diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 550w panels ... ordered 4

50ShadesOfDirt

Solar Enthusiast
To replace some older 265w panels feeding into main system. The 550's will be in 2s2p, and will max out my single existing midnite solar classic 150 (per midnite's calculator); the 265's will feed into other smaller projects.

renogy 550 (key) specs:
https:// www.renogy.com/550-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/
- Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 41.97V
- Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 49.95V
- Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 13.11A
- Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 14.05A
- Operating Temperature: -40°F to 185°F
- Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 25A

Panels got close to me once, but shipper couldn't find my exact (rural) location, and gave up by the time I became aware they were in the vicinity. Will try to meet them and get these (8') panels.

Will take some time to get them into new south-facing carport design (wife could care less about the specs, just wants "no snow" on her car), but I'll report back when they are up.

Should be receiving these monday 3/6 ... got me thinking about how to verify receipt (of undamaged panels). Renogy says on their "return policy" page:

https://www.renogy.com/returns/

"We will pay for return of shipper-damaged panels ..."

That seems great ... they would replace a damaged panel; implies to me that I don't need to unbox each (monster 4'x8') panel, I just need to take lots of phone pics. I assume these will be on a pallet, given a weight of 300+ pounds. CEVA transport is the shipper. Then unbox, temporarily save packaging, and verify within 30 days. Anything damaged/cracked, open a ticket at the above page ... and wait, and possibly dicker a bit.

I ordered these off of Amazon, via the "renogy store", so we'll see how many (out of 4) are damaged upon receipt ... a test of the packing skill of Renogy against the shipping industry.

On the construction side, these will be built into the roof of a (diy wood-framed) carport (next to the utility shed holding solar gear), and will replace some 265w panels, which are in "awning" format. Plan on wrapping each in 2x4's, then bolting everything together; follow the bolt plan to achieve highest force load protection. Leaks aren't critical, in my mind, for an open-sided carport; the rain/snow is sideways most of the time, anyway. Carports, where possible, are nifty solutions for (smaller amounts of) panels.

Can't seem to find a renogy panel installation guide online, but still searching. Hopefully, something is in the box. Will figure out grounding later, if I successfully get these things up in the air during construction phase.

Unpack them on delivery before signing if possible. Have a helper, box cutters, pry bar, whatever you need. Give the guy a bottle of something and $20 for helping/waiting.

Imho-Rejected shipment 1000 times better that post receipt claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRH
Panels rec'd, all 4 are verified not broken ... came through shipping just fine.

These are nicely packed by Renogy, two per box and facing each other w/ innovative styrofoam spacers all around the two panel frames, such that an "air gap" is between the panels and the exterior box. Box is simply two sheets of cardboard, strapped together to fold around panels, so the panel frame also lends strength to the box. Packaging engineers earned their money on this effort ...

Outside corners & random areas of box get dinged/scuffed/punctured here and there, due to shipping, but panels come through perfectly fine. It's actually pretty nifty ...

If anyone else looking to purchase these 4'x8' panels, they look to survive shipping ...

Panels rec'd, all 4 are verified not broken ... came through shipping just fine.

These are nicely packed by Renogy, two per box and facing each other w/ innovative styrofoam spacers all around the two panel frames, such that an "air gap" is between the panels and the exterior box. Box is simply two sheets of cardboard, strapped together to fold around panels, so the panel frame also lends strength to the box. Packaging engineers earned their money on this effort ...

Outside corners & random areas of box get dinged/scuffed/punctured here and there, due to shipping, but panels come through perfectly fine. It's actually pretty nifty ...

If anyone else looking to purchase these 4'x8' panels, they look to survive shipping ...
I just received 2 yesterday and agree well packed.

Wonder how these compare performance wise to SGP 450w. Seems like a good price if purchasing 4 or more plus free shipping and no tax.
I want / need more panels and I'm torn between big new and expensive or used older and cheap... Still kicking myself for only buying 20 used Q cells.

Back