diy solar

diy solar

Noob from Las Vegas ~ NV ~ Love DIY

AresROC

I have a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) with Solar City, and thanks to NV Energy's new TOU, my panels are about to become useless!

Looking to build a 5K ~ 15K "PowerWall" with Hybrid Split phase inverters to power my central AC (5+3 ton) for 3 hours.

Would it make sense? I am about to find out! In any case I think it will be a fun project. ^_^

I have a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) with Solar City, and thanks to NV Energy's new TOU, my panels are about to become useless!

Looking to build a 5K ~ 15K "PowerWall" with Hybrid Split phase inverters to power my central AC (5+3 ton) for 3 hours.

Would it make sense? I am about to find out! In any case I think it will be a fun project. ^_^

Probably won't do it. Compressor surge is MASSIVE UNLESS you have the really high SEER models (17+) with "inverter" compressors.

Look for the LRA rating of your A/C units. Multiply that by 240V. That's how much power your inverter will have to deliver at startup.

Probably also worth measuring the actual run current.

Probably won't do it. Compressor surge is MASSIVE UNLESS you have the really high SEER models (17+) with "inverter" compressors.

Look for the LRA rating of your A/C units. Multiply that by 240V. That's how much power your inverter will have to deliver at startup.

Probably also worth measuring the actual run current.
Welp, I have a grid tie system and I am looking at PowMr Split inverters that can do 10k watt. My AC is 4+3 ton and sadly house was build in 2005 so I got the 10 SEER model :(. LRA is 110 for 4 ton and 82 for the 3 ton, so that is 26.4k + 19.7k watt = 46k Watt! I am not looking for continuous operation for 3 hours and am thinking the PowMr inverters will simply supplement the grid usage after startup. Thanks that was fast I learned something already! :D

Welp, I have a grid tie system and I am looking at PowMr Split inverters that can do 10k watt. My AC is 4+3 ton and sadly house was build in 2005 so I got the 10 SEER model :(. LRA is 110 for 4 ton and 82 for the 3 ton, so that is 26.4k + 19.7k watt = 46k Watt! I am not looking for continuous operation for 3 hours and am thinking the PowMr inverters will simply supplement the grid usage after startup. Thanks that was fast I learned something already! :D

Ah... so you're connecting them "behind" the units, i.e., they will only run when the compressor circuit is active? I've contemplated this myself, and other folks do it I believe.

You also might be able to get away with a pure 230V unit that can operate at 240V/60Hz (almost all 230/50Hz units can be set for 240/60Hz). The PowMr line seems to be MUCH cheaper for their 230V units.

Back