diy solar

diy solar

Off grid cabin above 8k

Haze

Hi all,

Im a solar newbie and need help with what components I should buy to run just my wifi and security cameras in the winter. I would like to stick with either Victron or midnight solar…buy once cry once is my motto always.

Im Planning to buy one of the 12v silicate batteries off watts 24/7, I’d like help picking out the other components I would need to build a smaller solar system to run the Wi-Fi camera system.

Thanks everyone.

I'd go with a 24V system for a cabin. It will allow much greater future expansion. Not sure what you mean by "8k"? Does that mean you don't want to spend more then 8000$, or that it means the cabin is at 8000 feet above sea-level?

For a system exposed to winter cold, I'd say you are safer with a lead-acid battery instead of Li. Golf-carts are ~99$ at CostCo. You'd need four 6V golf-carts to make a 24V battery bank. At 24V, a less expensive MPPT controller like Epever's Tracer 4210AN (120$) could handle as much as 1000W of panels. I see high-voltage grid-tie panels on sale on Craigslist now for 250W/75$. You might get by with two panels (500W), but I'd rather have four. Since they are so cheap right now, your best bet is maxing out on panel wattage. It will benefit you the most in the dark days of winter.

You want a sine-wave inverter for quality electronics. Samlex makes a nice 2000W inverter that is UL listed, and has both NEMA sockets but can be hard-wired into an electrical panel.

What works out to be....
4 batteries: 400$
4 250W panels: 300$
40A charge controller: 120$ (Midnight200V 650$)
2000W SW inverter: 650$ (Schneider split-phase 120/240V 1800$)
wire, fuses, spit, ect: 130$
Total: 1600$

Throw in an extra 400$ for a modest gasoline generator, and for 2000$ you will have a reliable system that can supply at least 2.5kWh of power each and every day. 4000$ if you want higher-end components.

As the years go by you may want to expand for greater capacity. Switch out for larger batteries like Trojan L-16s. Maybe another 1000W of panels. You will end up with a system that can provide you with lights, TV, satellite internet, and a refrigerator.

What you're looking to build is similar to what I did. Solar for Internet, WiFi and a few security cameras. I built it so I could selectively turn off components to preserve power in the event the area has a large snow event or a long string of cloudy days that could potentially drain the pack completely. Mostly Victron components for the core. I am very happy with how it is performing.

Back