diy solar

diy solar

New here, planning a few projects

Zaustin

Hi Folks -

I'm looking forward to interacting / contributing on this forum as my projects progress! I'm undertaking a solar/battery/electrical/heating/insulation upgrade on my Winnebago Class B Motorhome/Van (ERA 170X 4x4), which is equipped with 2x 100Ah AGM batteries. A few challenges I'll be tackling:

1) The batteries are mounted in a somewhat exposed location underneath the chassis behind the rear wheels. I'm leaning toward going with SOK 206Ah batteries, but they won't fit my existing battery trays, so I'm looking into building new battery trays with 80/20.
2) The van does not currently have an inverter (just a converter/charger and a separate transfer switch). Current wiring does not adequately support what's needed for inverter (run is very long, gauge is too small), and the A/C and D/C systems are located in separate compartments from one/another. I'm hoping to find a solution to these problems that does not involve a wholesale rewiring.

-Zach

WELCOME. Sounds like a fun project with a few challenges involved. Well, you came to the right place :)

I know this forum has proven to provide a wealth of information for me... Even though I've considered myself highly technical across a broad arena for years and years, I've learned a ton of new information this last year (and here, more recently), as I've been delving into this world of alternative energy production more and more.

I have an off-grid home project coming up, and RV work I've been doing, so I have been learning a lot in regards to both of these areas. I am getting very close to assembling 2 big projects, and all those uncertainties I once had about certain aspects of the project, are now very clear to me how I will execute on.

Anyways, great luck to ya as you embark on your project...

Hi Folks -

I'm looking forward to interacting / contributing on this forum as my projects progress! I'm undertaking a solar/battery/electrical/heating/insulation upgrade on my Winnebago Class B Motorhome/Van (ERA 170X 4x4), which is equipped with 2x 100Ah AGM batteries. A few challenges I'll be tackling:

1) The batteries are mounted in a somewhat exposed location underneath the chassis behind the rear wheels. I'm leaning toward going with SOK 206Ah batteries, but they won't fit my existing battery trays, so I'm looking into building new battery trays with 80/20.
2) The van does not currently have an inverter (just a converter/charger and a separate transfer switch). Current wiring does not adequately support what's needed for inverter (run is very long, gauge is too small), and the A/C and D/C systems are located in separate compartments from one/another. I'm hoping to find a solution to these problems that does not involve a wholesale rewiring.

-Zach
Hi Zach - interested in your experience with upgrading the Era. What did you do for an inverter and where did you end up putting it?

Back