diy solar

diy solar

Pole Mounted Solar Panels

I'm in a similar situation. I think I have a workable option in my case. My goal is to mount three 335Watt panels on a chain-link fence post (2 3/8" diameter). I wanted something where I could manually tilt both in the vertical and horizontal axis.

I've been favoring this DIY approach:
eBay - Universal solar panel pole mount kit, holds 2 large panels or 4 125 watt pan.

I have a working improvised proto-type. The pics below are a 1st attempt with 2 panels on the pole, just trying out the concept. I've since moved it further away from the house and bolted everything down better. The thin Aluminum Channels (3/4" by 3/4" by 8') I have on it now (pictured) are not strong enough rails. Although, after 2 weeks now, the panels are still on the pole, but just barely.

View attachment 1141View attachment 1142View attachment 1143View attachment 1144

Today, I just bought a thick Aluminum plate (3/8" thick by 12" by 12") and some bigger Aluminum Channels as rails (1" by 2" by 8') locally from Grainger. I'm gonna see if I can possibly fit a 3rd panel on this weekend. Guess we'll see if it might be too much or not. I was gonna post a thread once I had a decent working concept.

Trying to keep it reasonably simple, somewhat low-cost, easy to clean/ maintain, etc... And, I'd like to be able to take it down and possibly relocate it later on.
How did the fences post work out ?

Here is my V4.0 ground mount. I'm very proud of the cantelevered trusses supporting the rear. I mounted my panels in portrait because I'm committed to 120VDC with my system. In landscape I would have room to mount 6 panels. That would be 1500W per array mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 49
How did the fences post work out ?
Pretty good. I made a 2nd similar pole mount. I like it! A simple setup. The posts, U-bolts, and wood back-plate concept can be found at your local big box store. The Aluminum C-channels and a thick aluminum plate, I had to order and wait a few days before I could pick them up at the local Grainger store. You could probably improvise the Aluminum C-channels with 2x4's or Slotted super-strut or something along those lines, but I was trying to keep things light. Though you do need something fairly sturdy to support the panels.

I tried 3 panels on one pole mount. It works, but it was not balanced. I think it would be OK if I off-centered it to compensate and had I permanently set the pole in the ground (concrete). It looked similar to the leaning tower of Pisa. Although, it's probably too much panel for the pole mount in really bad weather conditions (ie. Hurricanes). 2 large panels seems a good fit for this type of mount.

Currently, I have two 390W panels on each of the two pole mounts. Easy to pivot up/ down and left/ right throughout the day when I'm home. I just used some wooden shims from an old wooden fence slat to wedge between the U-bolts and the poles to allow movement and to hold the set positions. It's been working well, even with inclement weather and temperature changes.

I still haven't permanently set them. I just dug a 2 foot hole for the ground pole. I've been apprehensive to make them permanent as I may have to slightly re-locate them to accommodate for changes in seasons. I have a small back yard with shading challenges that changes throughout the year. Also, I'm usually experimenting, testing, setting up mock-ups then bringing some of the stuff up to an off-grid recreational camp. I can set the pole mounts up and take 'em down on my own without too much trouble.

Cleaning the panels is pretty easy as well. I just use a soft car wash brush on an adjustable pole to brush off dust, pollen, leaves, etc... then I change to a car squeegee with foam scrubber attachment and a spray bottle of water to get the rest (ie bird poop, pasted pollen, etc...). Cleans-up well in 10 minutes or so.

I'd setup more of them if I had the room.

Currently, I just have loose 8AWG wires running from each pole (panels are wired in parallel for 24V Nominal) to an indoor sub-panel box used as a combiner box then to the charge controller. I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to the expensive combiner boxes. It'd be nice to find one that costs less than the solar panels.

Pretty good. I made a 2nd similar pole mount. I like it! A simple setup. The posts, U-bolts, and wood back-plate concept can be found at your local big box store. The Aluminum C-channels and a thick aluminum plate, I had to order and wait a few days before I could pick them up at the local Grainger store. You could probably improvise the Aluminum C-channels with 2x4's or Slotted super-strut or something along those lines, but I was trying to keep things light. Though you do need something fairly sturdy to support the panels.

I tried 3 panels on one pole mount. It works, but it was not balanced. I think it would be OK if I off-centered it to compensate and had I permanently set the pole in the ground (concrete). It looked similar to the leaning tower of Pisa. Although, it's probably too much panel for the pole mount in really bad weather conditions (ie. Hurricanes). 2 large panels seems a good fit for this type of mount.

Currently, I have two 390W panels on each of the two pole mounts. Easy to pivot up/ down and left/ right throughout the day when I'm home. I just used some wooden shims from an old wooden fence slat to wedge between the U-bolts and the poles to allow movement and to hold the set positions. It's been working well, even with inclement weather and temperature changes.

I still haven't permanently set them. I just dug a 2 foot hole for the ground pole. I've been apprehensive to make them permanent as I may have to slightly re-locate them to accommodate for changes in seasons. I have a small back yard with shading challenges that changes throughout the year. Also, I'm usually experimenting, testing, setting up mock-ups then bringing some of the stuff up to an off-grid recreational camp. I can set the pole mounts up and take 'em down on my own without too much trouble.

Cleaning the panels is pretty easy as well. I just use a soft car wash brush on an adjustable pole to brush off dust, pollen, leaves, etc... then I change to a car squeegee with foam scrubber attachment and a spray bottle of water to get the rest (ie bird poop, pasted pollen, etc...). Cleans-up well in 10 minutes or so.

I'd setup more of them if I had the room.

Currently, I just have loose 8AWG wires running from each pole (panels are wired in parallel for 24V Nominal) to an indoor sub-panel box used as a combiner box then to the charge controller. I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to the expensive combiner boxes. It'd be nice to find one that costs less than the solar panels.
Thanks.

If you are looking for ideas you might consider something along the lines of what I am planning.
I like working with "junk", recycling stuff that previously was used for something else. In the unit I'm planning (Will's "Classic 400 Watt") I want to be able to adjust both for angle to the sun as well as to be able to track the sun. My thoughts are to stand a trailer axle on end with the bottom end embedded in a slab of concrete (so this won't a mobile rig). The upright end will still have a rim on the end of the axle. To the rim I will weld a frame/support to which I will attach the panels. The wheel bearing and axle will easily support the weight of four panels (I'm building Will's Classic 400 Watt system) and the angle iron frame. The wheel bearing will allow transiting/tracking the sun. How you power the rotation/tracking I leave to your imagination (what I'm toying with would put off most people...it won't be electric). Working with steel is easy and a good surface prep and coat of paint will give years of protection. I will put dielectric insulators to protect from galvanic action between the aluminum frames of the solar panels and the steel angle iron supports (cut off pieces of HDPE from a plastic barrel or bucket). And excepting one's labor, it will be inexpensive ( if one is a good scrounger.. close on free).
Hope this helps,
Wiley
I like you axel idea, might steel it. Leave the brake lines and shoes on top drum then you could figure a way to pump hydraulic fluid to hold in place.

The pole without the wheel is a pole in side of a pole in the ground. Pressure treated 2x4's with hole at mid point for racking & balance. Mounted the panels through the 2x4's with long bolts and nuts. The other pole has wheel so I can walk the whole thing around in a circle. If there are heavy winds it acts like a wind sock and turns into the wind. You can face it or tilt in any direction. Very cheep to build.

Attachments

• P3250521.JPG
    P3250521.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P3250522.JPG
    P3250522.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 50
Here's a pic of my three panel arrays. Easy to balance when they are in single file. These are 72 cell panels so their voltage is about 38VDC. Wired in series they are 115-116VDC. My other arrays with four 60 cell panels are 118VDC. Have them all bringing power into the same combiner box. They all mate well.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 42
I run a small structural design and consulting firm in Houston and have supported several hundred solar arrays. Most have been roof mounted but some ground mounted.

These images are for a Bifacial array design we did intended for an AgriVoltaic application. We design in Revit 3d.

I am at the beginning phases of a 3d design concept that is column or pole mounted using six or eight full-size panels. I am considering both tracking and also manual folding if a hurricane is expected. Three or four such column mounted sub arrays would make up the whole array so 18 to 32 panels in total.

The lower clearance target is 7 feet with top expected to be 10 to 12 feet. Removable or de-constructible helical steel piling foundation, with anti theft fasteners, cameras and alarms etc. The array will likely feed a battery system for support of HVAC and EV charging through underground conduit. I also have a local digital design metal fabricator erector to help if the concept becomes reality.7BD9E7E5-1745-4D3C-8A7B-A14C98F64F2E.jpegFB475FA8-A26D-4169-AD1D-ECD5F1B6CABD.jpeg

This should already be an appliance offered by Samsung or Tesla, but I think it will be a common residential application within 1 to 5 years. No reason to wait! I will post as the design progresses and welcome any collaboration or synergies.

7BD9E7E5-1745-4D3C-8A7B-A14C98F64F2E.jpegFB475FA8-A26D-4169-AD1D-ECD5F1B6CABD.jpeg

Has there been any real-world experience with the implementation of this design? I would be extremely concerned about wind-shear. I personally would rather see a truss at least supporting the first 1/2 of the structure, not the first 5%. A second vertical member at the opposing end would have been how I would have done it?

I would be very concerned about those welded joints in a thunder storm with 50-60 mph wind speeds!

Back