diy solar

diy solar

New Tariffs in the States

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Staff member
It certainly seems to be the end of Cheap Cells & Tech from China for the US. What & How others will react & the fallout effect we DIY types will likely be unpleasant. The other shoe to drop, is what will China do to counter it... and what will that cost us poor shmucks too ?

When & How bad it will be, will likely be announced soon enough. My thought, is GET WHAT YOU CAN NOW !

how soon do people suspect this will effect products which are already in the USA? Or will it only effect products brought into the USA from now on? We are hoping to buy 16 cells plus 2 BMS from the states...

Tariffs are paid on entry, so anything sitting in a US warehouse won’t cost any more.
The INSTANT a tarrif is set, ALL battery/solar will reflect the price change.

If EVERYBODY stopped buying anything after the tarrif takes effect, a message would be sent...
But if government requires solar on new construction, demand will compensate for the increase...
China will likely cease exporting to usa in that case...
Till next election vetos it.

Both those articles only mention EVs. Any links to the solar stuff?

First line in the second article:

"The US government is reportedly set to announce wider tariffs on several categories of Chinese goods, including various green products like solar panels and batteries, medical goods, ..."

Another source:

and

The lead-up:

Although tariff's are not retrospective companies with stock have to replace that stock when its sold and then pay the tariff. Its up to the supplier but they have to take into account the tariff may end abruptly. So its sensible to increase prices immediately and put the excess into a reserve pot to cover any loss if the tariff disappears and they have stock they paid that tariff on and have to drop the price.

I predict prices on Q Cells 475/480/485's will remain pretty stable at $.40 a watt. The market for them was irrational and all over the place, I suspect because small-medium commercial solar farms were gobbling them up at whatever the real going rate was, leaving only scraps to fall on retail. Now when the tariffs hit, the commercial buyers might dry up cause they saw this coming years ago and that's why they loaded up and then maybe containers of them start getting dumped on retail and we find out they were selling to commercial for $.30 so they can still do $.40 to us.

I also predict 400w monos get the price bump instead despite seeming to be the least effected by the changes, just because they're the primary commodity and the actual target that the federal government is trying to onshore the production of.

The US already pretty much has the highest solar prices in the world by a considerable margin, all this will do is slow its uptake further (and increase greenhouse gases- not a good thing for the future generations)

All because the US has trained its population over generations that they 'need' an enemy to fight...

Sad...

:cry:

The latest information on Credible News Sites is that on May 21, Tuesday, the official details will be released.
YES, Battery Cells, Solar Tech (Panels & related hardware) will all get Massive Duty increases, up to 100% on several items.
This WILL have severe effects on US Companies using Chinese "Components" & Equipment or those having products made i China as well. You know those great new Midnite Solar products in the AIO & DIY Series, well guess what ! THEY aren't the only future victims of it.

Because it is a Duty, it could be implemented on fairly short notice. This could even affect products that are "In process of Shipment" and so some of our Good People may get a call to pay for the duties to have packages released... AND NO - DDP ETC WILL NOT COVER THAT !

Worst part: China will Counter it with something - Of Course, it will NOT be good for the average Joe & Jane Citizen's pocket book.
If they put export duties on all food products for example (a huge amount comes from there - ingredients etc included) or any number of things could be seriously paiful.

Seems like there will be new tariffs on solar panels and batteries (and EVs, semiconductors and medical supplies) from China coming to the States.
Are not the democracts supposed to be in favor of evs, solar and wind, clean energy stuff?
Maybe they need to come up with something to collect another 100 billion to fuel wars...

I guess until we know what the impact will be on pricing (and how long it’ll take to spin up domestic production) of the components we typically use it’s all a guessing game. We’ll know more Tuesday.

One side effect will be the "components" segment which is chips, processors and such. Products that are "Assembled In *******" use parts from Global Sources including China... Guess what, most electronics have some parts from China within.

Full Details will become available May 21st, then a couple of days for it to be torn apart & fully understood as to what the harm level will be.
I also expect that China WILL react quickly, probably within 1 week of the official declarations. Most people have no real idea of what the world uses that is made/processed in China. Even apples from Washington State are processed into sauce in China because it's been cheaper.... So Much, so many have no idea about.

Let's keep politics out of this discussion please - focus on the potential impacts, prices, etc.
Yeah all the stuff going on makes my blood pressure go up.
Didnt they found a gigantic lithium deposit in California last year?

That could be good news for battery prices in the us if they could set up domestic production.

Yeah all the stuff going on makes my blood pressure go up.
Didnt they found a gigantic lithium deposit in California last year?

That could be good news for battery prices in the us if they could set up domestic production.
That's less than half the size of the deposit being mined in the Northern Territory here, and the NT mine is only one of 9 currently in operation in Australia, with all the rest currently in Western Australia (most of which are bigger than the new NT mine, which has only been in operation a few years)
Although there are known deposits in Qld, SA, NSW and Victoria, as well as more in the NT and WA that aren't being actively mined...
1715425581303.png

Australia currently exports half of the worlds lithium used from its mines (54% of the worlds lithium comes from Australia...)
The existing Pilbarra Minerals refining plant is currently upgrading its capacity (will increase from 680000 tonnes a year to 1000000 tonnes a year by March next year) thats fed from just 3 mines in the Pilbarra region
The new California reserves would be depleted in less than 20 years at that rate...

Back