diy solar

diy solar

Newbie looking for help with 18650 System (UK Based) - Willing to Pay a system builder.

Stageshoot

Hi

New to Battery storage, we do currently have an EV but no solar or storage.

I have been given 500 brand New 18650 2500Mah batteries (50 Holders with 10 Batteries in each) Wired Dual 10s1p or 5s2p

They are not system pulls etc but brand new overstocks that didnt make it into the final product

I am hoping to use them in some sort of small (4Kw ish) Powerwall that can run the house baseload when we are out during the day and charge overnight on our Off Peak. (We use our EV6 to power the house when we are home normally - Car has 3500w 240AC Output and a 77Kwh Battery) So this small pack would be just really to take off the 3 or 4Kw baseload when we are out each day.

I really dont have any experience so am hoping to find a UK DIY system builder I can pay to build a system with the Cells I have, Any Ideas?.

Hoping the cells can be used in the holders they are in to save having to strip down but open to any ideas

This is one of the 50 packs of cells we have (They are all identical brand and size)

IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

You need to follow this guy on YouTube

You'll want to build those batteries into packs say a 7s70p that would take 490 batteries

You can download this app to help you know the capacity of the battery you build.

Attachments

• Resized_SmartSelect_20220605-191507_Battery_Package_Calculator_1154819694066292.jpeg
    Resized_SmartSelect_20220605-191507_Battery_Package_Calculator_1154819694066292.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 11
The fact that they are in tool packs tells me that they likely have a discharge rate of 15A or higher. The packs seem to be well made and "should" support a discharge rate beyond the typical 0.5C rate powerwall builders limit themselves to when using laptop cells that are the human equivalent of an 84 year old man with heat disease, a history of strokes, and requires oxygen 24/7.
Still....most would advise keeping NCM/NCA/etc in a building separate from the one you sleep in. Unless your energy rates are extremely high during peak I can't see the 500 or 1,000 cycles you get out of these adding up to an amount that makes such an application worthwhile. If you could save 25 cents per kwh hour by charging them at night that's $1 max per cycle. A realistic number where I live would be 10 cents and 3kwh usable so 30 cents for say 750 cycles so $225 in savings....vs your cost/time to make the cells integrated into your system.
I think these would be better suited to a DIY high discharge battery paired up with a 3,000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. 10S is 36V right on the nuts so a 36V Reliable Inverter that can empty your 36V battery in an hour will give the cells good cycle life since they are likely 5C cells and you'll be able to run them from 3.0 to 4.0 and still get 3.2'ish kwh usable to cover the inefficiencies. The Inverter would cost $350 and the charger (adjustable say 10A) would run you $60 if you used something like the Drok Adjustable Voltage Current 480W PSU (0-48V 0-10A)

Hi

New to Battery storage, we do currently have an EV but no solar or storage.

I have been given 500 brand New 18650 2500Mah batteries (50 Holders with 10 Batteries in each) Wired Dual 10s1p or 5s2p

They are not system pulls etc but brand new overstocks that didnt make it into the final product

I am hoping to use them in some sort of small (4Kw ish) Powerwall that can run the house baseload when we are out during the day and charge overnight on our Off Peak. (We use our EV6 to power the house when we are home normally - Car has 3500w 240AC Output and a 77Kwh Battery) So this small pack would be just really to take off the 3 or 4Kw baseload when we are out each day.

I really dont have any experience so am hoping to find a UK DIY system builder I can pay to build a system with the Cells I have, Any Ideas?.

Hoping the cells can be used in the holders they are in to save having to strip down but open to any ideas

This is one of the 50 packs of cells we have (They are all identical brand and size)

View attachment 97171
View attachment 97172
View attachment 97173
View attachment 97175
How did you get on?

Back