diy solar

diy solar

Need some advice on schnieder 100 600charge controller and panel array setup

cha09

Hi everyone, I'm new here, been browsing around and came up on this site and decided to register as I'm a bit confused on my recent home setup, I had been using 2 hybrid inverters(powmr) and have changed to schnieder xw pro, inverter runs everything, what I'm puzzled about is the panel array, I have 22 panels, each 575watts, 11 in series for 1 string, 1 is 49v open circuit voltage 46v closed, so 11 is 506v @12amps, what I have noticed is that after adding both strings together in parallel and connect it to the schnieder 100 600 charge controller, when I log in to the insight facility I'm getting a max of 5.6kw in to the charge, I have 12.6watts of panel, I know it wouldn't be 100% match but I. Thinking there should be more especially in full sun when the panels have direct sunlight, is it a case where I need another charge controller? Could someone share some insight, thanks

Um, the 100 in the product name is the 100 amp output of the solar charge controller.

So, it maxes out at something like 60v * 100a = 6kW. At 56 volts it will do 5.6kw.
It seems like your at the point where each string could fill out it's own 100a charge controller.

Thank you very much for that reply, if I understand you correctly, I could just put 11 panels (1string) on the 1 controller and put the other 11 on the other controller (which I would buy) in which I would charge much faster, as 1 array is 6.3kw which is max to 1 controller

Sizing one of these out, there are a few limits to stay within and be aware of.
(Note that the following specifications are only for the Schneider MPPT 100 600, as the 80 Amp model has the same MPPT Voltages but lower current limits.)

- PV Array MPPT Voltage Range: 195-510 Volts. Use the cumulative voltage of the panel's rating for "Vmp" (Maximum Power Voltage) and multiply by the number in series. This number will be about where your MPPT finds optimal power output, and it needs to be within that 195-510 range. These MPPT really need more than 240V to reach full power.
- PV Array Maximum Operating Voltage: 550 Volts. You will find the rating of these charge controllers up to 600V for open circuit, however this will produce a PV Overvolt shutdown if it gets there. Use the "Voc" (Open Circuit Voltage) rating of your panels multiplied by the number in series, and keep that under the 550V rating.
- Maximum Input Operating Current: 29 Amps. This is the maximum amount of current the MPPT can utilize from your strings. To determine maximum useability for this limit, multiply your panel's "Imp" (Maximum Power Current) by the number of parallel strings connected, and that number needs to be under 29.
- Maximum Array Short Circuit Current at STC: 35 Amps. This is the maximum amount of short-circuit current the MPPT can handle safely. To determine this one, multiply your panel's "Isc" (Short Circuit Current) by the number of parallel strings connected, and that number needs to be under 35.
- Maximum Output Charge Current: 100 Amps. This is the maximum amount of current the MPPT can push into your DC bus, regardless of DC bus voltage. As the voltage fluctuates up and down with your State of Charge, so do the maximum output Wattage of the MPPT. For example, your batteries at 48V = 4800 Watts maximum, but at 58V = 5800 Watts. You will see the specs list 6kW maximum, but that is only possible at a battery voltage of 60V, so it's your bus voltage that actually determines what that 100 Amp limit equals in kilowatts. Also, the maximum efficiency of the MPPT is 95%, so you can factor that 5% loss into maximizing the panels.

These controllers allow more wattage worth of panel to be connected than it can actually use, but only as long as none of those limits are exceeded. Over-spec'ing the total panel wattage allows for more output output under the daily production curve than just using peaks for sizing.

Last edited:
To go with the info JBerkok requested, where about are you? More importantly what's the coldest it gets there?
Without knowing that, you're too close to the max voltage for my comfort.

Thank you very much for that reply, if I understand you correctly, I could just put 11 panels (1string) on the 1 controller and put the other 11 on the other controller (which I would buy) in which I would charge much faster,
Simply, yes but see the other comments to make sure you don't need to do more mat
as 1 array is 6.3kw which is max to 1 controller
Remember that you'll never get the full rated output of your panels. Those ratings are in lab conditions. Average output is 70-80% of that. So 6.3 kw will probably leave some capacity in the charge controller.

Based on your posted data:
Voc = 49V x 11 = 539V which is less than the 550V limit - good.
Vmp = 46V x 11 = 506V which is less than the 510V limit - good.
Calculated the Imp to be 12.5A which is less than the 29A limit - good.
Isc is probably around 13.4A is plenty safe for the 35A limit - good.

6325 rated watts worth of panels with the 95% efficiency of the MPPT, you're probably looking at 5kW per string of 11 panels.

Fortunate it's 11 and not 12. 12 would exceed voltage limits and it looks like someone (you?) knew that before purchase. ?

The next question, can both strings be SAFELY connected to the MPPT 100 600 in parallel? Imp doubles to 25A, which is still less than the 29A limit. And, Isc doubles to 26.8 which is below the 35A limit - also safe for the MPPT 100 600. Yes. It leaves a lot of output unutilized, but yes you *can* do that until another charger is installed, and it will definitely increase your overall production to connect the second string up for now.

I do a similar thing with overprovisioning my MPPT 60 150 charge controllers (4). Each has 4680W worth of PV (3S x 6P) attached despite the best case output for a single MPPT being 3500W @ 58.8V*59.9A, or 3390W @ 56.6V*59.9A in the screenshot below. They all work just fine and the small amount of production clipped from the top of the curve when they hit and hold against the output max for about an hour each day isn't much.
1694771656105.png

Last edited:
You guys in this forum are awesome, I'll be getting another controller shortly, I think I'm now understanding how this is calculated, and yes I did know about the power for the strings but just wasn't sure why it wasn't passing the 5.6kw output, I'll definitely make some changes to see the results, have 4ac units which I would like to run during the days, days are HOT lol, so I want to be able to charge fast enough during the daytime

Back