diy solar

diy solar

Prepping for impending grid outage

LADETROIT

Is there a thread where we can discuss preparations for the impending grid down scenario. Grid down power up documentary is on YouTube

Basically that is a "off-grid" scenario or a hybrid scenario that includes batteries and/or generator. There is an offgrid forum on this site that might be helpful for you..

In an emergency the vast majority of our energy usage can be cut loose (clothes dryer, hot water). The exception being winter heating, blower and circulation fans. My oil furnace draws about 450 watts for example and those Wh can really add up.

Refrigeration would probably be the biggest remaining load but even a modest off grid system woukd be able to handle that.

If an emp kicks off, grid down for sure but do we know if that would actually effect our MPPTs, inverters or BMS ?

I think an EMP is less likely than a physical attack on the electrical grid. With who knows who has come across the southern border over the last 3 years anything can happen. Do an internet search on "national electric grid vulnerabilities"
There are only a couple dozen critical interconnect substations, those that convert the 384,000 and above volt transmission lines to lower voltages for distribution and most have no physical security.

National Electric Grid Vulnerabilities

National Electric Grid Vulnerabilities

I am a bit more worried about water from the TX example a few years ago when a few of the municipal water supplies shut down for lack of power.
Have a pool but might need to look at some of those filters to make sure it is drinkable.

If you like fiction and want to read a series of books on the results of an EMP, internet search for author "William Forstchen".
Takes place in Black Mountain/Montreat North Carolina.

Couple of hours from me and I had to drive up there just to see the community. Pretty much as described in the books.

Is there a thread where we can discuss preparations for the impending grid down scenario. Grid down power up documentary is on YouTube
If you can’t EMP proof everything you own then Having electricity with nothing to run won’t really help.

I guess resistive heat and incandescent light bulbs will still work.

Last edited:
As shown a couple of years ago a rifle round or 2 in a transformer ends it. A few people shooting into substations could wipe out electric in large areas. And those transformers are currently a 3-4 YEAR lead time to replace and come from China.

As nobodysbusiness points out , while its possible to shield your power producing items (spares), (SCC, panels, inverters etc) its really not possible to shield all your appliances you intend to run. Maybe you could put backup furnaces, fridges, freezers, etc all in a storage container, but thats about it, Would mean alot of moving things and hooking them up after, but then why not just live in the container?

I suppose the most effective preparation for any such event would be to completely disconnect from the grid. Most equipment failure will be caused by v/m energy from the power lines. I believe the E1 pulse is most damaging to disconnected equipment but is relatively short range compared to E2 and 3. Longer term problems will present when people notice your lights are on.

We would figure it out. In 2020 store shelves actually got a bit bare, and none of that "oh as soon as the shelves look empty, all hell will break loose" stuff turned out to be true. People just said ok no chicken or beans today, we'll figure out something else.

Water system has generators, gas stations have generators, we'd get by.

Back