diy solar

diy solar

MT 50 Display Question

How bout using an AVM instead of a DVM, hmm? ?

Is AVM one of those things that my grandfather use to use with the needle that jumped back and forth?? I think I saw one at EE school one time in the museum ...

LOL

Honestly i love the old stuff -- and I am fascinated by vacuum tube technology and things like that ... but honestly ... most of the stuff I work on I need to get readings down to four numbers 0.xxxx ....

I have had circumstances where interference would cause DVM resistance readings to not work at all ..... an analog meter worked fine.

The Simson 360 is definitely a good old classic meter.
I like an analog meter much better for doing resistance measurements ...... but if there is a 30A fuse and voltage is accidentally checked with the meter in the amp postion ..... something is going to smoke.
This is what we used in the Navy in the sixties - AVO Model 8.

Attachments

• C5767BE1-2566-4ABE-B3CC-E6AFDA50BBDA.jpeg
    C5767BE1-2566-4ABE-B3CC-E6AFDA50BBDA.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 7
i would first pull the positive solar wire from the controller and measure voltage between it and panel negative. in sunlight, shaded or not, this should be in the region of 20v for a 36 cell panel. If it is then i would measure short circuit current which would show up high resistance connections, a meter capable of 5 or 10A should be adequate. Observe correct probe positions on the meter and hopefully you haven't already blown the internal current fuse. an Analogue or Digital meter will work just as well for both these measurements as this question now seems more about their relative merits than the actual question.

Is AVM one of those things that my grandfather use to use with the needle that jumped back and forth?? I think I saw one at EE school one time in the museum ...

LOL

Honestly i love the old stuff -- and I am fascinated by vacuum tube technology and things like that ... but honestly ... most of the stuff I work on I need to get readings down to four numbers 0.xxxx ....

Well of course I'm not as old as anyone's grandfather nor ever will be, (rolling eyes :cool: ), but I did witness the transition from crystal oscillators to VCO and Phased lock loop technology used in generating the various RF frequencies for wireless communications as well as the introduction of microcomputers built into the radios that allowed things like changing the frequency via keyboard without having to literally install new crystals!

Over time, the yearly, mandatory FCC/PM checks which required that we meter and adjust things like the crystal oscillators because of frequency drift, went away because phase lock loop did not drift per se. The meters, oh you should have seen some of the old meters from the 50's and 60's, (before my time tyvm), I had to use especially on transmitters that had tube finals ... Memories ...

That looks like a panel meter, no banana jacks!
Great stuff though the bakelite plastic was fairly easily broken if handled too roughly, TG for the leather cases for the portable Simpsons!

That looks like a panel meter, no banana jacks!
Great stuff though the bakelite plastic was fairly easily broken if handled too roughly, TG for the leather cases for the portable Simpsons!
Yes , these ones also had leather cases and the leads were attached to terminal posts but without the banana sockets. 2500v AC / DC terminals at the top for high voltage readings in valve transmitter final stages and radar equipment !

Since we're strolling down memory lane while waiting for Capt Y Knot to get some readings. A few years ago my coworkers and I were cleaning exhibits on the USS Missouri (Mighty MO) based in Pearl Harbor. After our chores were done the coordinator led us into the belly of the beast and we were able to crawl over, touch, and accidentally step on thousands of pieces of WWII tech. Computers the size of semi-trucks, mercury switches, bakelite galore! It was a very surreal experience and I was amazed at how sophisticated the equipment was.

Yes , these ones also had leather cases and the leads were attached to terminal posts but without the banana sockets. 2500v AC / DC terminals at the top for high voltage readings in valve transmitter final stages and radar equipment !
Valves .. I have one piece of valve equipment that is on my bucket list to R&R one fine day, this Silvertone wire recorder, record player, radio.

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_105915.jpg
    IMG_20200126_105915.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
Since we're strolling down memory lane while waiting for Capt Y Knot to get some readings. A few years ago my coworkers and I were cleaning exhibits on the USS Missouri (Mighty MO) based in Pearl Harbor. After our chores were done the coordinator led us into the belly of the beast and we were able to crawl over, touch, and accidentally step on thousands of pieces of WWII tech. Computers the size of semi-trucks, mercury switches, bakelite galore! It was a very surreal experience and I was amazed at how sophisticated the equipment was.

THAT'S really cool stuff, isn't it amazing to see what they were able to accomplish and how they got er done? I love museums of many sorts including the industrial and technology museum that you were blessed to help preserve, I probably should be a curator! (I did get to spend a few days on big John while still active and go out to sea on "her" and roam the ship from top to bottom)! Mind boggling ..

Anyways, back to the original MT-50 thread before we get scolded for veering off course into the land of speak easy, we are awaiting our coforum member's troubleshooting results, as you were!

...IMG_20200125_170412.jpg

As the sun sets upon a solar gainful Saturday, this reading could only mean one thing for Saturday night ..
....IMG_20200321_162439.jpg

That's right ...
1584835903160.png

Isn’t 14.5 v a bit high?

14.5 VDC meter happiness ..

I wish! The maximum SOC for my Lifepos is 14.6 volts, but the only time I ever see a reading close to that number is when my solar panels or my shore power charger is actively charging. As soon as the charge current is removed, the batteries settle down to about a 13.5 volt full SOC.

My guess as to why I cannot charge the batteries to their full, 14.6 VDC SOC specification is that the built in BMS is factory preset to limit the battery's maximum SOC to 13.5 volts.

Of course if it was a lead acid then yes 14.5 would be a too high reading under a non charging situation, but not necessarily so during charging.

Last edited:
OK then, 14.5 is 3.625v per cell which I thought was a touch high.

Guess I should bump up my SCC setting. Seems I had read 14.2 or 14.4 for the upper limit.

Back