diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on the selected gear

DAS TRD

Hi everyone, I'm up in central Alberta and I've been buying some gear to put together on top of our family truckster's rigid roof top tent. So far we want to have adequate power for a fridge, lights and electronic charging capabilities.
The truck is a third gen (current) Toyota Tacoma off road version. The system will be two 100w Renogy panels, battery one 100a Battle Born lithium, voltage regulator by Victron MPPT Smart Solar 100/20, Blue Sea USB ports. I'm thinking this will be adequate, any opinions or suggestions?
BTW, for wire I'm thinking 8awg will be good, opinions?

12/24 volt fridge pulls about 45-50 watts when running. Led lights about 10 watts each.

200 watts solar and 100Ah battery will handle that as long as you get at least 5 hours of good sunshine and ambient temp is not too hot.

You didn't mention an inverter. So no AC power needed?

12/24 volt fridge pulls about 45-50 watts when running. Led lights about 10 watts each.

200 watts solar and 100Ah battery will handle that as long as you get at least 5 hours of good sunshine and ambient temp is not too hot.

You didn't mention an inverter. So no AC power needed?
Hi and thanks for your reply, no inverter at the moment. For now just the above mentioned items. This set up is mostly for our trips either here in western Canada or our trips down south in the States.

Hi and thanks for your reply, no inverter at the moment. For now just the above mentioned items. This set up is mostly for our trips either here in western Canada or our trips down south in the States.
Not a bad idea to have a small inverter along. You can run a laptop and recharge lots of gadgets with a 175 watt inverter with no fan.

Down south you may get high temps so your fridge will run more but should still be Ok.

Not a bad idea to have a small inverter along. You can run a laptop and recharge lots of gadgets with a 175 watt inverter with no fan.

Down south you may get high temps so your fridge will run more but should still be Ok.
I think I will add a pure sine in the near future. Being in central Alberta we see a ton of sun year round. In case my little system can't cope with my solar I have the option of adding another 100w panel and if I have to add another Battle Born...it should be interesting. But I agree down south heat will require more power.

Back