diy solar

diy solar

Orion 24/12-70 Ground wire attachment

Dragoth

When installing the Orion 24/12-70 ground wire that connects to the 0v stud on the Orion, should it have the 24v ground or the 12v ground connected here? Or both? The instructions don't exactly lay it out although it does say ground wire(s) as in plural. I have been told mixed information regarding this particular attachment point and I'm hoping the more knowledgeable folks here can help educate me. (This is being installed in a 5th-wheel travel trailer if that matters.)

Should I run a cable from the 0v stud to the frame as well?

I connected both the 24 and 12 volt to the one ground stud. Doesn’t show in the pic; IMG_1391.jpegI put both wires in one lug and crimped it.

I connected both the 24 and 12 volt to the one ground stud. Doesn’t show in the pic; View attachment 213392I put both wires in one lug and crimped it.
Awesome. With my understanding of the systems I assumed it would be fine to ground them together, but wanted to ensure I wasn't going to screw something up. I assume you have had no issues with your system running it this way?

Awesome. With my understanding of the systems I assumed it would be fine to ground them together, but wanted to ensure I wasn't going to screw something up. I assume you have had no issues with your system running it this way?
I have that same unit..since last summer…used for a bit different purpose than you.
( I set up a 12 & 24v fuse blocks to power smaller stuff )….

I’m not suggesting how to wire your RV up , just how to make that little single post on the Victron easier to connect to…..using pretty good size wire… I used 4 ga….IIRC…

I got a good 4 post bussbar …and ran one single wire from the 0 post on the Victron to the my new bussbarr. then I hooked that bussbar to the main neg buss bar .
The different neg wires I need to go “here or there “ are coming from the new bussbarr not the single Victron post…it all works very well ..
Now everything is clean, easy to get to in my cramped area.

I have that same unit..since last summer…used for a bit different purpose than you.
( I set up a 12 & 24v fuse blocks to power smaller stuff )….

I’m not suggesting how to wire your RV up , just how to make that little single post on the Victron easier to connect to…..using pretty good size wire… I used 4 ga….IIRC…

I got a good 4 post bussbar …and ran one single wire from the 0 post on the Victron to the my new bussbarr. then I hooked that bussbar to the main neg buss bar .
The different neg wires I need to go “here or there “ are coming from the new bussbarr not the single Victron post…it all works very well ..
Now everything is clean, easy to get to in my cramped area.
Not a bad idea. I currently have 4awg running from my Lynx Power In negative bar to the 0 post. If it's no problem combining grounds, I'll probably just run my 12v ground to the same busbar on the Lynx and then leave the single wire to the Orion.

I install these on towboats and they work great.
Yes, the negative is common for both voltages.

I connected both the 24 and 12 volt to the one ground stud. Doesn’t show in the pic; View attachment 213392I put both wires in one lug and crimped it.
No issues. Going on 3 years. My max load is 50 amps for the leveling jacks.

When choosing wire size, be sure to include voltage loss for longer higher amperage 12 volt runs.

Not a bad idea. I currently have 4awg running from my Lynx Power In negative bar to the 0 post. If it's no problem combining grounds, I'll probably just run my 12v ground to the same busbar on the Lynx and then leave the single wire to the Orion.
It would be less hard if I had more room to work …but I don’t… that’s why I brought in the buss Barr ….but in this units case I would have done that anyway as it very tight in working room …..I despise any connection that is not orderly , or looks forced , not clearly visable to see well and get to, or just looks sloppy in it’s finished state…

I have had two “almost fires “ in my RV from loose ac breakers wires and wire nuts installed by the factory when I bought it new. Both times it was the slight smell of burning plastic that made me inquire as to what’s up…
The loose DC wire nut issue happened at 1 am while I’m in bed… it was mins away from going south and was all black and charred copper and plastic…..it had actually burned some of the copper wire away to dust…

RV’s go up like fatwood ………better be swift in getting moving …

I have seen several boat fires or smoking and melting events from the same sloppy work …

J.

Back