diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about your peak usage?
I have a new freezer that is very energy efficient, only 0.55 kWh a day but has 1000 watts peaks when it switches on. The inverter has to provide those peaks as well. 4 freezers would be 4000 watts . On top of 8k you are already maxing out the 12k of the inverter
The point here is that you are well under 100A at peak load. At 8kW you are only using 33A. You would have to peak at 24kW to hit 100A and 48kW to hit 200A. This is all great news for you. All you need to do is the simplest installation. Mount the invert next to your main load center and connect as I said above. You don't need a breaker because your meter already has a 200A breaker in it. Your main load center already has a breaker in it too. So that allows you to disconnect your home from the inverter and your inverter from the grid. Since everything is on the wall and nothing is in the wall, the job of connecting the inverter in between the meter and the main load center should be easy. You just need to redirect your existing wire from the main load center to the inverter and then route from the inverter to where the current wire comes into the main load center at the main breaker. Again no need for any breakers. That will give you 200A pass-through to your house through the inverter, and will give you 50A from the inverter as backup power when the grid fails. You can connect your PV sources however you like as well since it is all exposed and looks easy to work with. In addition, if you later desire to add a bypass switch, that is easy too. You just add things as I mentioned. But if that is too expensive, you can just keep a spare SER cable around to bypass the inverter if you need to. If I were in your situation, I would just buy another inverter. It would be less expensive than the bypass. You could either use it as a spare for an emergency, or put it on the wall in parallel with the first one. Then if one fails you still have 50A (12kW of backup power to keep you going until you decide how you want to fix it. The second inverter would be optional for now and you can buy it later if you decide you want it. This is all straightforward.

What if he has the inverter off line for some reason and grid disappears. he switches on the inverter thinking it will power the house and all loads have inrush current at the same time.
Yeah: probability from happening: very small.
And any technical person would shut off some breakers and gradually turn those back on after the inverter has started to spread the peak load.
But is everyone that technically inclined ? And he said he was learning, so I wanted to give some extra information that he might have to consider.

Yep, probably will. 16kW at 51 volts = 314 amps. so he would need at least 25+kWh of battery storage to stay under 1C discharge.

So many factors ....
You're totally right. The solution here is for Archcpj to become more technical. He should be able to manage this system once he has his head around it. He can always put a note on the load center explaining that you must turn off all heavy loads before starting the inverter and label the specific breakers so that he and others know what to do. In the event of power loss, no one better think they can run 200A. He will have to conserve based on how much he decides to spend.

I was super surprised at my installer on Friday. He was getting ready to turn on the inverter and every single breaker was on, including my AC, Central Heat, Water Heater, Fridge, Freezer, etc. I started shutting off the big 240v appliance breakers and he actually told me that wasn't necessary. I told him I just never do an initial turn on when I know that the first thing it's going to do is to power up all of the on demand motors/loads in the house. Blew me away he is a professional and was actually arguing with me about it.
so much for "pro" right ? and that goes for "inspector" too

so much for "pro" right ? and that goes for "inspector" too
That is so true. I had an inspector ask me so what is this? I had to explain the system to him and he said oh well does it work and do you like it? I told him yes to both and he signed-off the inspection. Didn't look at the ground mounted solar array, the wiring, the breakers, the panels or anything. He just stood there like an idiot.

That is so true. I had an inspector ask me so what is this? I had to explain the system to him and he said oh well does it work and do you like it? I told him yes to both and he signed-off the inspection. Didn't look at the ground mounted solar array, the wiring, the breakers, the panels or anything. He just stood there like an idiot.
My inspector was on the roof with me and started talking politics, absolutely the opposite of my believes. I just acknowledged , nodded and it was one of the worst times standing there, knowing i had to go through this in order to get my permit approved.
Oh well..

During outage the relay is open, the inverter is at that point not connected to the grid so it can not export.
I am using this picture I found in a sol-ark thread but the concept is the same for this hybrid inverter:
View attachment 117491
I just want to verify something. Was that drawing made Sol-Ark? I think I remember that it was made by a member of the forum based on how he thought the system worked. I am just worried about it becoming a reference document if it was not one from Sol-Ark originally.

I just want to verify something. Was that drawing made Sol-Ark? I think I remember that it was made by a member of the forum based on how he thought the system worked. I am just worried about it becoming a reference document if it was not one from Sol-Ark originally.
It was absolutely not from SA but indeed from a member of this forum

I put a disclaimer under that drawing in that posting.

Last edited:
Just we are still not seeing the full picture, just 3 lines out of conversation that easily could be taken out of context,
I took the liberty to ask LuxPower directly if the units currently are able to be installed in parallel.
Will followup with the complete response when I get it.
Any reply from them yet? On a similar note, I don't like the fact that inverter manufacturers are starting to use the "video game model" where they claim certain specs for their inverter, but when the product is released it's no where to be found...and they start telling you it will be added via update. How about complete the product with all the listed specs first and then release it. Yes bugs are going to be found. If its an electronic product, no matter how well the engineers do, there will be bugs. But you work out bugs after the product is released, not actual full blown features. It's completely ridiculous.

Any reply from them yet? On a similar note, I don't like the fact that inverter manufacturers are starting to use the "video game model" where they claim certain specs for their inverter, but when the product is released it's no where to be found...and they start telling you it will be added via update. How about complete the product with all the listed specs first and then release it. Yes bugs are going to be found. If its an electronic product, no matter how well the engineers do, there will be bugs. But you work out bugs after the product is released, not actual full blown features. It's completely ridiculous.
Yes kind of disappointing. Its the make money while you implement model. When they get nearly done they will start over on another model. Schneider doesn't seem to do this though. They take a decade to get it done and then sell it for two decades. It takes them forever to add anything new.:cautious:

Any reply from them yet?
In a weekend? ;-)
Please a little bit more patience
On a similar note, I don't like the fact that inverter manufacturers are starting to use the "video game model" where they claim certain specs for their inverter, but when the product is released it's no where to be found...and they start telling you it will be added via update. How about complete the product with all the listed specs first and then release it. Yes bugs are going to be found. If its an electronic product, no matter how well the engineers do, there will be bugs. But you work out bugs after the product is released, not actual full blown features. It's completely ridiculous.
Only one person who made that suggestion yet. I am not saying he isn't right, but we don't have much evidence/context to believe that is happening. The fact this inverter has a complete diagram how to connect inverters in parallel tells me they must have tested that already.

In a weekend? ;-)
Please a little bit more patience

Only one person who made that suggestion yet. I am not saying he isn't right, but we don't have much evidence/context to believe that is happening. The fact this inverter has a complete diagram how to connect inverters in parallel tells me they must have tested that already.
Sorry fromport. I didn't mean that as a complaint against what you said. I was only trying to support the idea that the inverter certainly knows how to disconnect from the grid if the grid goes down.

Edit: Sorry I got confused and that's easy for me. Not sure what I was apologizing for. I tend to speak when not spoken to. :giggle:

Last edited:
On another note, the user manual diagram on parallel connections shows how they would do an inverter bypass. Its the same as the diagram I provided earlier except that they are supporting multiple inverters and that complicates it a little more. They feed the meter into a single panel. Then each inverter is connected to the panel through dedicated breakers. The inverter's outputs all go to another panel where they are consolidated (this step isn't required with only one inverter, instead the inverter output is connected directly to the bypass switch). That panel then feeds into a manual double-pole double-throw bypass switch. The switch then connects to the main panel. So that question should be settled.

<....>I don't like the fact that inverter manufacturers are starting to use the "video game model" where they claim certain specs for their inverter, but when the product is released it's no where to be found...and they start telling you it will be added via update. How about complete the product with all the listed specs first and then release it. Yes bugs are going to be found. If its an electronic product, no matter how well the engineers do, there will be bugs. But you work out bugs after the product is released, not actual full blown features. It's completely ridiculous.
It is super frustrating. When I bought the 8kw hybrid inverter from GSL I also bought 4 of their lithium powerwall batteries. When I hooked up the inverter, it wouldn't recognize the GSL batteries and I had to wait forever, it seems, for a firmware update so that the "supposed" GSL inverter would work with the GSL batteries.

It is super frustrating. When I bought the 8kw hybrid inverter from GSL I also bought 4 of their lithium powerwall batteries. When I hooked up the inverter, it wouldn't recognize the GSL batteries and I had to wait forever, it seems, for a firmware update so that the "supposed" GSL inverter would work with the GSL batteries.
Did you get one of those for the batteries? I’m trying to get info on those:

Are they the same as the EnergeTech battery that Will reviewed?

Last edited:
Yes, I got the 10kwh ones, without bluetooth, with rollers on the bottom. UL Listed. I didn't know that you had to specifically request Bluetooth. That was the only disappointment with them. So, to get to the BMS app, you have to hook up to each battery independently with a RS485 cable to USB cable to your computer and then install the software on the computer.
I'll have to look at the ones will reviewed. I don't know if they're the same. Is the review on Youtube or here?
This is the video I was referring to:

I didn’t know about the Bluetooth and wheels being options. I was kinda concerned about having to carry that beast in two sets of stair. Almost need to have one of those movers dolly things for moving heavy appliances.

Last edited:
This is the video I was referring to:

I didn’t know about the Bluetooth as wheels being options. I was kinda concerned about having to carry that beast in two sets of stair. Almost need to have one of those movers dolly things for moving heavy appliances.
Yeah, I think they're the same except with different connectors on the top. I've had zero issues with them. My only regret is not understanding I had to ask for Bluetooth. It's a pain to not be able to see the batteries on my phone/computer and have to go back and query them individually. Because none of the inverter software that I've used so far will give you info about individual batteries. the software that you can install on your computer is old, old, old. But, it does get the job done, although there are some places that are not translated to English, which is frustrating. I typically copy and paste the Chinese characters into a translator if I need to understand exactly what it says. For instance, many of the Cancel, Continue buttons are in Chinese characters and not always in the same order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back