diy solar

diy solar

Ordered new batteries from USA/Canadian company and they are not honouring their warranty

Chris vandette

Hello

I purchased 4 batteries from brand x - they are 170 amp hrs with a 5 yr warranty , 1- year full warranty then prorated post that

I will try and make this mess brief

i ordered 3 batteries then a week or so later I ordered a 4th battery , the price was good so why not

they shipped me 2 from the first ordered and a week later the one from the second order arrived , hey where is the 3rd battery from my first order

it took them a month or so to get me the last one ( battery number 3) from the first order , and it involved mega amounts of emails and getting the bbb involved , find out brand x needed to resign there license to ship with purolator

just days before i get the last battery from the first order brand x is panic emailing and calling me to refuse 3 of the batteries being delivered

I have no clue what’s going on ,delivery day , purolator just drops off 4 batteries and there gone , it’s covid and they don’t want any contact with customers and I didn’t see them anyhow

so in the end I find out that someone at brand x had resent the first order of 3 batteries to the warehouse and also the request for the missing battery to be shipped once brand x got permission to ship batteries again

i email brand x they say keep the extra 3 it’s to much to ship back to the warehouse , also they didn’t tell me but canada law says that a shipping mistake like this I get to keep the items

so I use 6 of the batteries in my solar system on my Rv , I have to reconfigure the space for the seventh battery so I never use it and keep it at home and play with it now and then

so the end of the season I want to test the capacity to make sure the setting on the charge control is okay , set for 14.2

well argh , all 7 batteries are well below capacity , anywhere from 50-70 percent of capacity, I do. 2 different tests like will prouse

contact brand x and it has been a month of email tag , as they don’t have a Canada support number just a USA one and I don’t have a plan and I have heard of people on hold for hours , email is my only option

they admit the batteries are defective but are stalling at doing anything , plus insist on only replacing the 4

what do you think I should do and should they replace all 7

What is this brand, so that we know who to stay away from. Also, are we talking about 12v, 24v, 48v batteries?

Communication is key and they clearly aren't doing that part very well, but as far as what to do it would be good to have some more technical details before formulating an opinion on what should be done.

the battery system is 12 volt the brand in Renogy , yes they are basically a reseller of Chinese goods

but at least have a good product and no or your warranty

I have emailed them out the ting yang and have the bbb involved agIan but they have no pull

I am worried I may have to get a lawyer involved

they admit the batteries are defective but are stalling at doing anything , plus insist on only replacing the 4

what do you think I should do and should they replace all 7

They are "insisting" on only replacing 4? And you want them to replace 3 extra they shipped you by mistake that you never paid for? Why on earth would they replace those also?? If you can get them to replace the 4 you paid for, that would be fair.

well argh , all 7 batteries are well below capacity , anywhere from 50-70 percent of capacity, I do. 2 different tests like will prouse
Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you do to perform this test.
I'm suspicious of Renogy but would need to know if you did a valid test before judging your situation.

Off hand, knowing that you paid for 4 batteries and ended up with 7, ... <i dunno, nothing i type sounds right>

On YouTube look up

will prowse capacity battery testing

i used the same testing method

Last edited:
I registered all the batteries for the warranty , yah it sounds stupid when I type it

but honestly when you give a gift that it ends up being defective , and your a manufacture, a different standard should apply

I don’t know what to think , in a lot of places the law is very specific if I purchase a item and it’s defective the warranty applies

but i cant find legal language for gifts , just all items must be merchantable ,ie must conform to what the manufacture says it does

when the battery has only 96 amphr and it’s rated at 170 , actually the tech said they are 180amphr batteries

dont know

and it shows my testing methods
That video shows nothing about how the battery was charged or its state at the start of the test.
The real problem is with that tester; i have the exact test unit and know that the 2 wire testers are incapable of working properly because they do not account for voltage sag properly. I've done a couple dozen flawed tests just like you have done. I hope to get some tests going with a 4 wire equivalent.

Maybe you have defective batteries, i cannot tell but i don't have enough info on your tests to judge.

Good luck getting this resolved!

I registered all the batteries for the warranty , yah it sounds stupid when I type it

but honestly when you give a gift that it ends up being defective , and your a manufacture, a different standard should apply

I don’t know what to think , in a lot of places the law is very specific if I purchase a item and it’s defective the warranty applies

but i cant find legal language for gifts , just all items must be merchantable ,ie must conform to what the manufacture says it does

when the battery has only 96 amphr and it’s rated at 170 , actually the tech said they are 180amphr batteries

dont know
They only owe you 4 and greed is a bad thing. You can certainly justify anything if you try hard enough. Karma is real and you are on the wrong side of it.

I did 2 types of tests

the 2 types are on the channel ,

fully charged battery via renogy 20 amp hr own battery charger

1-method via inverter and Drok meter

2-method via the little tester with Renogy amphr meter also

I don’t want to sound greedy , but they are not even honouring the warranty on the 4 I did buy
I got it brother but you showed you hand when you requested 7 to be replaced. I think you will be lucky and fortunate if they honor their warranty on the 4 you paid for. They know your recourse is limited. Yes you can go the legal route but in the end you will just be throwing good money after bad and you may end up in the exact same place as you are. I sympathize with your situation however sounds like you have burnt some bridges that you desperately need right now. Hope it all works out for you.

The longer they wait to replace the better it is for you.

Also, I hope they shaft you since you expect them to warranty the 3 you didn't pay for.

How weird is it that you would even have the gall to ask them to do that?
I was trying to say the same thing only a little kinder and gentler but point well made

Yeah I think you're getting treated the way you treated them when they requested you to refuse delivery of goods you didn't purchase.

I bet if you had been a more honest person with the shipment issue, they'd have bent over backwards to help you on this issue.

Don't burn a bridge then complain you can't get to the other side of the river.

holy shit guys

do I have to give you apes the complete story perbatim

I told them up front In the first email that I was given 3 extra and asked them what to do

they kept insisting on knowing the info on all 7 of the batteries

the option has always been on the table to either replace or refund the 4 , and asked if they would warranty them all , it been up to them

yah sure , it would be great to have all seven replaced , they owe me 4

the renogy charger is set for 14.6 , battery specs say 14.2 to 14.6

one charger I have that is broken i set for 14.2 , all tests where done

and dude with the you get what you deserve crap , wow , wasn’t there to refuse shit , it’s not my mistake to fix , they never gave me the info on shipping , so how the world am I suppose to know shit

Test we’re done post charging to 14.6 , max for that battery

also will prowse talks about actually needing less , to keep the battery lasting longer

the renogy charger is set for 14.6 , battery specs say 14.2 to 14.6

one charger I have that is broken i set for 14.2 , all tests where done

What kind of capacity do you get when charged at 14.6 volts?

You got 3 free batteries, a $1600.00 value. You want warranty on free. K?

They want you to capacity test all 7 because they will just tell you to keep the best 4 out of the 7 and then not ever have to talk to you again.

Back