diy solar

diy solar

New 48v System, need help <3

icarusdives

Kinda jumped into this and need some guidance, as I'm lost from all the info I've seen on the the web. And I have a local guy here who helped me grab my main components, but now I'm not so sure because he said I could run 12awg wire from the battery to the controller and according the the math that doesn't seem right....

I have:

(4)450w "KB" Bifacial Panels
(1)60a Charge Controller
(1)3000w 48V Inverter

Below is the diagram of what I think I need according to what I've learned so far. The first issue I've ran into is the 6awg wire to connect the batteries to the controller does not fit into the controller. Really just want some others to take a look as I'm more confused than I was before.

Panel details:
Screenshot 2024-04-07 1207381.png
Screenshot 2024-04-06 1707589.png

Agree with the above ⬆️

Although your current setup won’t likely generate more than 40A at normal charging voltages for a 48V nominal battery I wouldn’t step down in wire and fuse size in case you or someone else add panels in the future. And you typically want 25% headroom as well.

Last edited:
Your friend probably meant 12 AWG panels to controller.

I can see a 40 amp controller being sized for 8 AWG max battery to controller.

Also, a many stranded 6 AWG wire may fit easier than a 6 AWG 5 strand wire.

I have a 50 amp SCC I wanted to over size the wire to compensate for a long run for voltage loss but was unable to.

There are “reducers” you can crimp onto the end of a wire to get it to fit. With these reducers, I would not want a round reducer in a square hole.

IMG_1573.jpeg

That controller is designed to use more than one wire so it can handle the current, at least that's what I understood when I considered it a year or so ago.
What do you mean by designed to use more than one wire? So would I put two wires for positive and 2 for negative?

Yes. It's not ideal but it will work. Major concern being if one wire were to fail you'll be overloading the other.
At this point for failure and current over a single strand, I'd consider 90 C rated 8 AWG wire capable of 55 amps, but that does not mean the MPPT is rated for 90C.

Back