diy solar

diy solar

Offgrid LifePo4 1.2kwh system in Canada, limited to garage or outdoor office?

vulcan4d

I'm looking to build a small solar system for emergency offgrid power in BC, Canada. Nothing crazy to power the house but perhaps a portion during emergencies. At the moment I'm thinking 1.2kwh and perhaps it might grow a little but based on my readings you are limited to a 1kwh battery system in a dwelling and even then there are rules where it is placed. I do have a garage seperated from the home and also a heated outdoor 10x10 office and I'm wondering if it's just best and easier to just set this up there. I think I would prefer the outdoor office since it is heated, though I'm not sure if that is considered a dwelling since it's not part of the main residence. Any recommendations for my situation?

TBH, something of that size can be managed by any number of battery Systems similar to Bluetti and they have come a really long way in just that past year and the prices have come down a lot too... BUT there are several "questionable" out there, there are many good ones. BCHydro or others can't say NO to these ars they are portable and self-contained, most can take solar input as well.

One such example and right now they have a $500 discount if you pick it.

...... One such example and right now they have a $500 discount if you pick it.
Hmmmm? Weird and makes me suspicious of this manufacturer / seller, as more than once the description and specs says it uses a 4 stroke engine and or uses liquid petroleum fuel, which it doesn't.

Move on, run away and research for more realistic brands?

It is better to list the appliances energy use and length of time of use to get a clear picture of stored energy required and the specs of the stored energy unit. This is found on an appliance label as a Max or general energy need or more accurately with an inexpensive watt meter but some of which don't measure surge or Max loads of an appliance. Some appliances have high start up or surge loads and what if more than one start up at the same time? Can the inverter in whatever system handle that and more than once? So IMO, it is difficult to know what to suggest to fit your real needs. Also, I have 2.3 KW of panels and 10 KWhr of batteries in my house basement, where I have had my off grid energy systems for 20 years. Due to my remote rural location, I did not seek a permitted or insurable solution for several reasons, such as costs, changing and unrealistic expectations of both and no support services or regional support other than distant police or wildfire suppression, maybe. Anyway, I found 2+ KW of solar panels and 2+ KWhr of battery to be a minimum and in weeks of winter that isn't enough.

You don't mention your off grid situation re: system in a house?

Steve's suggestion of a portable type battery power unit could be a good enough small solution, but without an appliance energy use list, 1.2 KWhr seems small and expensive for what end gain?

I also suggest you read the beginner and other forums as questions like yours have been discussed many times already.

Last edited:
It is better to list the appliances energy use and length of time of use to get a clear picture of stored energy required and the specs of the stored energy unit. This is found on an appliance label as a Max or general energy need or more accurately with an inexpensive watt meter but some of which don't measure surge or Max loads of an appliance. Some appliances have high start up or surge loads and what if more than one start up at the same time? Can the inverter in whatever system handle that and more than once? So IMO, it is difficult to know what to suggest to fit your real needs. Also, I have 2.3 KW of panels and 10 KWhr of batteries in my house basement, where I have had my off grid energy systems for 20 years. Due to my remote rural location, I did not seek a permitted or insurable solution for several reasons, such as costs, changing and unrealistic expectations of both and no support services or regional support other than distant police or wildfire suppression, maybe. Anyway, I found 2+ KW of solar panels and 2+ KWhr of battery to be a minimum and in weeks of winter that isn't enough.

You don't mention your off grid situation re: system in a house?

Steve's suggestion of a portable type battery power unit could be a good enough small solution, but without an appliance energy use list, 1.2 KWhr seems small and expensive for what end gain?

I also suggest you read the beginner and other forums as questions like yours have been discussed many times already.
You have a good point. My system is just for emergencies only so perhaps a portable battery unit might be the better way to go even though these are usually more expensive. Still my goal is to be build a portable station to take and power a set number of appliances. If the system grows then I could tie it into the fuse box and disconnect from the grid during outages but even then that would require a much hefty system.

From what you describe, I have to agree with others that a portable power station (e.g., Bluetti) might be a good approach. Easy to tie into your existing home with a transfer switch, etc. A small generator would also do the same, and you just need fuel on hand.

That said, you also mentioned having a separate office. If you want to experiment with solar, that can be a great place to start. We power three small "shed" buildings (exercise room, lights in sauna, and my office) via solar and I've really enjoyed learning from that experience. It cost me many times what it would have cost to just run an AC line to those buildings (which I did anyway, for winter recharging!) but now we're planning another home that may be off grid, based on our good experience.

So, if you just want emergency backup, a portable power station is probably the best approach. abut if you want to take on a fun project (and are into "this kind of stuff"), I can't recommend solar highly enough.

Below are TWO High Quality well known brands and they currently have amazing deals... Ecoflow & Goal Zero are well established.
Various models will allow for additional packs to be added, solar panel input and much more. A few are even capable of charging an EV (ouch $) but others can provide 240V/30A.

YES ou can DIY something easily enough but the cot can ramp FAST, especially if you do not have all the tools like Hydraulic Crimpers, 2-3 decimal accurate DVOM/DMM and all the other goodies... it adds up FAST + you have to understand WHAT you are doing and that is a learning curve... Typically 1 year for the average person, 6 months if concentrating on learning "daily".

Back