ease of repair and replacement are the key to a stress free life on a boat.

Install yourself or become familiar with all aspects of the electrical system.

Carry equipment, tools and within resion spare parts, to enable repairs. ( fuses , breakers, cable)

Back