diy solar

diy solar

New slim 100 watt panel from Windy Nation

The two that I ordered are due Friday. I'll report on what I think when they arrive.

These are not flexible panels.
They are glass ridgid panels, only thing is the aluminum frame is 3/4" instead of 1.25"
And they are less expensive than the full size panels.
Ah ok copy that, bad on me for not opening that initial link. I made an assumption from the description. I mean... yeah I'd totally run those.

The two that I ordered are due Friday. I'll report on what I think when they arrive.
Nice man! Let us know. Those look decent for the price. Keep an airspace underneath and I think they will last for a bit.

Mine arrived today.
Minimal packaging. We have a tropical storm/hurricane pounding our coast, so sunlight is going to be at a premium for the next few days... I will inbox them and tinker over the next few days... but no way to get any capacity tests for now...

Got mine too. I agree minimal packaging but no damage that I can see. Since I am a noobie at this I will look forward to your capacity tests. I am in NW Montana so sun profile will be quite different I would guess. My intent is to install them on my fiberglass roof pull trailer using 3M VHB tape holding the Z brackets and feeding a Giandel inverter that has a built in 20 amp PWM controller. Wondering if I should have invested in tilting mounting brackets instead of the Z ones I bought off of Amazon. As of now the inverter is being fed by WalMart's largest deep cycle/marine battery but really would like to get a Battleborn 100AH LiFePh. I am enjoying/coveting all the advice/info here on Will's forum. Thanks to all!

So, just to confirm, these slimmer panels would be fine for a backyard ground mount or mounted to a roof rack on a small trailer?

Ok, I just got all 3 out of the boxes.
The frame is just under 3/4” about 16mm thick.
the packaging isTHIN, but adequate for protection.
The panels are surrounded by strips of cardboard, and on two of them, there was additional cardboard protecting the glass, and the wiring sides... one box neglected the glass side additional cardboard... but it was undamaged. Whew!
they are smaller than I expected. About 39.5” (100cm) tall, and 26.5” (67cm) wide...

One of them, the diode pack cover isn’t set right, I’ll try and reseat it...image.jpg
Melted plastic from soldering in the wiring trough the cover I guess... I’ll have to trim off the melted area to get the cover to fit...

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• 20200518_225042.jpg
    20200518_225042.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200518_224834.jpg
    20200518_224834.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200518_224734.jpg
    20200518_224734.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200518_224713.jpg
    20200518_224713.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200518_224623.jpg
    20200518_224623.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200518_224605.jpg
    20200518_224605.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200518_224531.jpg
    20200518_224531.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200518_224510.jpg
    20200518_224510.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200518_224431.jpg
    20200518_224431.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200518_224418.jpg
    20200518_224418.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 57
Actually, I was considering a flexible or even a folding panel, but the thin version of the Windynation appeals to me since my recently purchased 150 watt Dokio 38x38 is 25lbs too heavy for regular daily moving around in/out the minivan.

So, I decided to order one from Homedepot, currently at $73.99 and in-store pickup. I can more easily pick it up and move it around in different places such as in front of my inside windshield area or hung on the outside of my minivan while at the park--to charge my cell phone and iPod Touch, etc.

question: The panel has the MC4 connector wires, but my Renogy Wonderer scc (PWM) does does not have connections for those wires. Are these ok for this solar panel and scc? I will order them right away if they are. Thanks.

Last edited:
My experience with the Windaynation 100 watt poly thin panel so far.

I received my panel a few days ago. With the weather being so hot here in NY (85-89) I had no energy to unbox nor test. Anyway. I finally unboxed the panel today while at the park and did notice some damage around the edges of the frame, and also the cells look scratched but i'm not sure, and the MC4 connector latch broke off, and last, the panel was coming unglued or uncaulked along the edge. I put my Radioshack Cat No. 2200087 digital voltmeter to the panels leads and noticed 20+ volts but the amps where 16.1 mA or less. I could not get even a single Amp out of it. The weather was sunny although it was past 5:30pm or so. I'm a bit disappointed so far. I should have stuck with my original plan to get the Dokio 200 watt foldable.

Note: This purchase was an in-store pickup at Homedepot.

With the weather being so hot here in NY (85-89) I had no energy to unbox nor test.

I could not get even a single Amp out of it.

I should have stuck with my original plan to get the Dokio 200 watt foldable.

It was 104 here today ... you guys up north need to man up ...

If its reading voltage - and your saying its peeling back - and your getting ZERO amps -- going to say a trip to the Return Line at Home Depot is in your near future

FOLDING solar cells should be avoided UNLESS you have a reason ... folding solar cells just don't have that longevity factor

Yes updates please. I may replace the HQST on my golf cart only because they are much lighter to manually raise. Plus the existing roof structure was never intended to support that much weight.

I will then use the existing HQST as a portable rack to supplement the Windaynation during cloudy grid-down days. Or maybe make an interesting patio table?

cart.jpg

Yes updates please. I may replace the HQST on my golf cart only because they are much lighter to manually raise. Plus the existing roof structure was never intended to support that much weight.

I will then use the existing HQST as a portable rack to supplement the Windaynation during cloudy grid-down days. Or maybe make an interesting patio table?

View attachment 20802
Boomer vehicle powered by Millennial technology. :cool:

View attachment 20802
Ok.
Summer work is slowing and the holiday weekend gave me some time, so I mounted a pair on my suburban, and plan to get the third one up soon... then I can stick my MSB SCC in the truck, and see what wattage I can get in my parking lot...

stay tuned!

Fwiw, I bought one delivered from Home Depot for $69. I don't have any technical issues, but since it doesn't match the form factor of any of my other 100 Watt panels, I can't insert it into any of my existing installations.

Back