diy solar

diy solar

Opinions - minimal yet fully capable Victron products

windtrader

Just wading into the Victron family of products and looking for opinions on select products to do the job. There are many paths that Victron has provied for system integrators over the years and to a newcomer it can be overwhelming to determine what configuration offers the optimal solution today.

My goal is to integrate solar panels via a Victron solar charge controller, the smartsolar 150/35 to manage a small string of panels. Connect that to the battery bank (no BMS) and to a Cerbo GX to report state of charge and charge/discharge info. A Multiplus 24/3000 is connected to the Cerbo GX.

I've used a MK3-USB to update firmware using VEConnect. Where this goes is hopefully to use the Cerbo GX as the primary interface to the other Victron devices, meaning monitoring, configuring, reporting, data collection and updating firmware.

Is it reasonable to direct all interaction to the Victron products via the Cerbo and plan on all the collected data is made available through the Cerbo for later reporting and also for all configurations? If that is the case, is there any need for the MK3-USB device to connect directly to the components?

Is it reasonable to direct all interaction to the Victron products via the Cerbo and plan on all the collected data is made available through the Cerbo for later reporting and also for all configurations? If that is the case, is there any need for the MK3-USB device to connect directly to the components?
If you hook the Cerbo up to the VRM, you can update firmware and modify the MultiPlus configuration (Remote VE Configure) from there, at least most of it. I thought I read somewhere that there might be a few things that you cannot modify outside of being directly connected to the inverter using the MK3-USB but I haven't come across anything yet (it might just be referring to creating split phase pairs and things like that).

1691810948084.png

Once I figured out I could do this instead of having to disconnect the Cerbo and connect the MK3-USB each time I needed to make a change, I've been using the Remote VE Configure.

The only thing you are missing is a Smartshunt to monitor how full or empty the batteries are (and some cables).

What kind of batteries do you have?

The MK3-Usb is an item I don’t use often. Originally to setup the Multiplus and occasionally (once a year or so) when I want to review my settings. Now (if I didn’t already have it) I would use the Cerbo to upload the settings…

Yes the Cerbo will be the primary link to your system, however I do find that my phone and the VictronConnect app is highly valuable for the SCC’s and Smartshunt.

Appreciate the feedback. Once VRM via Cerbo is working, I'll work through that path initially to get things done including remote VEConfigure, falling back to MK3-USB.

This project is an upgrade so BMS is coming after I get the major devices integrated, configured, and working. Having had personal experience with lithium cells catching on fire and some issues with the first DIY lithium pack, a new one was just built and installed. It is built using 8x280aH CATL Grade A EV cells, about 7.2 kWh. Being EV grade it can pull 3C which will serve as backup start battery in the bus conversion. EV cells also have higher charge thresholds.

The previous system used a Electrodacus SBMS 0 that served as solar charge controller and BMS. Once I get the SmartSolar installed and learn what it does and not, the BMS will be selected and installed. Until diving into Victron family of products, a JBD BMS would be the preferred choice but with the other Victron products in the mix, have to determine what is really needed. Active balancing is not something I need. Pack voltage and SOC can be derived elsewhere. Temperature sensors for high/low cutoff is not big on my list as being in NorCal, rarely gets cold or hot limits. Most BMS have temp sensing anyway as well as basic cell voltage monitoring.

So far, I still have a love/hate thing with Victron. Great products, I get the componentized products but it just adds more devices to connect and costs more than necessary. I love the SBMS0, it just doesn't integrate as tightly like other Victron products.

New battery - older Vanner charger/inverter. Replaced with the MultiPlus 24/3000. Newly installed MultiPlus. Tomorrow Cerbo GX and SmartSolar charge controller.

PXL_20230810_023800558.jpg
PXL_20230812_024716535.jpg

Back