diy solar

diy solar

Point South no mater what or middle of available solar path?

I'm trying to figure out the best direction to place my solar panels. The spot I'm eyeing gets sunlight from around 7 am until about 5 pm, but then trees block the sun. Should I aim the panels directly south, assuming an unobstructed view of the sun throughout the day? Or would it be better to angle them slightly towards the east, to catch more of the morning sun? Essentially, if my solar coverage is from sunrise to 5 pm, should I align my panels with the midpoint of that time span instead of assuming a full 180-degree arc of sunlight?

The best production in kWhs is South facing. In my situation the rate paid for export goes up significangtly after 4PM so economically there is an advantage to have some West facing panels. It all depends on where you are standing.

I second for the midpoint of 7a-5p. you will likely find its pretty close to solar south. That gives maximum yield. Only change would be if the "rush" of solar energy is too much in too small a time frame for your current equipment .I am satisfied with my amount of "south" panels. Next set will be a ground mount a-frame with east and west panels to gather it, sooner and later in the day. It will also put less stress on my batteries....ABC's always be charging.....
https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ is a good reference.

Reactions: Bop
@exmarkretired I agree except I think a vertical N-S solar "fence" using bifacial panels with some front facing E and some front facing W would be better. The final selection of E or W would be made depending on when you want the power. With ground mounts it is also easy to sight 1/2 of the S panels at 160deg & 1/2 at 200deg thus widening the peak. Bifacial panels are very worthwhile as long as the mounts are optimized to get the MAX light on the back. Most mounting systems aren't bifacial friendly, the best are seasonally adjustable ground mounts that mount panels on the long edge, have no rails obstructing the rear face, and have at least 3' space under the front of the panel.

@Gold Country Russ I like your idea of vertical bi-facials and am still entertaining the idea. If I had not already purchased a pallet of panels .... The bifacial price keeps getting more attractive.. Other consideration for me was wind load. Another member shared his "a-frame" idea and we just recently had a tornado nearby. So the a-frame hopefully is wind resistant enough for me...

@Gold Country Russ I like your idea of vertical bi-facials and am still entertaining the idea. If I had not already purchased a pallet of panels .... The bifacial price keeps getting more attractive.. Other consideration for me was wind load. Another member shared his "a-frame" idea and we just recently had a tornado nearby. So the a-frame hopefully is wind resistant enough for me...
I am dabbling with a simple mount design for 90MPH wind that would mount 3.5'x7' bifacial panels horizontally between posts. County wants 1ft under panels so just over 8' tall if 2 high or 5' tall one high. Probably require deep 16" holes and lots of concrete. Won't be cheap or easy but for driving a heat pump early on a winter morning or A/C late on a summer afternoon, priceless.

@Gold Country Russ I agree with your plan. My A/C runs from June to almost December these days... so I am really looking forward to having full batteries as the sun goes down...and harnessing the early morning sun. A-coil is coming out and Heat pump is next on the list. I burn wood when the temps fall below heat pump efficient temps...

@Gold Country Russ I agree with your plan. My A/C runs from June to almost December these days... so I am really looking forward to having full batteries as the sun goes down...and harnessing the early morning sun. A-coil is coming out and Heat pump is next on the list. I burn wood when the temps fall below heat pump efficient temps...
What state & county R U? Our A/C on all day yesterday & today, luckily it still runs perfect & is super high efficiency though it is old, obsolete, and has zero support. Nothing good to say about the propane furnace though. Probably next year I will replace it all with an inverter split unit heat pump. Transferring heating from propane to PV & battery. Next week I am ordering a 24K DC/AC heat pump that will run all summer on temporary PV and no AC power. Already poured a little slab for the condensing unit. Have a wood stove too but prefer to use it mostly for guests, Thanksgiving, & XMAS.

Back