diy solar

diy solar

need solar shack sizing help

NakeDiesel

Getting ready to start on my first stage of my plans which will be getting my whole house generator in place, ATS, Manual ATS and Manual Disconnect in place. I'm going to pour a pad big enough for sitting the generator on one end and building a solar shack on the other side to contain all of the solar components including the inverter(s), batteries, ATS, MATS, MD etc.. It will be 10 to 15' behind the house and about 15 to 20' away from our propane tank. Trying to figure out a sizing on how big I need to make the room for all the solar devices and batteries?

I want to keep it as small as possible for cooling/heating purposes. I plan on spray foaming the walls and ceiling once it's built with closed cell foam. My idea for heating/cooling is to run two 4" pvc pipes in my trenches from under the house, one ending low in the room, one high in the room. Under the house one will be sources from one end, the other from further away. Will put a slow 4" fan on the lower one to circulate air from under the house. Under the house is rocked in, spray foamed and has a 12 mil vapor barrier and I run a dehumidifier down there. Summer temps under there are in the 70's and 50's in the winter. Volume wise is about 7200 cubic feet of air to circulate. I think that should work for helping keep the solar room a decent temp during the seasons with the spray foam insulation.

Construction of the solar shack will be pole barn style like everything else on my place I've built with 4x4 posts.

Does a 6' by 10' room sound big enough? with a 6' by 4' pad for the generator on the side. Will have a 3' insulated steel entry door on one side for entrance.

Here are the phases I plan on implementing as I build things out.

Phase 1
53138054435_3147e525a9_z.jpg

Phase 2
53138121543_8ee7491228_c.jpg

Phase 3
53138054440_7ac1b12f32_c.jpg

Back