diy solar

diy solar

"regular" solar system or portable power station?

The one scenario in which I think this might make sense is if you split your time between cruising and RVing. In that situation you could move your Ecoflow/similar device from one vehicle to another. Otherwise, if you build your system out of components you are going to get a better quality, higher capacity, more easily repairable system for your boat that is integrated into its systems.

You could always do both, take a portable panel and a 1000 watt or similar powerbank to serve as a backup/charge phones & tablets without using the house bank, etc.

To the OP
I've only just come across AIOs and had a previously had concerns about batteries down low in the bilge due to weight.
in an emergency and the boats taking on water the bilge will have water sloshing about the place which is where your battery generally live. Losing basic communication could be life threatening. A portable unit, you could quickly pick up and put higher or out on deck would favor this scenario as well as the ability to literally take it out into a life raft with you.
Unhooking batteries with the boat violently heeling /rolling under stress would be difficult to say the least.

Finally;
After living aboard for some time and meeting lots of folk on the water , i have rarely met a boater who doesn't have a gas/petrol generator on board as a back up. Regardless of their electronic choices.
I think these 2 together would suffice for the majority of living aboard.

Back