diy solar

diy solar

Relocate Chassis Battery

gr8pix

Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California, Mexico
Hello, I'm looking for guidance on relocating my chassis battery on my Class A from under my steps to the engine compartment to accommodate a new 24v 200ah Lithium house battery. I have ample room in my engine bay area which would require around 10ft of battery cables as well as custom making a mounting plate, cover etc.. I'm planning on installing a 24V Victron Multiplus II in the compartment just forward of the steps as well as 2 Orion 24-12v 70A dc converters to my DC distribution loads. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG20231007144413.jpg
    IMG20231007144413.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I have ample room in my engine bay area which would require around 10ft of battery cables as well as custom making a mounting plate, cover etc..
Sounds good.

Are you relocating the House batteries or chassis Battery?

Not an issue. My 4 chassis batteries are right next to its alternator by default. Makes much more sense anyways

Not an issue. My 4 chassis batteries are right next to its alternator by default. Makes much more sense anyways
Thank you! My concern is that the 12v battery is hooked up to the house 12v distribution system and is charged through the 12v charger/converter while driving or on shore power. I believe this will have to be disabled upon installing the Multiplus II.

Correct. There's usually a fuse or something you can disconnect to turn this off. The house won't charge while driving and the chassis won't charge when parked but not really an issue. Buy a 12v trickle charger for the house batteries and if you want to charge while driving get a DC to dc converter

Correct. There's usually a fuse or something you can disconnect to turn this off. The house won't charge while driving and the chassis won't charge when parked but not really an issue. Buy a 12v trickle charger for the house batteries and if you want to charge while driving get a DC to dc converter
That's what I suspected, thanks very much for the info! I'll post a wiring diagram of blending the new 24v system with the existing 12v distribution shortly.

I think I just found a simple and cost effective solution here

I would recommend testing to make sure your proposed location doesn’t get too hot. Engine compartment temperatures can get astoundingly high. I’d stick a remote thermometer inside your battery spot and see what temperature you get. High temperature will drastically reduce the lifespan of your batteries.

I would recommend testing to make sure your proposed location doesn’t get too hot. Engine compartment temperatures can get astoundingly high. I’d stick a remote thermometer inside your battery spot and see what temperature you get. High temperature will drastically reduce the lifespan of your batteries.
That's a good idea, I'm planning on welding a battery plate placed low in the front of the engine compartment. I have a wireless BBQ thermometer that I can fasten to monitor on my next drive.

Attachments

• IMG20231009092217.jpg
    IMG20231009092217.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Not all batteries are rated for exposure to the elements. I camp at temperatures well below 32 F, so I relocated my LiFePO4 batteries inside the camper.

Not all batteries are rated for exposure to the elements. I camp at temperatures well below 32 F, so I relocated my LiFePO4 batteries inside the camper.
I plan on putting one 24v 200AH inside directly beside the one that's going under the steps and installing a cabinet/computer desk to contain it. I may add a couple of 120mm computer fans if needed.

I have two small computer fans in my battery compartment. They don't come on that often, which kind of surprised me. There are two solar charge controllers in the same compartment. The inverter compartment has on 6" fan which comes on well before the fans in the battery box.

That's a good idea, I'm planning on welding a battery plate placed low in the front of the engine compartment. I have a wireless BBQ thermometer that I can fasten to monitor on my next drive.
Check the temperature in that location idling with the engine fully warmed up and facing the sun (similar to the conditions you will get stuck in traffic)

Back