diy solar

diy solar

Remotely Monitoring BASIC 12v Solar System, Why is there not an easy solution for this???

ADDvanced

Okay, super short version, I have a property about 2000+ miles from my house, and on that property I have a converted school bus, and a shed for snow removal equipment. I am installing 400w of solar panels, and 400Ah of lithium batteries, and TBD charge controller. The batteries will operate an NVR and several cameras, and a 4g router, this will allow me to keep an eye on my property from anywhere in the world.

That said.... how the hell do you monitor the solar system itself? On the bus, I have a renogy rover charge controller w blue tooth dongle, and it works great, but they don't offer a wifi version, only a CELL dongle that costs $100+ a year. I am already paying for WIFI at this location, and I'm streaming VIDEO. A couple 1s and 0s to show how much energy I am getting, the state of charge of the batteries, and energy use is apparently too much to ask in 2022???

What gives? Is there a charge controller that has WIFI connectivity that I am not aware of?

Is there any off the shelf solution that works with a decent established company? I am seeing some chinese MPPT controllers that have a wifi enabled module and an app to allow you to view it... why doesn't renogy or victron have something like this?

The silly answer is point another camera at it.

But im pretty sure what you want exists and is even common, i just don't know anything about it because i've decided not to involve any wireless connectivity into my system at all and have been ignoring that subject. But i think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find exactly what you're looking for once someone comes in here and names it. ?

You'd think but I have been searching for days with no luck. I could point a camera at it but the inefficiency of transmittiing video when it should be a couple KB or less is just irritating.

Victron cerbo gx. Pretty sure it has wireless connectivity and will allow you to monitor your solar stuff from anywhere.

Here’s a link the Victrons sub section of system monitoring and remote control devices.

Last edited:
You'd think but I have been searching for days with no luck. I could point a camera at it but the inefficiency of transmittiing video when it should be a couple KB or less is just irritating.
Ring camera mounted next to it wouldn’t be a bad idea

Solar Assistant is easy. I bought it, ran the cables to everything and turned it on. Now I can monitor everything, or change the settings, from anywhere in the world.

But I don't need an inverter, and that requires an inverter. I'm fine with just an MPPT controller

Solar Assistant is easy. I bought it, ran the cables to everything and turned it on. Now I can monitor everything, or change the settings, from anywhere in the world.
Sounds like what I need. Are there different models?

The silly answer is point another camera at it.

But im pretty sure what you want exists and is even common, i just don't know anything about it because i've decided not to involve any wireless connectivity into my system at all and have been ignoring that subject. But i think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find exactly what you're looking for once someone comes in here and names it. ?

I use a baby monitor to watch the engines in the boat. Steam or smoke down there I will know it.

The answer to the OP might be here www.google.com/search?q=marine+remote+monitoring all kinds of stuff to watch boats. No power no pumps can = big problems.

I don't really need an inverter....
My apologies. Solar assistant like the other said is probably your best bet if it works for your set up …Not sure if it works with just an mppt controller. What brand mppt controller are you considering? I saw it said TBD above

Victron offers their VRM remote management software also free of charge which is like Dolar assistant.

Is there any off the shelf solution that works with a decent established company? I am seeing some chinese MPPT controllers that have a wifi enabled module and an app to allow you to view it... why doesn't renogy or victron have something like this?
They do. A victron charge controller with a cerbo gx will allow you to monitor and control settings from anywhere in the world.

Sounds like what I need. Are there different models?
You can buy just the software and use your own Raspberry Pi. Or buy it already loaded on a Pi. (This is what I did) I purchased directly from SA. But, watts247 now carries them too.

So question branching off from this, I have a renogy 12v system with mppt controller in my bus, and I have a seperate 1500w inverter. I turn the inverter off when not in use, because I was told it consumes energy just having it on.

For combination/more residential units like GroWatt, that combine a MPPT charge controller AND inverter, is that less efficient because the inverter is on all the time??? Or is it like a "smart" inverter that only pulls power when there is a load?

Sorry for the newb questions, absorbing lots of technical info like a sponge but unclear on basic stuff like that.

So question branching off from this, I have a renogy 12v system with mppt controller in my bus, and I have a seperate 1500w inverter. I turn the inverter off when not in use, because I was told it consumes energy just having it on.

For combination/more residential units like GroWatt, that combine a MPPT charge controller AND inverter, is that less efficient because the inverter is on all the time??? Or is it like a "smart" inverter that only pulls power when there is a load?

Sorry for the newb questions, absorbing lots of technical info like a sponge but unclear on basic stuff like that.
Typically the All In One (AIO) units consume more power in stand by. Usually around 50-70 watts.

Back