diy solar

diy solar

Reliable product to replace Chinese all-in-one inverter

Oak77

Hello solar community,

I am seeking a reliable replacement for my current 5 KW (on paper only) all-in-one solar inverter. I was considering Victron Energy "Multi RS Solar" with dual trackers, but I feel I'm driven away by complexity of Victron's product options (after 3 weeks of reading manuals and posts I am as confused as in the beginning) and policies (apparently asking what Victron's product is suitable for me is a "broad" subject, "not encouraged" and has to be "locked", aka banned). I don't rule out Victron, I'm just unable to evaluate it myself, having no experience with real devices.
I'm on European market.

This is my current setup (which I purchased as a kit in 2022), after about year or two of watching Will's videos:

Solar_system_upgrade.png

Basic requirements:
  • Reliable product from proven producer with a potential of long-term support. I have enough of my Chinese SunStone inverter, after one warranty repair, one warranty replacement and like dozens other problems.
  • Confidently prevent exporting power to the grid
  • Run it in "Solar first, battery next, grid last" configuration
  • Use my server-rack batteries with their own BMSs
  • Use my current 9 solar panelsin series @ 455 Wp (432V, 4.1 KWp in total) on a single string.
    • This seems to be disadvantage of Victron's Multi RS, since I'd have to split them into two strings due to 3KWp per tracker limitation and run 2nd set of cables, which could mean major construction works. The protection tube has like 6 turns, some of them tight and I doubt it's possible to pull new cables through.
    • And do I count with theoretical panel power, or with real, which never goes above 89% (providing metering was precise)?
  • The output of old inverter was 5 KW on paper, but I believe the real one was lower. I'm aiming roughly at 5-6 KW of real output power (so perhaps 8 KW inverter could be also a good fit, if real-world performance is like 6 KW).
  • Allow future expansion of my south-facing solar field (2nd string East facing approx same, or two smaller East and West), possibly also battery expansion.
  • meaningfully control the settings remotely via an Android and/or web app.
Could you please suggest, what product(s) would you recommend and why?

Check out the EG4, Growatt, or MPP solar hybrid inverters. Those are highly regarded and rated. Should serve your purpose well.

With no export allowed, you don't want a hybrid AIO. (Some can always slip out)
You want an off grid AIO. (Isn't capable of export)
The Growatt SPF-5000-ES would be my recommendation for the European market. With Solar Assistant for monitoring and control.
The only issue is your larger format panels. 9s is too high of a voltage . Would have to go with 8s for the panels you have.
8s2p would be optimal, assuming that your existing wiring is large enough.
Or 8s3p with multiple roof angles.
Easily expandable in the future for more output, battery, and solar. (Up to 6 units)

You can split the panel wiring near the array

I would still go with Victron depending on what server rack batteries you have

Solark 5k is $2700 right now at Stellavolta.

Sounds like you might want the 8k version though.

victron multiplus 48/8000 and a charge controller for a low frequency solution
or growatt spf 5000 es as timselectric mentioned for a high frequency solution

Personally, I would not hook up any inverter to my home that did not have transformer isolation. Only exemption would be maybe an isolated circuit, like a water heating element. Now is a good time to buy a real inverter.

cue the "mines been working without issues" crowd in 3....2.....1.....

Check out the EG4, Growatt, or MPP solar hybrid inverters. Those are highly regarded and rated. Should serve your purpose well.

Some of those aren't on the European market (EG4 for example).

Solark 5k is $2700 right now at Stellavolta.

Sounds like you might want the 8k version though.

Not in Europe.

Not much other option than Victron. SMA and Fronius would be otherwise exellent choices but need high voltage battery like everything nowadays.

I did check already, they all seem to be a brands that sell only in the US/North America, no presence in Europe. They're probably rebranding some high-end Chinese sets, so those are probably sold in Europe under another brands. But even if I can get the same box with a different name, the brand name is the shield against low quality and some guarantee for a support. So your advice is good, but unfortunately not applicable to me...

Not much other option than Victron. SMA and Fronius would be otherwise exellent choices but need high voltage battery like everything nowadays.
That's what I fear :) . I got actually a follow up to my first question on Victron forums and it seems Multi RS + Cerbo GX might be a good choice. It would be great to be sure though, before I buy toys for $3000.

With no export allowed, you don't want a hybrid AIO. (Some can always slip out)
You want an off grid AIO. (Isn't capable of export)
The Growatt SPF-5000-ES would be my recommendation for the European market. With Solar Assistant for monitoring and control.
The only issue is your larger format panels. 9s is too high of a voltage . Would have to go with 8s for the panels you have.
8s2p would be optimal, assuming that your existing wiring is large enough.
Or 8s3p with multiple roof angles.
Easily expandable in the future for more output, battery, and solar. (Up to 6 units)
Yes, this is available here, quite cheap too (costs like 1/3 of Victron Multi RS + Cerbo GX), but off-grid is probably not the best option for me. When batteries will get low then what? The power goes out, I guess? You could compensate it with a smart switch which switches within few miliseconds to grid. But the old AIO inverter could boost up the power with grid input at high demands That was until I got replacment unit, which switches to grid completely and never back, have to cycle grid main; this problem is just another in the long row which I had with the cheap unit.
Victron Multi RS Solar supposedly can't return anything to the grid and I think they really do have state-of-the-art robust electronics, so I think I might be quite confident there(?). Not so much with cheap Chinese products, even when they state it.

I think most are made in China. Maybe Victron is not.
IMHO you are about right, about who produces components and maybe whole assemblies. But quality here is about the brand, that shields you from rubbish and introduces "Euro/American" safety and business culture. Even many Chinese brands have quality products sold all over the world and you'd be shocked to learn, that the same products sold in China might be absolutely terrible, with up to 100% failure rate. Selling officially stuff in Europe (not via "markets" like Aliexpress, Temu,...) makes companies to adhere i.e. to 2-year warranty and expectation of quality and customer service. I did get warranty repair in Germany, replacement unit from my local seller, consulting services, etc., but I'm still unhappy with troublesome nature of the product. Instead of like 5 claims, it really should have been like dozen (got tired and happy with the replacement unit actually meaningfully charging the batteries).
Another point for me is the money. I don't want to buy product from a country, which literally will use the money to harm and enslave people. It doesn't really matter who produces the product, but where does the added value goes (by far largest part). That's why buying a Victron or XYZ US or European brand would be meaningful for me.

Curious, where were you locked and/or banned?
Victron's forum. I wasn't banned, only 1 post of mine was locked for replies with a moderator reply, that my question is too broad. I was thinking of rephrasing the question to be clear that I ask for answer like "Multi RS solar + Cerbo GX" or "Multiplus+XXX MPPT+YYY+CerboGX", but I don't think it was misunderstood. I think they don't want to do it, though I don't understand why. It's scaring customers away right at the beginning (those who don't have an electrician/company experienced in Victron products nearby).

Personally, I would not hook up any inverter to my home that did not have transformer isolation. Only exemption would be maybe an isolated circuit, like a water heating element. Now is a good time to buy a real inverter.

cue the "mines been working without issues" crowd in 3....2.....1.....
Unfortunately your point remains hidden to me, since I don't know what you mean by transformer isolation ore "real inverter". Perhaps if you explain which one is real and why.

Yes, this is available here, quite cheap too (costs like 1/3 of Victron Multi RS + Cerbo GX), but off-grid is probably not the best option for me. When batteries will get low then what? The power goes out, I guess?
It has a built-in transfer switch. And switches back to grid, if the grid is available.

I'd be happy with a good solution from Victron, but I'm struggling to find specific information, especially examples of my application. It seems like most people are either off-grid or they're on-gird and exporting power.

Back