diy solar

diy solar

Need help with reviewing my installation

cansel

Hi All,

I've recently setup a residential solar system in a remote off grid location and need help reviewing my final installation plan. I have some of the wiring done but some of the connections are still temporary until I can get a better idea of what I'm doing. I don't trust local electricians as their standards involve the sole use of breakers as protection and can't afford to import one to do the job. I have experience with electronics and basic electrical repairs but I am mostly concerned with my earthing setup as I live in a location which is prone to very intense lightning strikes during parts of the year. Could someone help me review my diagram? I'm in doubt as to whether I need to earth the external building to a fourth earth rod or if I can just pigtail it to the cable coming from the main building before it connects to the rod. Also, I'm very much aware that my sub-panel breakers exceed the main panel amps but I need those appliances in separate circuits. I can't find smaller amp breakers that fit the boxes so I used larger ones, being very aware that a combined load of over 50 amps will trip.

Any help is appreciated here.

Thanks
electrics.png

First of all, can’t help with the lightning protection like you asked, but will comment in the hopes s “free bump” will put this to the top where someone else can.
===========
On the panels you list Alu/copper wire. If cost is nto a factor like an extremely long run, Recommend sticking to copper.

The way you have the SPD device on the panels and Grow watt to me don’t seem to do anything but draw power. I would expect it to be in line if it were to prevent a surge.

Not sure a single 100 ah 48 volt battery is a good match for a 6000 watt inverter. The battery is probably capped out at 4800 watt output Before a BMS trip.

For your Inverter shed, is there a panel that splits your 50 amp Main load with the 15 amp Well pump?

Last edited:
I work with mountain top microwave systems the only thing you can do with lightning is to make sure your entire system is grounded in one spot. You don't want equipment connected to multiple grounding rods where a strike nearby can cause current to flow between those grounding locations you will get a high voltage potential between them. We ground everything to a busbar that connects to one large grounding rod.

If your home takes a direct hit, it will blow everything up that is not connected by fiber optics nothing much you can do about a direct hit. We isolate our network gear from the microwave system using fiber jumpers everything is powered by DC battery system. Direct hits usually take out all the microwave equipment only the antenna and wave guide are left. Since the buildings are all steel doesn't really cause any fires just lot of damage to electronics. I have seen hits to buildings where strike hit a security camera went back to the network switch and back to 20 other security cameras damaging all those too. That happened one summer we spent months replacing cameras on light poles.

Most are not direct hits you don't want those nearby hits to cause damage to your electronics lot of times it happens anyway. Lightning strikes have so much voltage no way to really stop it. We have lots of lightning rods still end up with damage about once a year one of our sites. IMO lightning protection rods are not really effective. It's more theory than actual real world we still put them in anyway. The contract companies that install them use 1" grounding cables more for looks with the skin effect don't need such heavy cabling I think more for looks. If you argue that those things don't work they claim you went through monsoon season without getting hit because of them.

Last edited:
Back