diy solar

diy solar

My Household Solar Power Bank

AZRoadrunner

Just wrapped up the project! This is my home solar emergency power bank. Everything will be enclosed in a custom cabinet (to be installed in a few weeks). The system consists of:
- Four 195-watt Eco-Worthy panels, mounted on our porch covering, facing due south.
- Three Weize 24-volt, 200 AH batteries, for 600 AH total storage.
- Victron 150/35 charge controller
- Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 Inverter/Charger
- Victron BMV-712 battery monitor

This system does not connect to the house electrical -- use requires extension cords connected to the power strip close to the floor. The purpose is to keep refrigerators, freezers, and other essential devices running in the event of a lengthy power outage.

You'll also see a connection labeled "Cart Charging Port". Last year I built a roll-around solar generator, it can plug into there for charging.

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

I am not a Victron expert but it looks nice. Not enough to charge a car battery but quite ok to run the refrigerators, etc..

Looks like you could use a plastic bushing at the end of the curved metal conduit at the top left.

Much neater than anything I’ve done ?.

Looks like you could use a plastic bushing at the end of the curved metal conduit at the top left.

Much neater than anything I’ve done ?.
Agreed. Bonus points for putting it in a box. I'd probably swap the battery breaker for an MRBF fuse or jump to a class T if there are plans to jump to 48V.
Nice clean install.

QILIPSU 4 Way Outdoor Breaker Box IP65 PC/ABS Alloy Plastic Din Rail Power Distribution Enclosure with Clear Cover, Bus Bars and DIN Rail (4 Way) https://a.co/d/1Of5O92

I would love to see a breaker box and at least a couple of circuits on the inverter 120v output. That MultiPlus can pass 50amps into that power strip, and doubt that power strip is rated for more than 20amps. And I agree with MRBF battery fuses instead of that breaker.

Looks good. Nice and neat.

Last edited:
I'd probably swap the battery breaker for an MRBF fuse or jump to a class T if there are plans to jump to 48V.
No plans to go to 48v. This system banks enough power to keep our essentials running, most of which pull very little power anyway. Our home is only about 2000 sq. ft., single level, and it's just the two of us.

I would love to see a breaker box and at least a couple of circuits on the inverter 120v output. That MultiPlus can pass 50amps into that power strip, and doubt that power strip is rated for more than 20amps. And I agree with MRBF battery fuses instead of that breaker.

Looks good. Nice and neat.
Excellent points. Our needs are fairly small, but at least another power strip is a good idea just to be certain. And MRBF fuses would be a better choice.

I like your choice of components. We only have 400ah of storage. :(
dbd5e9a7-de09-4abd-a1ab-6293b881e9c8-jpeg.169320

Nice job! My only nit pick is the exposed battery terminals. Search Amazon for battery terminal boot.

I advocate for "parallel" systems all the time, if one is stuck on-grid. This is a fine example of what anyone can do, right now, and code- and hassle-free.

Plus, if one starts throwing loads onto this kind of parallel power source, now you are reducing the grid bill side of things ... so this will help all the time, not just in emergencies!

Nice work!

Back