diy solar

diy solar

Panel Mounting on Radar Arch Suggestions

idylle1150

I'm mounting 2 panels on a radar arch and looking for ideas for install. The top of the arch isn't big enough to fasten all corners

I have aluminum angle and contemplating creating a 1 piece frame from aluminum sheet, attaching panels to sheet and sheet to arch

Also thinking of attaching angle to sides of arch and attaching angle to arch

Has anyone done this recently and improvised to crate a rigid attachment?

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_135635454.jpg
    PXL_20230924_135635454.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230924_135613761.jpg
    PXL_20230924_135613761.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 38
Using REC Alpha Black 395AA panels

Specs in photos

395w
~9a
~42v

Measure 1m x 1.8m
About 21% efficiency

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_124459754.jpg
    PXL_20230924_124459754.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230924_124455341.jpg
    PXL_20230924_124455341.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 4
To mint these panels on top of arch:

Can I use regular unistrut clamp/hanger or will that not work when mounting strut on top of pipe

These are rigid panels? They already have frames, and I would utilize those before adding more weight and complexity. They don't need to be supported at all four corners. If you get a bracket at 2 corners, and then 2 more brackets 2/3rds of the way along the sides that would be enough. If you are really concerned about strength, just use 2 pieces of angle, attached to the arch, and then attach the panels to them.

It doesn't need to be complicated. I attached my panels with large zip ties. Over 20k miles of a circumnavigation, storms, large braking waves, getting pooped on by waves, etc. They survived.

Since zip ties really are not ideal though, something like this. Clamp it on the tubing of the arch, and drill some holes in the panel frame to attach. This exact part might be too small for your arch tubes, but illustrates the idea.

To mint these panels on top of arch:

Can I use regular unistrut clamp/hanger or will that not work when mounting strut on top of pipe

If you are referring to the hangers that are a round clamp with a long bolt, then I would think they would be fine. Similar to what I posted which is a more purpose part for stainless tubing.

If you are referring to the hangers that are a round clamp with a long bolt, then I would think they would be fine. Similar to what I posted which is a more purpose part for stainless tubing.
One thing to avoid if possible- minimise any 'stainless to aluminium' direct connections as much as possible- although they are supposed to be 'relatively inert', in a salt water environment- they will corrode given enough time... (especially if there is physical movement between them as is likely in this case as it abrades the aluminium oxide layer that protects the aluminium from corrosion...)

One thing to avoid if possible- minimise any 'stainless to aluminium' direct connections as much as possible- although they are supposed to be 'relatively inert', in a salt water environment- they will corrode given enough time... (especially if there is physical movement between them as is likely in this case as it abrades the aluminium oxide layer that protects the aluminium from corrosion...)
True. Either use "tefgel" or plastic washers to insulate the differing metals. Tefgel works great, I use it everywhere. I have lots of stainless bolts in aluminum parts, and even after years they come apart easily with the tefgel still coating it. Where tefgel isn't used, drilling the bolts out is often required.

One thing to consider. Horizontal panels lose about 20/25% of their output compared to adjustable panels.

I used rubber washers between steel and aluminum. 1 inch unistrut with 2 panels

Pair of 395AA REC panels. Also primed & painted the unistrut and clamps. Intend to paint the panel frames also.

Thanks for the advice, I'm taking off for the Caribbean with 790w solar and 600ah of battery for a few months and will report back every so often

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_171543438.jpg
    PXL_20240217_171543438.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
Back